PDA

View Full Version : New to site.....Palpatation freinds!!!!!

Rachel Hughes
08-09-05, 23:44
Well I cant believe this site... what a relief I am normal!!! For years I suffered missed beats and thuds and panick attacks and then they went as if I had never had them,ignored them and they went... since then I have had bouts of awareness of the heart.. but been fine!! Then 3 weeks ago..lots of stress (mum in hospital, debts,family prob's, may loose job) and felt like I couldnt breathe (thought it was chest infection) then the heart started!!! sitting at my desk at work and away it went 120+ so after going outside and breathin it calmed down!!! So then I get obsessed with my pulse which is normally 60-78 resting but scared if it goes over 72!! Then went onto fealing every thing my hert is doing bum bum bumbum....foul...now when I eat it goes fast again like it did yrs ago! I have had a few good days and when i am ditracted it isnt as bad.... deep down i know i am ok but it is so frighteing when it feels like your heart is gonna fly out your chest wall!!!!!LOL...[V]... want to get back to normal....... 2 years ago Doc' listened to haert said it was a lovely heart!!!...just wish it would go away..... it is really getting me down!.... why do these things get so obsessive... constant feelin pulse, ounting, hand on chest! ..... I am sure its anxiety. got to be to come back in a way like this aftr being stressed!

stardust
08-09-05, 23:49
Cos you are very aware of body feelings........think you should speak to your doctor again

"The truth is out there" Frank Gallagher, Shameless

Rachel Hughes
08-09-05, 23:52
petrified of doctors...... hate goin.....scared he will say you have heart prob .even though i dont think i have!!! sounds like loads of folk on here!!!

jill
09-09-05, 00:07
Hi Rachal

WELCOME TO THE SITE,

I can understand how you feel ( what a relief I am normal ) I was the same when I joind this site a year ago.
It is sad that people suffer this way, but it helps to know you are NOT alone.
I think what OCD girl is trying to say is, sometimes we need to be checked over by a GP. ( peace of mind goes along way } it helps us move forward.

Please take time to read the the information pages on the site they are very helpful and will help you understand a little more.
There are lots of nice people here who will help and suppot you.

TAKE CARE

LOVE JILLXXX

When you fear something
learn as much ablut it as you can
Knowledge conquers fear.

Rachel Hughes
09-09-05, 00:26
Thank you for your post... were you the same as me... are you better now ? The thing with me is I have been here before and it went I am here again now and am still scared!!! Its stupid!

jill
09-09-05, 00:46
Hi Rachel

Its not stupid please don't say that.
I came to ths site suffering PA's, anxiaty. I am now panic free and high anxity free. As it says on this site that you have to pick away at your anxiaty to find where it comes from. It seems that I have been suffering anxaity symptoms all my life. { thats another story ) I still get a few bits but keeping the panic and high anxiaty under control. I owe my recover to this site and all the special people on here [^]
At the moment I am reading a book called, overcoming anxiaty, a self help book using CBT by Hellen Kennerley and finding it very helpfull.
I do not reply much to post because a lack confidance, but as they say on here YOU MUST FACE YOUR FEARS, so I try.
Aways remember Rachel, you CAn learn how to feel better.

TAKE CARE

LOVE JILLXXX

cam
09-09-05, 00:58
hey rachael im new to the site to is helpin me alot. know what u mean deep down you know ur ok but theres just that nigglin feelin what if... thought i was. it helps just talkin about it to people who have gone through the same. hope the site help. take care

x cameron

dream
09-09-05, 08:01
HI im new here to and its a great place so glad i found it ,i no how you feel i often have missed heart beats or fast heart beats sometimes i think it feels like my heart beat is right in my throat silly i know[:I] it is still very scary but i try to keep busy and it soon stops i know thats not much help [Sigh...] but at least you know your not alone but i think you will find lots of help here take care denise

d.white

Rachel Hughes
09-09-05, 08:05
gosh you lot are lovely people... full of empathy... i do need to ignore it when i get them...hard to do. does anyone else get then when they eat!!! I have had this on and off for yrs

pinkscrumpy
09-09-05, 08:09
Hi Rachel

Welcome to the site

I thought that I was the only one with the heart issues, until I found this site.

It is comforting for me to know that you also get a fast heart beat when eating LOL I thought I was alone on that one. [^]

Let me know if I can be of any hope, I had it for 6 years and am still struggling to ignore them

love

MANDIE XX

Will I ever escape this?
Will I ever be free?
Wake me up from this nightmare.
Please just give me the key!

Piglet
09-09-05, 08:41
Hi Rachel,

Welcome to the site - I'm sure you'll find lots to reassure you here.

Love Piglet :)

"Supposing a tree fell down, Pooh, when we were underneath it?" said Piglet.
"Supposing it didn't," said Pooh after careful thought.

pips
09-09-05, 12:19
Hi Rachel,

A BIG warm welcome to the site. I do hope it helps you.

Take care,

Love PIP'S X X

Meg
09-09-05, 14:15
Rachel,

You are not alone on this one.

Palpitations (http://www.nomorepanic.co.uk/NMPcms.php?nmppage=palpitations)
palpatations (http://www.nomorepanic.co.uk/showthread.php?t=2284)
Missed heartbeats! (http://www.nomorepanic.co.uk/showthread.php?t=3186)
sorry for being silly....but.... (http://www.nomorepanic.co.uk/showthread.php?t=3320)
Palpitations? Reassurance needed and some answers! (http://www.nomorepanic.co.uk/showthread.php?t=3371)
Missed heartbeat question again (http://www.nomorepanic.co.uk/showthread.php?t=3550)
IS THERE ANYMORE I CAN DO???? (http://www.nomorepanic.co.uk/showthread.php?t=3784)
ectopic heart beats (http://www.nomorepanic.co.uk/showthread.php?t=4664)
Doc made ectopic fear worse (http://www.nomorepanic.co.uk/showthread.php?t=4849)
missed heartbeats, still worried (http://www.nomorepanic.co.uk/showthread.php?t=5061)
Skipped Beats (http://www.nomorepanic.co.uk/showthread.php?t=5078)

Meg
www.anxietymanagementltd.com

Your anxiety is the human representation of the pictures that you paint using your many vivid colours of revolving and reoccurring thoughts.
How big is your gallery ?

Rachel Hughes
10-09-05, 09:39
Thanks again....... PINK SCRUMPY... it must be stress when u get them when we eat... cos i havent had it for a while .. i could eat anything then 4 weeks aga..wham... ater every meal bumbum fast... then you panic cos ya think ya chest is gonna pop... then you are alright. I read something once about the vegas nerve being more sensitive when you are stress... this controls the heart rate (or has somot to do with it) If i am right this runs fron near stomach to heart.. wonder if this is stimulated with food because it's sensitivity is hightened throught he anxiety!!!!!.Just a thought!! LOL

Meg
10-09-05, 09:44
Rachel ,

You're right about the vagus nerve ..all sorts of things stimulate it and eating can be one of them.

Also with eating, it also releases a huge enzyme secretion chain with which insulin and adrenalin are linked which increases the heart rate anyway

Meg
www.anxietymanagementltd.com

Your anxiety is the human representation of the pictures that you paint using your many vivid colours of revolving and reoccurring thoughts.
How big is your gallery ?

Rachel Hughes
11-09-05, 11:22
so if what you say is true its the arenalin on top of the stress adrenalin making you more aware!!!.......I was great yesterday but got up this morning and I can feel my little heart working away in my chest!!!! OH Its so frustrating. wish it would go away like it did before!

pinkscrumpy
11-09-05, 21:11
Hi Rachel

I've read about the vegas nerve to. Like you I can have a few weks free then eat a meal and bam their it goes again.

