PDA

View Full Version : Fibromyalgia and the weather

Cococj
30-06-09, 19:10
Hi all,

I just wanted a quick idea of whether the recent hot weather has caused anyone an increase in Fibromyalgic type pain?

I've suffered from HA for a while, but I came off medication a few months back and after the withdrawal have felt better in myself that I'd felt in many years. However since going out for a long walk in the the heat on Monday, I've had horrendous pain and discomfort in my upper back, chest, neck, lower back, buttocks etc etc.

I was wondering if anyone else has had this happen to them cos of warm weather, my previous experience from this is it's only been cold weather that's caused me issues.

Being unable to breath properly cos of muscle stiffness and pain isn't doing my anxiety much good lol.

Does anyone have any tips on how to deal with this without the use of painkillers, cos they're really not touching the pain at all. So any tips or advice on how you deal with weather changes would be cool to hear.

Thanks
Chris

L1SA
06-07-09, 13:43
Hi

Not sure where to start :scared15: LOL

Have a look here...http://www.ukfibromyalgia.com/forums/index.php

This has alot of information & support for you plus you have the FMAUK website to

Yes weather changes can effect fibro. I know the weather is colling down now. Sorry only just seen this thread so will make a regular visit as there seems to be alot on fibromyalgia around here.

More info here

http://www.fibromyalgia-symptoms.org/fibromyalgia_weather.html

FM is normaly worse in cold weather as it stiffens the muscles more BUT hot weather can upset the nerves like in MS sufferers.

I also have chest tightness in fact its so commen amoungst sufferers!

Instead of medication you can have physiotherapy/hydrotherapy/massages/accupunture....

Also relaxation techniques like alexandra technique/yoga/pilates & tai chi

see here

http://www.fibromyalgia-symptoms.org/fibromyalgia_complimentary_medicine.html

you need to regularly do this to benefit and maintain the good it does.

hope this helps :hugs:

Cococj
06-07-09, 16:31
Hey L1sa

Thanks for the useful information I'll take a look at it, yeah I'm aware of the cold weather thing winter is hell especially in my flat cos the heating in the bedroom is useless.

It's the first time I've really had such severe pain during hot weather though so I thought I'd throw the question out there and see what surfaced :)

Thank you
Chris

valleybear
06-07-09, 16:51
Hi Chris
Lisa is the expert here and the forum on fibromyalgia is really good. Just wanted to let you know that my pain is usually worse in hot weather...strange but true. Painkillers only give limited and transient relief I fear. Have pain in cold weather too of course, but sometimes you can counter that however not much you can do in the heat. Good luck and hope you are a bit better...seems to be cooling down now. XX

L1SA
06-07-09, 18:27
Hey L1sa

I thought I'd throw the question out there and see what surfaced :)

Thank you
Chris

Throw away!! :winks:

I am used to answering questions, its my job. Im glad to help as Fibromaylagia is a very complicated condition.

Lisa

Cococj
06-07-09, 19:50
Hey,

Thanks Lisa, I took a look at the forum and some of the posts there, are you the Lisa listed as one of the mods there?

I've always been wary of joining as it seems a condition that women suffer from far more than men and I'd probably feel out of place.

Anyway, on topic, I went to see the GP on Friday and he's decided in his wisdom (eek) to check my heart out (ecg, echo) and do kidney, thyroid and calcium blood tests, I suspect he's not convinced it's fibro pain, though having suffered from it for several years now I'm used to it ish... though the palpitations and chest pain this weekend were, er... offputting.

I'm 31, feeling like 80 some days. One of the things I've noticed during this flare up is the lack of leg pain, as that's usually quite signifiicant, though since I've been off meds I've been getting out more and walking so the exercise might be doing them good. You've mentioned something similar in your earlier post, but would gentle weights and upper body exercise help improve there too? I only ask as the previous times I've tried this I've had the pain from the exercised muscles to deal with too and I'm not sure I could handle that at the moment.

Chris

L1SA
06-07-09, 20:25
Another forum with more males :winks:

http://www.fibromyalgia-associationuk.org/community/

It is more of female illness BUT there are many males. Alot chat on the main forums FMAUK

Yes i am the Mod & Mod on FMAUK under *Lisa*

It is normal for a doctor to rule out everything before FM is diagnosed.

I personaly would not recommend weights. Weights are to build strength, you need to *stretch* the muscles in fibro.

Where they stiffen you need to gentle stretch the muscles to help the tension.

Lisa