PDA

View Full Version : Fear of getting sick?

Hears The Water
07-01-04, 21:22
Hi y'all. I was wondering if you know what the name for a fear of getting sick would be? In the past I have labeled myself a hypochondriac, but now I am wondring. My personal definition of a hypochondriac is one who obsesses about getting sick to the point of "finding" new diseases to suffer from. Almost like they like to be sick and go to the Dr. My problem is that I fear being sick. This time of the year terrifies me as it is flu season. I am terrified of the flu. I am also scared of Doctors and medications, so gettig the flu shot is out. I am so scared of getting sick that I obsess about getting a fever. If my face gets hot or red I freak out. I will work obsessivly to make it cool down and not be red. Like taking a walk in very cold weather, or using a cool wash cloth. I understand that those things alone probably are not bad, but I am realy in fear the whole time I am doing it. I realy get bad when my children or husband get sick. I have even stopped kissing my husband over this. When my phobias and panic attacks first started 10 years ago, I would take my temperature a lot. It got to the point of an obsession for me. I even ruined my wedding ring when mercury got on it. I have since stopped taking my temp, but I still obsess on getting ill. I realy do not like going where there are a bunch of new people because of this. We have been very reclusive (I homeschool my kids) and recently we have joined a group so the children can make new friends and so can I. They have been super supportive of me and I have realy grown by going there. But we have been sick three times since Sept. because we are around new germs. We have to go back in Feb. and I am not looking foreward to it. I don't want to get sick. Any thoughts on this? Sorry it is so wordy, but the whole thing is rather complex. Like most of my fears. Thanks for listening.
God Bless you and yours
Hears The Water

Buby
07-01-04, 22:37
hi hears the water.

i am terrified of people vomiting, a little about getting colds just incase people are going to vomit though just because they have i high tempreture. i do not know the name for this fear but i would also like to know.
Im on vitamins tablets that contain vitamin A, C, D, E, B2, B5, B6, B12, CALCIUM, ZINC. the whole lot. im on them for 3 months 1 a day. ive only started them last night. and i already feel loads better. its my first night without panicing for 4 days. they're called ' Bassetts, soft and chewy, multivitamins with minerals & prebiotic nutrients'. ( just in case you want them , you know )
and about the hotness of your face, i so panic about that too. i have my fears for 10 years and im only 14. im scared of going to school, the heat, me and others vomiting, crowds violence and going to bed. vomiting and going to bed are my scariest fears. its hard to live my life.
i hope the vitamins, if you decide to have them will help, im not sure if you can get them in the US of A but you might be able to. they're in a pink/red pack over here but i dont know what they'll be over there.
if you find out the name of this phobia, please let us know. and i do know how you feel.
hugs ratchit aka rachel.xxx

Meg
07-01-04, 23:08
HTW ,

So what set this off first of all ?? Something happen to someone / something you saw/ read / heard about and dwelled on ad nauseaum ??

Meg

Watch your thoughts, they become your words...
Watch your words, they become your actions... Watch your actions, they become your habits... Watch your habits, they become your character... Watch your character, it becomes your destiny...

stimpy
08-01-04, 02:07
Hi HTW

Jeremy Vine (on UK BBC Radio 2) Did a phone in on the subject of hypochondria and the Fear of Being or Becoming Ill. It is Defined as "a persistent, and irrational fear of becoming ill" and is fairly common in people who are anxious, and it may be related to stressful experiences with illness and death in childhood or adulthood.

Some people fear one specific illness while others fear many different illnesses.
Illness fears can be triggered by bothersome physical symptoms such as headaches.
Fears can be made worse by stories about illness in the media or from friends and family.
Because of their illness fears, some people go to the doctor frequently and have lots of medical tests. Others avoid going to the doctor because of their illness fears.

Treating the problem. The radio program suggested Cognitive-behavioural treatment may be helpful in treating the problem.

Hears The Water
08-01-04, 02:56
well, Stimpy, that sounds like me. I guess that hypochondria is the correct term!

Meg, I do not know for sure what started this. I can remember when I was a little kid like 8 years old being so scared of tornadoes and storms that when I would go to school and there was a storm or a tornado drill that I would make myself literly sick. Throwing up, (sorry dear Ratcht) nausea and a fever. I was in a truck that was tossed around on the road by a small tornado or wind gusts. So I was allways a freaful child. Very very abusive and dysfunctional past. I have been very blessed that I have been relativley healthy. I do not remember any one illness that was bad or anything, and the only time I have been hospitalized was when I gave birth to two of my children. Any thoughts??? I have decided to try CBT, but I cannot afford going to a councelor or a therapist. (not whining to get sympathy, just stating a fact) Do y'all think it is possible to find a book on CBT and with a willing partner or family member do it on my own? I do have a friend looking into a benevolance fund for me, but even then It will be several months until I have a car running (another long story, my van died) and can get to an appointment. I did read a book called "The sky is falling" it was about facing my fears I am not sure if it is CBT. Any and all thoughts are appreceated. I realy do want to start working on this.
God Bless you and yours
Debbie

stimpy
09-01-04, 00:30
In England we can ask for CBT on the National Health Service, admittedly there is quite a long waiting list. But you get it in the end, even if you 65 by the time it arrives !

Have you tried :

Treating Health Anxiety : A Cognitive-Behavioral Approach
by Steven Taylor & Gordon J. G. Asmundson

It does sound pretty interesting, not sure it it actually teaches the CBT you need to get well thou', but it might be worth looking at.

Love and Light

Liz xx

HB
03-04-04, 12:47
i have just started CBT and actually it doesnt take that long to get to front of the waiting list... you have a review session where you meet with a counsellor who assesses whether you actually do need this treatment.... if you are in a bad way then they rush you to the front... i only waited a matter of 3 weeks before my first appointment. By the way, the fear of vomitting is called "emetaphobia". I am a sufferer and it is not getting any better!!
Take care everyone... i know how scary this can be (having been a sufferer for 15 years) x

H

sarah
03-04-04, 13:29
Hiya Helen

I think it must depend where you live in the country as to how long the waiting list is. I to was lucky and only had to wait 2 weeks for my first session.

love Sarah
xx

te34resa
24-04-04, 16:10
Hi. I can really relate to this as I think like this too. I'm not especially scared of any big illnesses but all the little ones that seem to plague my life. I wonder if part of it is, as I've worked out for me, worrying about letting people down and being seen as weak? I'm not nearly so bad if I'm just at home with no commitments but I care desperately what people think of me and dread having to phone sick for work or outings etc. I always think people think I'm making it up, or I worry about turning up and not doing a good job, being a good companion, because of feeling ill. I wonder if you feel the same? Just a thought...

stimpy
24-04-04, 22:52
All part of the condition.

I think as sufferers we feel every ache, pain, twinge and niggle.
Not because there is anything wrong, but because our brain throws up a red light when something is not as it should it be.
Because of this, you wonder what people think about you. "Oh she's not coming in again because she's got backache or headache" "I'm sure she's just doing it because she doesn't want to come in"

I think everyone worries whether or not we are doing a good job, just because they are not feeling 100%.

Love, light and Best wishes
Liz xxx
With hard work and determination and all the things you know.
The world is there for you to take. There's nowhere you can't go.

[:p]Scatty Eccentric & 'Poet Laureate to panic and anxiety'

Gloominati
26-04-04, 19:09
I frequently panic over my health. I was diagnosed with chronic fatigue syndrome about 10 years ago and find myself feeling weak, tired etc.

If i get stressed and start to panic, this will immediately make me feel worse health wise because I am not as healthy as the 'average' person. Then I start to worry that I'm worrying that I'm going to make myself ill and the vicious circle starts all over again.

I find myself very depressed and I wish i could control my life more. I'm 19 years old now and feel like ive got the weight of the world on my shoulders.