Wish mine would go to,

love

MANDIE XX

Will I ever escape this?
Will I ever be free?
Wake me up from this nightmare.
Please just give me the key!

lin
12-09-05, 13:25
Hi Rachel

I suffer with ectopic heartbeats when your heart misses a beat that can be very frightening, lately though they have calmed down. When i first had my anxiety/panic attacks i had flutters that to felt like my heart was going to fly out my mouth it is horrid. I used to check my pulse don't do it much now. It seems to be all down to anxiety which we all just have to cope with the best way we can i try not to get to stressed if i can which is hard what with 3 kids its a struggle to keep calm.....lol. Anyway i'm sure you will be fine.

take care

linda xx

Dickyboy199
16-09-05, 21:20
Hi Rachel,
Welcome to the site
I'm new to the site too and have only written one post to introduce myself very briefly. I suffer from general anxiety, claustrophobia and I'm a bit of a hypochondriac! I also suffer from very real ectopic beats!
Without going into a long boring life story about the history of mine they started while I was recovering after a motorcycle accident when I was 19, I'm now 41!

They started as an occasional skipped beat which eventually increased to simply hundreds and hundreds in a day. I went to casualty and they prescibed beta blockers and said it was delayed shock from the accident. Since then I've had every test you can imagine done on my heart and they always come back as completely normal! They will eventually settle down for a year or so, (still there but managable, a few a week) and then out of the blue I will get thousands of the damn things!

For the last three years I've been taking BB's daily and I have experienced a new rythmn and also rapid heartbeats also! I've put this down to anxiety and maybe long term BB use?? Dunno, but it has got so bad at times that I'm too frightened to eat because my heart races after or even go anywhere where I might end up passing out or something! Having these and having anxiety is a nightmare.

I can sympathise entirely as to how you feel. I sometimes feel that 'they' are ruling my life and I get so depressed. I'm starting to cope just about and they have settled down for a while but I don't know when they will return with a vengeance! I've got a lovely wife and four children but what with all my other hangups life can be pretty rough at times.

But I just wanted you to know that I've proved that most of it is in the mind and I've had them for so long now and I havent' keeled over yet! If you can try to take your mind off them just for a bit, do some relaxation stuff, try to exercise even though I haven't for years now - too fightened too, that sets them off too! But I know that exercise improves them in the long term. Cut out all the stimulants but you prob no that already. But mainly remember there are simply millions of people who suffer from these and milions more who's heart does this but they don't actually feel them (lucky things!) Sorry for the long post but I sincerely hope you get some relief and they go away.

Bless you and take care

There's tons more I can write about the subject but your probably nearly asleep by now! But if you need to know anything more or just need a good listener you can always e-mail me

Cinders4
20-09-05, 14:39
Hi Rachel, it will settle down again, you sound so much like me... Its scary and frustrating isnt it. Glad you are getting some support from the site
Jo
x

jodie
24-04-06, 22:00
hi rachel

i think we could be twins lol

i am to like all the other kind people that have posted i have had a lot of stress my doughter died 6yrs ago and thats when i started with eptopic heart beats they are so nasty arnt they i can get them a few a day or ever couple of mins i have had ecg done and that was fine but still i worry .
i think the more you think about them the more they happen i realy do .i also feel my puls all the time and allways have my hand near my chest and skip most meals in fear my heart will go crazy i am sure you will be fine and try not to think of those eptopics and they may settle down mabe its something we will all have to live with and get used to just another bit of anxiety.
hope you start to feel better and get the support you need on this site,
jodie xx

jojo
26-04-06, 09:13
hi rachel,
you are not alone,i used to be like that.It got so bad for me i would sit on the toliet,with a stopwatch in my hand and check my pulse to see if my heart was working ok.Sounds crazy i know,but i dont get them as much anymore.I suffer from heartburn as well,and get it really bad sometimes and i thought that was my heart.I have a heart murmur anyway,but after being cleared by the heart surgen that i was ok,apart from the murmur which lets me get on with life.
I found that a diet of fresh fruit and veg,and drinking plenty of water,really really helps with the missed beats.Im alot more active as well which makes you feel really good.but the biggest help for me was stopping smoking.and i very rarely drink booze.So i feel alot healther,and the panic attacks have gone from everyday,to about once a month or longer.there is hope for everyone whos goes through this.

