PDA

View Full Version : acid reflux

smiths
28-06-09, 12:01
hi guys
ive had acid reflux on and off for about 6 months docs have given me meds and i ve just finished them and they want me to have tests now cos it isnt totally gone im so scared and the worrying isnt helping the acid problem

Funky Mum
28-06-09, 12:28
Hi there,
I hope this helps a bit and doesn't make you more worried but I had something similar and I had to have more tests. It was just a simple blood test to see if I had specific bug (which I didn't) and then I had to have a gastroscopy (tube down the throat).
The gastroscopy was absolutely fine! I was so worried before hand as I have a sensitive gag reflex but I was sedated and I didn't really know what was going on. It was very quick and painless and I certainly wouldn't be worried *at all* if I had to have another.
Turns out I have a hiatus hernia (probably due to my last pg) and I rarely get any probs from it now. I take Omeprazole 20 when I do feel I need it.
If you have any questions, please do ask.
Of course you may not have one or need a gastroscopy, but that was my experience.

smiths
28-06-09, 14:51
hello thanks for your reply its the thought of the tube down the throat that scares me most and what they mite find cos ive suffered with it for so long just think its got to be more than acid reflux .
i feel bloated alot of the time too
i think i would have to be sedated to have it

Funky Mum
28-06-09, 15:39
I had mine from about Xmas 06 (was in agony) and I had my gastroscopy Dec 08, so mine was a long time being diagnosed too.
When you are sedated you really have no feeling of what is going on, as I said I wouldn't be worried at all if I had to have another. I'd much prefer that then the dentist!
The thing is, is that right now you are worrying about it and in discomfort. Once they know what the problem is they can treat it, you will know and can hopefully stop your mind imaging all sorts, and feel much better.
Its the fear of the unknown I find that is much much worse than dealing with the facts.

smiths
28-06-09, 16:05
thats a long time to suffer with it :( yeah you are rite if they know what it is the can treat it properly
thanks so much for your replys x

Funky Mum
28-06-09, 17:05
Good luck, let us know how it goes :bighug1: