PDA

View Full Version : medicine phobia

den68
29-06-09, 19:53
hi
has any one got a medication phobia. i suffer from anxiety and panic attacks and have this terrible fear of tablets. I mean i freak have panic attack and think that i will die just at the thought of taking them. Hence i have had 2 different types of antidepressants but just cant bring myself to take them but am coping without them. The trouble is i have to have this 24 blood pressure monitor on wednesday and im so freaked that they may have to give me tabs its putting my bp up. Oh i also iam scared to die my hair incase i have a reaction to it but have managed to do it 2 months ago but havnt had the guts to do it again yet. I have taught myself to take paracetomal now but can only take 1 never 2
can anyone help with this please i feel stupid:blush:
den68

nomorepanic
29-06-09, 19:57
Just to reassure you they do not give you any tablets when you have a 24 blood pressure monitor

den68
29-06-09, 19:59
Thanks
ill try to keep calm then lol :yesyes:

melvin
29-06-09, 20:31
hi im exactley the same as you i cant take any tabs with out going into a panick

Anxious_gal
29-06-09, 22:24
I'm ok with painkillers, but have developed a phobia of taking antidepressants after a bad reaction to them,
I also don't like antibiotics but after taking the first tablet i'm ok.
i've also developed a phobia of hair dye! I keep thinking i'll have an allergic reaction,
is there anything that would help?
like having someone spend the night with you when you take the tablet?
or would staying the night in the hospital after taking the tablet help?
cause if you dont react to the first tablet you may feel better about taking the next one

nomorepanic
29-06-09, 23:06
I was cured of my phobia when I was admitted to hospital and they gave me all sorts.

I used to read the leaflets and freak etc etc and then when it came down to it and I HAD to have the drugs I was ok.

You can overcome it. I was the world's worst for taking drugs and now I just take them!

Mistral
30-06-09, 08:40
Me too and I had to have chemotherapy a few year ago, it was a nightmare those poor nurses were saints getting me through it, they almost had to chain me to the chair..... I am sure they have suffered from panic and anxiety after treating me......If your on this site, I'm sorry ladies. lol.

My Doc. knows my feelings and now when I take a new med, however innocent, I go and sit quietly in the waiting room and they come out and check me every now and again. You could even just sit in your car outside the hospital (have done that also) if you don't want to bother your Doc, isn't it awful !

I have a 10 minute rule now with tablets that I have taken before, will only panic for that length of time... then accept that I will be ok.

june
30-06-09, 14:12
:hugs: Hi I am also terrified of meds BUT i have low kidney functionand NEED meds for that also I suffer from vertigo and (gladly) take meds for that:ohmy:
Now!!
when the doc suggests meds for anxiety or panic..... i freak - I am absolutely terrified - they rarely even suggest them now.
if i am suffering anx or panic i go and see them any one of 3 docs will see me the same day if i am feeling really bad.
i suppose i can see the reason for taking meds when necessary BUT panic and anxiety have NO logical explanation.
june
:hugs:

Vanilla Sky
30-06-09, 14:36
I have this fear also , i'm getting over it now. I took tablets when someone was with me usually my partner because i feel safe with him. If you were ok with hairdye last time , then you will be ok again, if your not sure put a little bit on your arm if you dont get a reaction then you 'll be fine. The same with tablets take half or a little bit of it if you dont get anything it'll be ok to take the other half, and if you don't get a reaction then its safe to take it again. This is vary common with anxiety sufferers , you are not alone x

den68
30-06-09, 19:12
Thanks to everyone who replied. At least i know im not the only one with the irrational fears. Ill try everything you said

L1SA
05-07-09, 15:34
Hi

I have fibromyalgia & anxiety and i desperatly need medication to help the chronic pain & stiffness and to calm the nervous system down BUT i cant take the tablets

I am sensitive anyway to drugs and the littlest of dosages sets me off.