take care jojo:D

j.benson

LEESA
14-09-07, 11:48
I understand about the heartbeat in the throat I get exactly the same symptons but does yours go on every single day ,every 10 mins missedbeats? Please reply as Im very anxious! Thank you LEESA

Janvi
24-01-08, 13:11
Hi Rachel

I think you are not alone. Even I had the same in the past. It is a vicious cycle.You should come out of this. You should FIGHT.

PLSE NOTE THAT THE FEAR IS IRRATIONAL.IT LIKES TO SEE YOU DEFEATED. SO FIGHT.

Regards

Janvi

Rachey poos
25-01-08, 01:15
Hi just noticed this very old post has come up from ages ago... I am in as Rachey poos now.... reading that made me think will it ever go away!..... I suppose its the short straw we drew eh! feeling crappy today, catch up wiv me latest on me blog ...click below!:shrug: Thanks for your message honey... ever need to talk abut it just pm me if you want!

olisdad
25-01-08, 14:10
Hi

I know exactly how you feel. The feelings and thoughts you get sound identical to the issues I had (and still get from time to time). It was a fear of missed beats that kept my panic and anxiety going for such a long time.

3 things seems to work quite well for me;

1. Using CBT techniques I slowly began to break the connection between noticing a bodily symptom (i.e. missed heart beat) and the immediate negative thought that followed it. Sometimes the symptom and thought were almost instanteneous which caused anxiety and often panic attacks. I takes time to do this and what you have to start off with is trying to catch the thought that jumps up as soon as the sympton occurs. The next step is then challenging that thought using all the evidence you have acculmulated from docs / reading etc. You have to do this over and over again and eventually the positive beliefs start to stick. It does take a while though so you must be patient with yourself.

2. Be willing to test out your negative beliefs. This takes some courage which I know you have!! If for example your belief is that your heart going over 72 Bpms is going to cause problems then test out the assumption and note the results. Again you have to do this numerous times before the negative thoughts are disconnected from the activity.

3. At some point you have to have the courage to let go. After you have done the thought records etc you eventually have to say to yourself that all the evidence is against the negative beliefs and just do stuff that accelerates your heart rate. This again is not a single step but takes quite a few attempts before the anxiety levels start dropping.

I am still like you in that sometimes I get funny thoughts about my heart, especially walking up stairs etc, however I just keep trying and keep challenging the negative thoughts.

Hope that helps.

PoisonIvy
25-01-08, 20:15
Is anyone still writing about palpitations/missed heart beats? I so hope so because I've been suffering for the last few months and it's driving me mad. ECG's done at GP's surgery and A&E picked it up yet no-one could explain what was causing it. I've been put on beta-blockers which have certainly calmed it down a bit but I still feel swimmy, dizzy and not really well. Mind you, you can get these symtpoms as side effects from the beta-blockers.

I lost my job of 5 years in May 06 - it was an unfair dismissal and haven't been able to find a job since. I suffered dreadfully with depression and was on first citalopram and then mirtazepine - on which I piled on 3 stone. Then things just got worse and worse in Jan 07 got flooded out of my home and after being moved 8 times in 10 days (with my son) was finally put in temporary accommodation for 9 months. During that time i.e. I started getting dreadful pain periodically which was found to be gallstones so put on waiting list, but in March had surgery for prolapse repair and vaginal hysterectomy. In May my mother tried to end her life by taking an overdose - she remained in hospital for the next 3 months, with more and more things being found wrong with her finally dying in August 07. In November 07 I have my gallbladder removed via keyhole surgery but I still get pain from that and have felt so ill following. It turned out I am one of the 40% who have problems afterwards. GP said it will probably take 6 months to completely heal internally.

