PDA

View Full Version : Intro/Symptom experiences

monkeybutler
30-06-09, 00:43
New here, so I'm just going to say a bit about my situation, and run down some of the anxiety symptoms I've had to put up with over the last couple months, and see how many people can relate.
I'm 20, I think I've always been a fairly anxious person, but since university the symptoms have been showing up and I think a lot of them are due mostly to stress from school and relationships as well as recreational cannabis use, which I've since stopped.
Symptoms in rough chronological order:

- tingly feelings on my tongue whenever I wasn't in a good mood, always went away when I distracted myself with games or whatnot

- chest pain/discomfort
- used to get these even when I was younger, and put them down to asthma/improper breathing technique/etc.
- started up again during the holidays, as sharp twinges, pulls, or tightness on usually the left side (which probably set off more worrying and dwelling on it)
- seemed to notice a rapid hearbeat even while resting, or especially after yawning or stretching
- palpitations (which I have had years before, possibly also due to anxiety) that typically show up when I'm feeling anxious and even sometimes when not
- ECG and Echocardiogram came back normal and healthy, though I do have high blood pressure (typically around 145/95) that I need to deal with (tips?)

- dizziness, weakness in my limbs, fear (all occurring together during a couple of incidences I suspect were panic attacks)
- sometimes I would get sudden bouts of dizziness and disorientation, at least twice, both times while eating with a friend. Seemed like I was going to pass out because I couldn't focus my eyes on any one particular thing for about 2 seconds (that experience, needless to say, caused a bit of fear and nausea)

- sleep disturbances
- my heart would race or I would get palpitations when on the brink of sleep, and I would jolt awake several times (recently accompanied by discomfort in the pit of my stomach)
- during naps I've noticed an increase in the number of times I 'start' while in half-asleep mode (and so has my girlfriend)
- hypnagogic noises (heard my name yelled once, heard a loud bang once or twice, etc.)
- racing thoughts before falling asleep (I've heard this one is common, and sometimes of a frightening or disturbing nature, leading me to fear I'm losing it)

- general fogginess and fatigue (as though hungover), accompanied by pressure in my head and difficulty concentrating, like my brain didn't have enough energy to react well to my surroundings or think too much.

- Derealization
- Usually occurred when I was alone, left to my thoughts, and have a feeling as though I'm the only one left on earth, and its hard to definitively know that what I'm living isn't a dream

- general fear/anxiety that seems to lie in the back of my mind, as though whenever I think of something enjoyable, I am reminded of it, as though something terrible may be about to happen or that I shouldn't be able to enjoy my life because of the fear that I have waiting for me

So pretty comprehensive, I hope I'm able to relate to some people on here with regards to these.
Last notes:
I've found that the day after drinking heavily the symptoms especially dizziness, fogginess and fatigue are more prevalent, and tend to lead to worrying about the other symptoms, and trouble sleeping the next night.
I'm glad I found this site, it's extremely reassuring and I never thought anxiety could produce such intense physical and mental symptoms
:doh: (I just like that emoticon)
Monkeybutler

Louise21
30-06-09, 09:17
Hi &:welcome:

I'm sure you will find the help and suport you may need on this site.
Love,
Louise