PDA

View Full Version : just been for an assesment-waste of time

deb-22
30-06-09, 14:41
I have suffered anxiety for years now off and on after trying citalopram....unsucsefully my GP said he was going to refer me for councelling on arrival today .... I had to meet with an extreemly arrogant lady who was asking me what I expected from today I know they havnt got magic wands but I thought she was there to advise me all she gave me was the telephone numbers to the crisis team( we give these to everyone she said) I have got more help and understanding from people on this site just the few times I have been on. I am going to try and manage this myself I just wanted to cry when I came out.:huh:

Kerrigan
30-06-09, 15:13
I know what you mean, I've never understood psychology, after years of it I consider it to be a quack subject which is scary really considering it's one of our main lifelines.

Everyone is different, the patient and practitioner might not fundamentally get on. I've just got my letter through for an assessment and I know there's a waiting list but it's months since I requested to see somebody and it turns out it's going to be some bloke, how can I open up to a man? They've all been women up to now and for some reason (I think because my parents-esp. my mum-forced me to get psychotherapy) I seem to act like everything is okay when I'm in the sessions.

Psychology is a subjective thing, it's like one persons judgement might be different to the next persons but I'm sure they know what they're doing as it's a vocation, right? They are just human, maybe I'm thinking negatively but I feel like my last therapist Una knew of my request and turned it down, I can imagine her at the hearing saying "Oh her, pass, I'm not dealing with her again".

Sometimes I get the impression they don't give a damn, how do you know if they are really helping you and who can you turn to and say 'this person is a lazy fraud!'.

And how does it help (apart from the therapeutic reason of self-expression) to solve your problems? I've told loads of people when I get talking from taxi drivers to prospective bosses that 'Oh, I just have this sort of nervous problem' which dominates my whole life and squashes my real personality and makes people find me akward and/or feel sorry for me.

The only difference between telling a stranger and a therapist is that the therapist looks at you blankly and says 'what would happen if you choked in public then?' and makes you challenge the fear that you've entertained for too long. So yes they are objective but ultimately and maybe this is better formed as a question: does the path to freedom rest with us or them?

maro111
30-06-09, 15:52
Hi, this is an interesting thread!!!

I have suffered from SA, OCD and despression for roughly ten years now and have seen a large number of councillors, psychologists and pychiatrists but tbh none of them have ever done anything for me (besides meds). I am starting to feel better these days largely through my own efforts, but I am considering studying psychology as I would like to help those who are similarly suffering. Would it make much difference talking to someone who has had similar experiences or are people inward-looking when they are ill, that they may say 'well that was you, but your not me'??

I am conflicted about whether to go along the psychology path because of fact that no professional has ever been able to help me in the past, so would I be able to help others??? When i was in the room with the therapists I would start to feel better, but half an hour after leaving any benefit would have drifted away. Like Kerrigan asked, does the path to freedom rest with us or them???. I can only speak for myself.

has anybody here genuinely been helped by a professional or is the fight solely with us and one that we can only fight alone??

I may be way off mark here, as i say only my own experience to go by, so would be good to here of others experiences.

mark :) :)

deb-22
30-06-09, 16:31
thanks for your replys at least Im not the only one out there. Im begining to believe that what kerrigan says that maybe we hold the key inside ourselves I think I would have gotton more from a taxi driver Ill bet her wage is more than mine tho. Not sure what path to take now feel really let down Im glad mark that your own efforts have made you better . thank goodness for nmp

maro111
30-06-09, 16:43
thanks deb,

I wouldnt totally give up on some professional helping you. I think it has alot to do with the person helping you. the person must be 100% aggreeable to you (i.e. you trust them , respect them and see them as a figure of authority and knowledge). If somebody you looked up to and respected gave you some advice, it might just subconciously be taken on board more???

Mabye the style of therapy was wrong for you. im guessing all therapists are different in their approach. it may just be that you need to find the right person, someone you see as a role model. Unfortunately though with the NHS you dont always have that choice.

peoplelikeus
30-06-09, 17:00
I went to see a professional once and she told me she couldn't develop a relationship with me.....I didn't want one!!! I want help for panic disorder which comes out of the blue and mainly in my sleep...waking up is a nightmare and I am scared of dropping off to sleep!

I want valium but they won't give it me. Propranolol isnt working like it did,

maro111
30-06-09, 17:05
Sorry to hear that peoplelikeus!!

For therapy to be effective there has to be good chemistry between the patient and therapist!!

Mistral
30-06-09, 18:05
Interesting, I wonder if we have a male/female reaction here. Woman generally get through life's difficulties by "talking". Men traditional bottle it up. I have always wondered how on earth men can survive anxiety/panic because of this.

I have found good counsilling invaluable, but have had my share of, as I put it the 6 week night school class psychiatrists who, I think can do far more damage than good. I can usually tell them far more about themselves than they can tell me about me !

Mistral

Mistral
30-06-09, 18:12
Deb

Why don't you just give it one more go and then decide if it is right for you, it is so hard to get on the NHS. Tell her how she made you feel, if she is any good at her job she will change her atitude once she knows she upset you.

Chin up x

Annabelle
01-07-09, 09:41
I know how you feel - after 10 various psycologists over the years - some good some pointless you definatly need the right chemistry. However as most of those were child psycologists (anxiety started at 16) they were very empathetic and understanding. However you always get the newbies straight out of training and there trying out everything they've just learnt it can get a bit repetative! It got to the point where i was more qualified to do CBT than they were and i knew exactly what they were going to say before they did! When you've got a personality thats making you avoid anything that might trigger a panic - you can learn to manipulate them! terrible i know but when your not in a place to get better then you'll do anything not to panic!
Adult services are appalling! I had a lady who wouldn't come for home visits i had to get to the hospital before she would treat me - How do you get to the hospital for treatment for agoraphobia without treatment?! plus by the time i forced myself to go she shut me in a room and left me there on my own having a massive panic attack saying i couldnt leave until it was over - it was for my own good! that was my first session! needless to say there wasn't any trust after that and she signed me off after 5 weeks saying i was fine - still having panic Attacks in her office!
Places like this board have offered me more insight and support than the NHS was ever able to - mental health policies need serious investment of both time and money in order for them to be affective in treating debilitating conditions such as anxiety and depression.

sorry rant over! xx

peoplelikeus
04-07-09, 17:35
good and valid points

lonely
04-07-09, 21:03
thats appaling how they treated you :scared15: :scared15: :scared15: :hugs:

I know how you feel - after 10 various psycologists over the years - some good some pointless you definatly need the right chemistry. However as most of those were child psycologists (anxiety started at 16) they were very empathetic and understanding. However you always get the newbies straight out of training and there trying out everything they've just learnt it can get a bit repetative! It got to the point where i was more qualified to do CBT than they were and i knew exactly what they were going to say before they did! When you've got a personality thats making you avoid anything that might trigger a panic - you can learn to manipulate them! terrible i know but when your not in a place to get better then you'll do anything not to panic!
Adult services are appalling! I had a lady who wouldn't come for home visits i had to get to the hospital before she would treat me - How do you get to the hospital for treatment for agoraphobia without treatment?! plus by the time i forced myself to go she shut me in a room and left me there on my own having a massive panic attack saying i couldnt leave until it was over - it was for my own good! that was my first session! needless to say there wasn't any trust after that and she signed me off after 5 weeks saying i was fine - still having panic Attacks in her office!
Places like this board have offered me more insight and support than the NHS was ever able to - mental health policies need serious investment of both time and money in order for them to be affective in treating debilitating conditions such as anxiety and depression.

sorry rant over! xx