I've had all the related issues with nausea, vomiting, couldn't eat properly for a couple of months, lost a stone and a half, and coupled with all that my heart rate was driving me mad. I just felt so ill with everything. If there's a side-effect to medication I get it with a vengence. I have osteo-arthritis in both hips and between my shoulder blades so never a day goes by without pain.

I'm only 59 yet feel like I'm 15 years older. I feel scared, terrified of getting old, pain and dying. Watching my mother dying was horrible. I look in the mirror and no longer see someone I used to know but an old woman. I'm not on anti-depressants anymore because it's the anxiety, panic and fear that I feel that's making me feel so ill all the time.

My GP thinks and says I'm slowly getting better and feels my ill health/irregular heart rate is all to do with what has been happening over the last 18 months. I've now got a red angry looking area on my left ankle which suddenly appeared 10 days ago and she has no idea what it is and just said leave it alone but see her if it gets bigger - well it has and I'm panicking again. I HATE hospitals and feel so scared something really bad is going to be found wrong with me.

I have my youngest son living with me but been divorced for years. I don't have any friends, no social life and in any event, feeling the way I do couldn't enjoy anything anyway, it's hard enough just going out for a bit of shopping. Daily chores are a real effort too. WHEN will it all end and I feel normal again is what I so long to know.

Is there anyone out there who has any/all of the same problems and how the heck are you coping with it all? :weep:

Just remembered. The GP feels I would benefit with some counselling - yeah right - there's a 6 month waiting list. Oh and next month I have to have a tooth out and I'm terrified of dentists and every time I have a tooth out I always get an infection and dry socket - pain just loves me. It just goes on and one................... :weep:

kestral
28-01-08, 19:30
woke last night from a nightmare and my heart was beating fast but the worrying thing was when i checked my pulse, a thing i do when i get irregular beats, my heart seemed to be quicker than the pulse which was fairly normal. is this possible, as anybody ever felt this themselves?

Rachey poos
29-01-08, 01:28
i woke too last night,:weep: had to lay on the wooden floor on the landing with the window open till i calmed down:curse: i get so mad when it happens....sounds like lots of ectopics to me..its what i get with loads of thumps ..one every other beat, horrid....took a nytol tonight so fingers crossed i sleep :emot-sleepyhead:

kestral
29-01-08, 10:49
palpatations and missed heart beats this morning ended in a panic attack. have settled down now but am still feeling the odd missed beat.

Ontarioguy42
17-03-08, 18:03
Wow this is a neat site but very outdated...darn..wish ppl were still in here.

re
03-12-09, 03:30
OK. suffer from anxiety disorder for only 6 months now. Ive never experienced anything like it. Ive had MANY drastic changes in my life this yr, and minor changes were never kind to me in the past. Anyway, Doctor seems to think its sudden anxiety disorder from what Im going thru AND possibly PeriMenopause. Ive been to ER few times when it first started 6 months ago. EKG, echo, stress test came out fine.

So, of course you all know my symptoms... palps, rapid beat, crushing chest, burning chest, hard to breath, tiny pinches around left breast, muscle around left breast twitches... list goes on. NOW, my question is: does anyone else get RELIEF from sitting with your feet on floor and bending over so your chest meets your lap?

I breath better in this position. Someone told me that thats a sign of a heart prob. But my heart was checked, and scares me.

ANYONE have anything to say to make me feel better??? This is all new to me.
I don't know how to control whatever is happening to me.

Thank you for reading

re
03-12-09, 03:39
... I also take xanax but they only seem to calm me while im having an attack, not as much keep me from having one.

and yes , i now see this site is outdated. hope someone reads

Maj
03-12-09, 08:58
Outdated???:shrug: