PDA

View Full Version : Tooth Extraction on Friday, need reassurance!

shotokansho
30-06-09, 18:08
Hello everyone.

Does anyone have dental phobia? I have had dreadful pain, to the point of screaming and climbing the walls for six months. I went to the dentist and he said it was my upper left wisdom tooth and needed removing. I made the appointment to have it removed and left. When i returned a week later, i sat in the chair and immediatly started with the palps and sweaty palms, hence i ran away as fast as i could! :ohmy:
My dentist refered me to the hospital, there i can have local and iv sedation. When the doctor took x-rays to my dismay i discovered that although my wisdom tooth was decayed it was the tooth next to it that was the culprit of all the pain. There was a large hole in it, reaching right down to my nerve. So now i discover i have to have them both removed. :weep:
I had My lower left wisdom tooth out last year, with local and iv sedation and it wasn't so bad. I hardly remember anything of it, but i did cry all the way through it...this i don't know why? It's like i am trying to reason with myself because i have had it done before and know what to expect, it's like since finding out i have to have two removed it's heightened my anxiety.
I heard it's easier to extract uppers than lowers, is this true? Do you think it will take any extra time to have the two out? Why am i such an idiot about this? :blush:
I know it needs to be done, no two ways about it, and to be honest i can't wait to be pain free and free from mouth infections...but i am just so frightened.
thanks in advance
Kerry x

den68
30-06-09, 19:07
hi
i am a manger of a dental practice and have been a dental nurse for years.
It normally true that an upper wisdom tooth is a lot easier to extract as it normally only has 1 root. I would have them both out whilst your under the iv if i was you as it will save you going through all the panic again when the other one starts playing up which it will. With the iv you wont hardly know whats going on and wont remember hardly anything about it after. When you get the hospital or where ever your having it done out tell the nurse or dentist how bad your phobia is and about your panick attacks. most staff in dentistry are really sympathetic about people wuth severe dental phobias and will reassure you and help you through it

hope that helps
den68

shotokansho
30-06-09, 19:14
Thanks Den, do you get this a lot then where you work?

den68
30-06-09, 19:23
hi
god yeh . I had 1 lovely patient who passed out at the door before getting into the surgery she was that terrified but over time we have helped her and now she will come and have things done as long as im holding 1 hand and a certain nurse is nursing for her.
I have phobias my self and so can understand how awful it is for you, but your gonna be in agony if you dont get that tooth out. Could you take someone with you that could explain how afraid you are if your worried about telling them, but be assured all dental staff i have met over the years and its loads want to make the visit as comfortable as possible. Let me know how you get on
den68

nomorepanic
30-06-09, 19:38
I had the top 2 wisdom teeth removed with just an injection and it was fine - no pain at all.

Good luck!

nataliean1982
30-06-09, 19:41
i went under for my wisdom tooth extraction because they had not surfaced yet, but i can tell you that when i woke up there was almost no pain at all, after some of the drugs wear off, there was a dull pain, nothing too bad. just be sure to follow the after care instructions, no smoking, and drinking out of straws, etc. this is where you could cause yourself the most pain, or risk infection.

shotokansho
30-06-09, 20:02
I thought you were meant to drink through straws? They want me to go under general because last time i was such a pain for them. But i am more scared of general than the actual procedure because i have had DVT in the past.

nataliean1982
30-06-09, 20:46
i cant remember for sure...i had mine done about 15 years ago...i just remember there is something about straws, do or dont..they will tell you. certain things will cause a dry socket, not really sure what that is either, but i know it can be easily avoided by just doing what they tell you.

shotokansho
31-07-09, 22:24
Well i did it everyone. I had two taken out. I was really brave until the procedure actually started. Then i started to cry and struggle. I thought the IV sedation was meant to ease this? Anyway it's over and done with now and they are out. Suffered a little a few days later but other than that there was no problems after. Thanks for all advice and support everyone.

Kez xx