PDA

View Full Version : Back Pain and Medication Fears...HELP

SocialTool
30-06-09, 03:21
Ok. So I have had a pretty bad shoulder/back for quite a bit of time. Lately it's flared up. I went to the doctor today because I was worried that it might be something more b/c my abdomen also hurt. She gave me some meds and told me that I was ok. (she took urine, blood and poked me a bit) I have two things that are provoking anxiety:

1. For all of you who have suffered lower back pain. Has it ever wrapped around to the front? Like my pain is in the same muscles as the muscles that I would use to do a sit-up.

2. She gave me Naproxen 500mg, but warned me that it pretty rough on the stomach, so she also gave me Nexium. When I read the warnings for Naproxen, it freaked me too much to even want to take it. Plus I also take Effexor XR and my biggest fear is something is going to always interact with that. I have Xanax that I NEVER take because of these fears.

I get very frustrated at myself because logically and intellectually I know all the answers, but my brain is making me fear these things. I'm in a bit of a mess right now and would like some reassurance/insight on this stuff. Thanks a bunch guys. :blush:

Cococj
30-06-09, 04:22
Hi,

Good morning, or evening as it is there. :)

I can't help much with the second question. But a short answer to your first is yes, assuming we're talking musculoskeletal pain then any any pain can "wrap around" to the front, either because a) nerves, or b) the abdominal muscles are being overworked to compensate.

As you didn't state what form your pain is though just to cover the other option, that is, gastro-intestinal pain which can be felt in both the back and front.

Regardless of which it is I've had both in the past and I'm quite like you in that respect, I worry about it and worry make myself anxious and this just makes things worse.

Just try to relax, breathe properly, sit well or lay down on something firm and just think nice thoughts, when my back, guts, associated muscles are playing up that's what I do, and I always work my way through it eventually.

Chris
:hugs:

SocialTool
30-06-09, 12:35
Thanks for your response chris. I have decided to suck it up and take the meds that my doc gave me. It will make me feel better anyway. I will let you know how I'm comin along...