PDA

View Full Version : Waking up in panic

Mistral
27-06-09, 08:52
Had a terrible night, woke up in the early hours feeling as though I was being smothered which immediately sent me into panic, laying here exhausted trying to get myself in order. I think the last few days of hot, humid weather has upset me as it has made me so aware of my breathing…….thank you so much for this site …….where else can you go for support at this time of day.

I think I sometimes dream of panicking and then wake up in one, does this happen to anyone else. So frustrating because I can’t use my coping strategies if it is caused by a dream.

Just want to cry

Rachel_123
27-06-09, 10:24
oh i know how you feel, the hot weather has really thrown me off :(

atleast your not alone

x

Wolfie
28-06-09, 03:25
Awwwhh, no matter who you are or what you're suffering from/having difficulties with - always remember that you're never alone. Heck, there are over 6 billion people on this planet, course you ain't alone, there is always someone else in a similar situation who can completely relate to you! :)

As for the hot weather, I always find that when I'm somewhere where it's really warm, my anxiety levels are higher than what's normal for me, think it's because the increase in temperature causes an increase in your heart beat, which will quite often lead to a panic attack in anxiety sufferers.

I have had a few occasions where I have woken up and found myself in the middle of a panic attack, or finding myself gasping for a deep breath, probably caused by a dream. Though I do find that I get these times more often when I am literally exhusted; maybe this is why you're having these moments due to you being really tired.

Don't worry though! It will soon pass and you will be able to sleep like a log :) Trust me on this one.

Take care,

Chrissy xx

Mistral
28-06-09, 10:16
Thank you so much for your kind words, I am sitting here in tears. I think they are the first I have ever had from someone who truely understands and sympathises.

I am (was) the high achieving/strong female, who sorts out everyone elses problems and no family or friends really understand. They try to be kind, but who can really believe that we can get such dreadful symptoms when there is nothing physically wrong with us.

I acually got up and fought my way through the day, which thank goodness I am able to do these days, but it never ceases to amaze me that however well we are coping with our symptoms, we have to have one set back and you suddenly forget all the good times you have had. It was only two days ago that I was saying to myself "I feel really well and happy". That will teach me wont it ! lol

Thank you again
Mistral XX

hayley3
28-06-09, 21:31
i totally know where your coming from my partner cant understand why i can wake up and have a panic attack when there is nothing physically wrong with me, he gets angry at me or the situation he thinks its silly, and that if i wanted to then i cud control it, but it has physically drained me, and i dont think i can cope anymore im just so frightened all the time that something bad is going to happen, nothing can distract me especially when i am hot, i just want to be myself again, i too said to myself yesterday 'i feel myself today, maybe i can even have an alcholic drink' then it hit me about 10 mins after, full blown attack, i even had to leave my cousins bbq, the 1st time in ages without the kids, and i just couldn't have 1 day of peace and happiness

peoplelikeus
30-06-09, 12:50
I've been bad since this weather started a few weeks ago. I am always worse in Summer. ALWAYS!

I rang an ambulance twice last week!!!! At 4 am! The attack lasted an hour each time.

I just woke up after being asleep for 2 hours both times. I HAD gone to bed late though both times too!!! Weird ?

Claire240380
12-08-09, 10:49
i totally know where your coming from my partner cant understand why i can wake up and have a panic attack when there is nothing physically wrong with me, he gets angry at me or the situation he thinks its silly, and that if i wanted to then i cud control it, but it has physically drained me, and i dont think i can cope anymore im just so frightened all the time that something bad is going to happen, nothing can distract me especially when i am hot, i just want to be myself again, i too said to myself yesterday 'i feel myself today, maybe i can even have an alcholic drink' then it hit me about 10 mins after, full blown attack, i even had to leave my cousins bbq, the 1st time in ages without the kids, and i just couldn't have 1 day of peace and happiness

I totally understand this. My partner is the same and thinks that I just need to "have a word with myself" and it'll all go away. If only it was that simple!
I've been waking up with a racing heartbeat and feeling panicky quite a few times lately and to be honest I'm now scared to fall to sleep. I now take Kalms in the day because the 1st one that I had a while back terrified me and I was anxious all day everyday for a good couple of months after. I thought I had gotten over this as I hadn't had any bad symptoms for nearly a year but it's back. I'm not sure if it's the stress of my job or if it's just getting worse.

Jamie_
12-08-09, 10:51
I've never woke up in a panic..yet

However, i normally get anxious about 30 mins after waking up and around 4 out of 7 days the anxiety feeling won't go away..

Sleep for me is the only release at times

Lilica-Demetier
12-08-09, 20:08
The hot weather really gets me, like I can't breathe and it's so stuffy :/ it feels like there's no escape! eek :/ All you can do is look forward to the cooler weather!

it's really hard to sleep when it's too warm..which probably doesn't help. Make sure you go to bed with a light cover.

tasia
12-08-09, 21:16
yes me too. i hate the really hot weather i often find myself waking up to a panic attack ive got family over in greece and my mum in law never used to have air conditioning at her house, omg everynite was a nightmare for me although now she has installed AC in her house i still panick at the thought of holidaying there in such heat.

Panickypants
12-08-09, 21:23
Aw i know how you feel it's awful isn't it.. I too have been waking up feeling terrible lastnight was a particular bad night for me i think i saw every hour in with little cat naps in between..I sometimes think i dream about feeling panicky then waking up feeling like it..It is terrible and unless these things happen to you it's hard to understand.My husband try's to reassure me but sometimes gets fed up of the way i am, he said lastnight i was pathetic cos i was having really bad palps and couldn't control my anxiety..It's very scary he hasn't felt the way i do so can't really say i'm pathetic..Huge hugs hope you feel better soon.. same for everyone out there who feels like this cos i know it really isn't nice x x

horizons
16-08-09, 21:23
I'm going through this right now, which is why I'm here :)

Only ever had one panic attack before and it was a BIG one (not that I have anything to compare it to). Lasted for just under an hour and, like most of us, thought I was going to die. As naive as this might sound, I didn't really expect to have anymore.

I've been waking up every half an hour or so in a sweaty panic tonight. The weather really doesn't help. Been laying in bed trying to breath but have ended up having to get up and try to sleep later. I'm fine sitting up right now, but not so much attempting to get a good nights sleep. Hate it!