So to those who panic about being ill, i understand, im frequently there. I'm trying hypnotherapy to help me and even acupuncture. I don't want to see my GP as he'll probably prescribe some tranqulisers or something. I've already been on anti-depressants for over 5 years and although hopelessly addicted, find them not much help.

HB
29-04-04, 10:16
heya, sorry i didnt get back earlier, a lot of people with emetaphobia (like me) and other phobias do have what are called "avoidance techniques" which i have help in exploring in CBT sessions. for example, i carry a bottle of water around with me and i stay away from crowds, spicy foods, can you think of any that you do?
If you can then try doing so DIY CBT, take one of your avoidance methods and eliminate it or attempt to. Start with the easiest one and work up, its not as hard as you think!!
Good luck, H x

H

Caitlyn89
29-05-04, 01:49
Fear of Vomiting is called Emetophobia..i have it

Leahj06
08-10-11, 21:38
Hi. I too relate. The thought that I might be getting sick terrifies me. I can't stand being weak, tired, too hot, too cold, and generally unwell. I try to avoid sick people by holding my breath and getting as far away from them as I can and washing my hands. When I get sick it never stays as just a cold - I always end up on antibiotics or even in hospital. This has magnified my fear by a million. I just don't seem to be able to cope like other people can. It is incredibly depressing. I get called a hypochondriac and maybe I am, but it stems from a real fear.

Im so scared at the minute because everyone seems to be getting sick which means I definitely will. When I was hospitalised with pneumonia it started with me just feeling tired, so I hate that feeling too. I'm only 24 but I feel like my body is 64. Not good!! Don't know what to do...

sarahlou1983
13-10-11, 19:20
ive always had the fear of vomiting in public.having people stare at me.....thats what stops me from eating sometimes.....

Bronzegoddess217
07-10-15, 01:40
Hi. I'm 21yrs old and I've had this problem for years...I'm having a hard time lately because its flu season again so I'm constantly washing my hands and avoiding people as much as possible I have a huge fear of vomiting or having an upset stomach in public...and it's rouining my life including work lately at work I'm so naucious I can't speak I'm constantly sipping Gatorade and nothing is working I'm dizzy lightheaded and naucios all day everyday and idk what to do anymore and I'm afraid of losing my job...what's some ways everyone else's is dealing with this? And what about anxiety meds has anyone tried that yet?

MissyMischief
07-10-15, 23:26
Hi. I'm 21yrs old and I've had this problem for years...I'm having a hard time lately because its flu season again so I'm constantly washing my hands and avoiding people as much as possible I have a huge fear of vomiting or having an upset stomach in public...and it's rouining my life including work lately at work I'm so naucious I can't speak I'm constantly sipping Gatorade and nothing is working I'm dizzy lightheaded and naucios all day everyday and idk what to do anymore and I'm afraid of losing my job...what's some ways everyone else's is dealing with this? And what about anxiety meds has anyone tried that yet?

I'm so sorry you feel so awful. I'm kind of in the same boat as you and I know how awful it feels. I've had a fear of vomiting on and off my whole life. I thought it had gone away, but then it came back about a year ago. It got so bad that it was interfering with my work. My biggest fear would be that I would vomit at work in front of everyone. I was hardly eating anything and was chewing gum like crazy. I overanalyzed every sensation in my stomach and throat. I ended up leaving my job almost 4 months ago and got on Sertraline. The medication isn't really helping so much. I need to talk to my dr about switching meds or increasing the dose. Anyway, I'm basically hoping the medication works out for me, but I'm also seeking out CBT therapy to overcome my negative thought patterns. I know exposure therapy works great for phobias and I would like to try that too.

Anyway, I know EXACTLY how you feel. I'm so sorry for both of us dealing with this. I fought it for almost a good year before I finally gave in and starting seeking help for my anxiety. Don't wait as long as I did. I hope you get the help you need.

Take care!