PDA

View Full Version : terrifying panic attack out of the blue

sedalia
29-06-09, 10:27
yesterday I had a full blown panic attack out of the blue. One minute I was fine, the next I felt slightly light headed which made me feel panicky, then I had a terrifying panic attack. I've had a couple of mild-ish ones before but nothing like this. I felt like I was dying, then all afternoon I felt dizzy and panicky. Today I'm on my own and I'm terrified it will happen again and I can't shake off this panicky feeling. I feel really scared. How do you cope when you're on your own and you think you're dying? Is it normal to feel so terrified? What if the feeling doesn't go away? Why should this happen out of the blue?

telbanham
29-06-09, 10:31
It will, I suffer from panic attacks everyday. Had a massive one in the cinema the other night.

YOU HAVE TO KEEP TELLING YOURSELF ITS FINE.

Just accept its panic and all teh symptoms are panic attack symptoms (WHICH THEY ARE) and relax and just ride through it.

Shut your eyes lay back and breath in then breath out for longer whilst visualising the word calm. Do this for about 5 to 10 minutes.

This is just panic attacks and they are normal, you will not die and they will go. The main thing is to accept them and move on.

Hope your ok

sedalia
29-06-09, 10:38
Thank you, I'm sorry to hear you have them everyday, that must be awful. I'm more scared this time because with my other attacks, they've passed and I've felt ok afterwards but this time I can't shake off this feeling of dread. I suppose I'm just scared of it happening again. Being dizzy really scares me.

telbanham
29-06-09, 12:05
The dizzyness was the scariest part for me especially when I didnt know it was panic and anxiety I thought I had a brain tumour. YOU WONT HAVE! It's a 1 in a million chance and you would be fitting and stuff so done worry about anything like that AT ALL!

The dizzyness is because you are really panicky. I had it for over a week because I was continuosly anxious about having something serious.

Once you understand you're fine and that you are making a deal over nothing you will start feeling okay.

Just go about your everyday life and keep busy and (I know its alot harder than it sounds) dont worry about it.

You'll be suprised how it will fade.

Blot
29-06-09, 16:06
I rty to breathe in through my nose & breathe out SLOWLY through pursed lips repeatedly when I feel panicky, it seems to regulate my breathing & reduces that band/tightness in my chest muscles.xxxxx

sedalia
29-06-09, 16:58
I'm finding that the heat isn't helping either. I've never enjoyed this hot weather and it makes me feel light headed at the best of times, without having a panic attack to worry about too.

Anxious_gal
29-06-09, 22:17
yeah it is normal to feel terrified, i find that our body's and minds tend to over react so the smallest thing or though can makes us feel terrified

jesziii
30-06-09, 16:55
yes im 16 and i suffer from panick attacks and anxiety but just keep thinking to yourself that u will be ok and it is not an undectected illness and that u will be ok because honestly you will though it may feel like the scarriest thing ever u are in perfect health.

sedalia
30-06-09, 20:15
Thank you everyone - I'm still feeling jittery, worried that it might happen again, which in turn makes me panicky. It's an awful vicious circle