PDA

View Full Version : Insomnia!

DawnUK
07-01-04, 15:21
Although i've been having panic attacks on and off for years, insomnia isn't something i've suffered from - til now! I've probably had about 4 or 5 hours sleep in total duing the past 4 days and I feel like i'm going mad! At night I try to get to sleep, but the moment I drop off, the shakes I keep suffering from (probably coz i'm so tired!) wake me up with a mini-panic. I've now missed 3 days of work coz what with the panic attacks and lack of sleep, i'm in no fit state to work, let alone manage to drive there in the first place!

Any tips?

Cheers [8D]

Dawn.

bananarbabe
07-01-04, 17:43
Hi Dawn,

There are a number of good posts about insomina around this board. But I had a bout of it a few days ago and I was such a wreck. Anyways, here are some things that I do to try to improve my sleep:

1. Drink a warm glass of milk before going to bed.
2. Take a warm shower or bath
3. When you can't sleep, distract yourself. From my experience, tv may seem great but isn't that good of a distraction as you're not utilizing your brain. Instead, read a book or do something that keeps your brain distracted.
4. Finally, a lot of us have been writing in journals. Sometimes, writing about my day helps me calm down a little more.

Hope this helps,

Chris

benoo5
07-01-04, 18:27
hi dawn,

first of all,welcome to this,great site..everyone is friendly,and caring of each other.

chris has made some good suggestions,for you to think about..there are quite a few people here,who have problems sleeping,so ime sure you will get some good advice.

a good relaxation tape,listen to it in bed,if you fall asleep,with it still playing,so what,it shows its working well...winde down,before bed,nice long bath,by candle light,perhaps a glass of wine...do some breathing exercises,great to relax you.

use the search facility,at the top right of the page,you will find some great ideas..best wishes..bryan.

diana
07-01-04, 18:58
Hiya Dawn,

Welcome aboard. Bryan and Chris have given some very good suggestions. You might try one or all of them, and like Bryan mentioned there are tons more ideas here. So go to the search engine and I am sure you will find something that will work for you. Good luck on finding a technique that works well for you, and do come back and post to let us know if you found anything that works and just to let us know how you are getting along. Take care, and good luck. I am sure you will find something that works for you.

Diana xxxx

DawnUK
07-01-04, 22:34
Thanks for the advice, it's much appreciated. I'll give some of the tips a try tonight and let you know how I get on. :)

Meg
07-01-04, 22:57
Hi Dawn,

The essential oils can be very powerful too lavender, clary sage, vetiver oil baths and a drop on your pillow.

Meg

Watch your thoughts, they become your words...
Watch your words, they become your actions... Watch your actions, they become your habits... Watch your habits, they become your character... Watch your character, it becomes your destiny...

stimpy
08-01-04, 01:19
Hi Dawn

I'm going through the insomnia thing at the moment too.
I dislike going to bed, mainly because I find the dark so smothering, and it's horrible lying awake in the dark, it feels so lonely.
I find listening to talk radio and leaving the hall light on quite helpful.

Love & best wishes

Liz xxx

bananarbabe
08-01-04, 04:10
Meg,

What are essential oils and how are they used?

Chris

twister
08-01-04, 13:44
I have some lavender that I just shake a few drops of on to my pillow at night - be careful not to overdo it though you'll give yourself a headache! You can buy it in health shops or Boots.

Boots also do some really nice pillow and linen sprays to help you sleep. I have a lavender and cedarwood and a nutmeg and peppermint spray. I can't sleep without them now. They also do a candle in the lavender smell. Also (I sound like an advert for boots!) they do a special 'Sleep' range of essentials oils and stuff but I havent tried those.

Emily

rick
08-01-04, 13:47
Hi all

Since my latest bout of these attacks, I've noticed that when I wake up in the mornings, I have a tremendous amount of anxiety. As we know, I do take something to help me sleep at night, but I've never had any morning problems at all. Past couple of weeks, though, morning anxiety is pretty strong, and I wonder, if it weren't for the sleeping aid, I'd be having Insomnia and night panic, too? And, how do we work on an anxiety problem that's there before we're fully awake?

Any ideas???

Love, Rick

Laurie28
08-01-04, 13:57
Have u tried a night without the aids to see how u are in the morning (it was possibly a short term thing)

I got a wee lavender pack from tesco which had a candle, some pot pouri for your room and a lavender sachet that you put under your pillow. Not too overpowering and very relaxing

I hope u get a decent sleep soon

love
lucky

Meg
08-01-04, 16:06
Hi BB,

Essential oils are the concentrated oils that comes from pressing various plants. Many of these have healing properties.

Some are good for infection ie tea tree
Others for respiratory conditions ie euculyptus
Others for calm and sleep - as above

Thay are used in a variety of ways -
a few drops in a bath
in water in an oil burner
diluted in a carrier oil for massage
and many more.

There are loads of books and websites on aromatherapy.

Most chemists/ supermarkets carry some sort of range.

Meg

Watch your thoughts, they become your words...
Watch your words, they become your actions... Watch your actions, they become your habits... Watch your habits, they become your character... Watch your character, it becomes your destiny...

DawnUK
08-01-04, 16:54
quote:Originally posted by twister

I have some lavender that I just shake a few drops of on to my pillow at night - be careful not to overdo it though you'll give yourself a headache! You can buy it in health shops or Boots.

Boots also do some really nice pillow and linen sprays to help you sleep. I have a lavender and cedarwood and a nutmeg and peppermint spray. I can't sleep without them now. They also do a candle in the lavender smell. Also (I sound like an advert for boots!) they do a special 'Sleep' range of essentials oils and stuff but I havent tried those.

Emily

Cheers for this Emily and everyone else for your tips. Did indeed sleep a bit better last night. [|)]

I've been trying a few lavender oil drops, but I'm starting to think it smells more like olbas oil than lavender now.... maybe i'm going mad or does anyone else agree? [?]

p.s. Emily, did you used to go to WCHS btw? You look v. familiar!

spiritscense
13-01-04, 07:50
Hi, I am new to the site and would like to offer my experience with essential oils. I was "certified" in medicinal aromatherapy 2 years ago in southern Provence France after studying with a well know German Doctor on the subject. I just posted tonight my pA problems. I use all of the oils Meg suggested and also find the Pines or conifers to be of great help. Think of being in a calm peaceful pine forrest....the smell is heartwarming. I take a nice hot shower and when I get out while my pores are still open, I put a pine oil such as white or black pine or a fir such as douglas , or a spruce like norway spruce on the bottom of my feet. Lavender on my chest. Patchouly is also calming and Vetiver as well. None of these oils are "hot" so they shouldnt hurt neet on the skin....if you are sensitive, use a carier oil such as grapeseed or sesame with the oils mixed in. I still have the PA, but I have just begun to take hold of myself and get rid of them. I am also a Reiki Master and foot reflexologist, I am great treating others but when it comes to me, it seems different. I am now trying to focus on me.

Blessings, Pam

diana
13-01-04, 18:47
Hiya Pam,

Great post. Thanks for the info.I am also located in the Us, if you don`t mind my asking, where are you located in the states? I am in Maryland. Funny how we can be so in control of other things in life, except for this disorder. I mean like yourself there are sooo many accomplished folks on here, that it would seem that people such as yourself would`nt have this problem. I guess there is no predjudice in anxiety/panic ey? It strikes people of every walk of life and every nationality. very intersting to say the least.

Take care dear,

Diana xxxx