Now the circle has began, as soon as i take a tablet my anxiety hightens and causes panic as im sitting waiting to see what happens PLUS i cannot see through the side-effects before it gets better as the anxiety is too bad for me to control

I have a fear of not being in control so i feel the tablets take this from me

I had cbt which helped everything apart from this phobia :scared15: so any advice would be welcomed ty xx

wiskersonkittens
05-07-09, 19:47
Boy! I sure do!! I used to not, but over a year ago I was prescribed some pseudophederine for a sinus infection and my heart went bonkers on it! Ever since then, I have been afraid to take ANYTHING. This is part of the reason I don't even take anti-depressants. I am afraid. Now I just had to take some antibiotics and I am watching the clock like a hawk wondering how long before I am in the clear for something really drastic to happen - it has been 30 minutes now. I am feeling a little panicky, but otherwise, I guess ok. I hate feeling like this. It really causes problems between myself and my doc -- only he doesn't know normally I don't take the meds he prescribes (I will take antibiotics -- but that is pushing me); and between hubby and me who gets upset and wonders why I waste my time at the doc's. I tell him I am not there for meds, I am there for reassurance. SO, I perfectly understand what you all are going through. I don't know how to get over this. It is quite debilitating. Hugs, Wiskers

purple to black
08-07-09, 20:27
I was so pleased to stumble across this thread. I to am totally terrified of taking tablets - i was prescribed Citalopram last September and to date still haven't taken them. I had CBT for 3 months and did really well and was able to function almost normally other than being on my own and taking pills, i'm still unable to do both :(
I've had a bit of a relapse recently and know i need to take the pills, i think now i'm more scared that i will induce panic/anxiety by taking them and i really dont want to do that - on the other hand, how much longer can i carry on in this circle of feeling good and then feeling horrible???
I'm a strong person and by no means stupid, learning to think logically at times of heightened anxiety is so hard to do, i think thats another reason i don't want to take them..i know loads of people who have been prescribed Citalopram and had no side effects at all, so why am i worrying so much, oh, because i'll be the person with ALL the side effects lol, i'm not that special surely!!!
So, i should just do it, it can't be any worse than the hell i'm living in just now *shrugs*

maybeoneday
09-07-09, 12:21
hi everyone
i thought i was the only one with this problem, i had a bad time years ago with differeant antidepressants now im scared to take any sort of meds,. i take paracetamol when im in so much pain i cant cope, the doctors have just given me meds to take for my irritable bowels but im scared to take them cos i think they may make me dizzy or something, im also scared to dye my hair incase im allergic i am going to do tomorrow as my hubby is home then for the weekend incase anything happens, i know it sounds mad and stupid to others but i just cant help it.

june
09-07-09, 13:13
:hugs: Reading throught these posts - most of them i could have written - like you i have had really bad reactions from some of the meds given for anx and / or panic etc.
I was wondering :blush: when peple have their Flu jab (not me:ohmy: ) they have to stay in the docs waiting room to see if there is any bad reaction.
What is the time scale for a reaction to the meds they are trying to give us??
((I am not sure it would help me)) - but if they gave a person a small dose and said wait 1/2 hour - if there is no reaction you can take them without a problem. If there is a reaction the doc is there to calm you thro it. the doc will also see first hand the fear that these meds generate and the effect should there be one. He/ she would understand us better then.
WE ARE NOT STUPID we know the horror, and fear is absolutely terrifying - it is almost instant when the doc says those words JUST TAKE THESE:ohmy: :ohmy:
June

den68
09-07-09, 13:54
I never realised there was so many people with the same phobia as me, as when you try to tell doc they just look at you and say i could give it you in liquid form and then you have to explain its not that im just terrified of being allergic to them. Last time i managed to take some tabs for b.p i ended up in hospital for 24 hours thought it was my ticker but it wasnt so i thought it was just panic then my doc says to me perhaps you were allergic to the tabs we will take you off them. Thats it now the fear is worse than ever and now i am that scared that ill have to take some tabs again and the same thing will happen. But thanks for all your replies at least i know im not the only one
denise

djvtech
14-07-09, 10:20
I'm afraid of anything mind altering. Had a bad experience with cannabis a year ago and ever since, I've been afraid of any kind of drug/herb that can make you feel different mentally or physically. I think I'll try it again eventually though so I can get over this fear. But I've said that for months now, still havent attempted it. :unsure: Just the thought of being high makes me nervous. I think the only way to get over it is to just do it and sit through the panic until it subsides.