PDA

View Full Version : hit my head-panic

neelam30
29-06-09, 13:58
as if my day wasnt bad enough, i just leant down to get something from the fridge and there was an open cupbord above me and when i got up i hit it so hard on the top of my head. am really stressed now, i didnt black out, but am worried that if i have internal damage i wont be able to distinguish it between anxieety and a real problem, ie dizzy, headache etc.
please help!am panickin

neelam30
29-06-09, 14:56
no-one is replying, should i call my doctor???!!

tasia
29-06-09, 15:06
HI neelam 30
Once i fell over and smashed the back of my head on concrete i was very dizzy and the next day went to the hospital they told me I had concussion. I would take a couple of neurofen for now but if you are still feeling dizzy maybe later in the afternoon or tomorrow than go to the docs...if anything you may have slightly concussed yourself in the past ive banged my head and its hurt for a bit but usually goes away...see how you feel later..takecare

ElizabethJane
29-06-09, 15:21
If you feel at all giddy or are unable to focus then you should see or speak to a doctor. Try NHS direct. You should see somone if you have lost consciousness or have been sick. That would be indicative of a head injury. I would go and lie down if you can for an hour and see how you feel then. Take care.

neelam30
29-06-09, 15:32
thanks for the advice guys. i spoke to my brother who is a doctor and he says it should be ok. and a nurse at work checked it out too. but i am feeling very sleepy now and am scared in case i fall asleep into a coma and never wake up..uhhghhhh, just when i was getting better

neelam30
29-06-09, 22:09
well, its getting closer to bedtime and i have een ok all evening, albeit a few random aches in the head. but i am dead scared of sleeping tonight...really really frightened, in case am concussed. ugh!!how can a stupid thing like a bump on the head become such a huge issue.

nomorepanic
29-06-09, 22:12
I am always hitting my head and never give it a 2nd thought. I think you would be really sick by now if it was anything to worry about.

The head is very hard and can take some pretty bad knocks

moore
29-06-09, 23:08
Theres a bunch of rules.
If you didnt pass out or vomit and your pupils are about the same size, then you probably dont have compression (the scary one)
If you feel spacey, dizzy and out of it, and have difficulty concentrating and even see random blobs in your vision, then you probably have concussion (the annoying one)
If you just have a headache and a lump on your head and you're fine in the morning then you probably just have a bruise :)

I usually try to stay awake after concussion for a couple of hours, and tell someone if possible, but really as everyone has said here, the risks are low especially if you didnt black out or vomit.

I've had concussion more times than I remember (pun unintended!). It's not scary trust me, it's just annoying.
But sometimes the harder the bang feels, the less the after effects. I had a really bad one recently where I hit the ceiling bit on the way down the stairs full whack while jumping. Somehow I didnt get any after effects, guess the neck took most of the shock!