PDA

View Full Version : Heart Murmur

pablo
09-09-05, 17:55
Hi Guys,

Hope everyone is well. I've not visited the forum for a while but wanted to put a little note here about what happened today as feeling a little worried. Sorry if it goes on a bit...

There's already a post on here about my background, but basically had my first panic attack back in Nov last year. This manifested in panic episodes, a bit or agorophobia and a lot of health anxiety, particularly around my heart and palpitations / irregular beats and fear of sudden death, etc.

Like many of you, I have been battling with it since, going thorugh the different manifestations and having good periods and bad. Lately (last couple of months) I've felt able to better control it, alythough worries about health are never far away.

Anyway, I decided if I had a full "MOT" as it were (in the form of a private health assessment from Bupa, that is) I could get the final word on my general health and it would help me put all this worry to bed. My appointment was today.

They were very nice and did loads of tests - Blood profile, urine, lung capacity, BP and full examination including ECG. All came back normal, except the doctor reckons he can hear a murmur in my heart. He said the ECG they took looked ok, but he could definitely hear a murmur. They have sent ECG to cardiologist for further investigation.

The thing is, when my jumping heart beats / palpitations were at their worst back in January, I went to a cardiologist who gave me the full works. He said everything was fine, although there was a slight murmur at the base, but he said this was "probably" of physiological origin and did not seem to indicate that it would cause any issues. Since then, I have been examined at least twice by doctors who have listened to my heart and said everything was ok, up until now. Just when I was beginning to get my head around the fact the jumping heart was due to excess adrenaline or something anxiety related, it turns out mine may be due to something else.

My worry is that whatever is there is getting worse and initially may not have been apparent to a doctor using a stethescope, but now it's gotten worse and they can hear it more easily.

Another thing is that, apparently, one of the symptoms of a murmur is fatigue. And as it happens, over the past few weeks I have been feeling very tired and almost "spaced out", usually in the afternoon / early evening - mainy while at work. I have been sleeping ok though. So, you can guess the way I'm starting to think, I don't need to say any more...

Has anyone else had anything similar suggested to them? Or does anyone have any advice? Second opinion ECG results aren't due for another 2 weeks and I'm starting to get scared..

Another thing is, in order to face my fear of flying, I'm going to greece with my partner next month and now I've heard all this, I'm starting to get concerned about going... All I was worried about before was controlling my panic on the plane, but now I'm worried about maybe having a heat attack thorugh panic, partuicularly if they have indicated that I have this damn murmur....

Sorry for going on.....

Paul [V]

Piglet
09-09-05, 18:31
Hi Paul,

When I was pregnant with my second child (16 years ago) it was picked up that I had a heart murmur possibly due to my pregnancy.

This was investigated and my GP can no longer hear it. It didn't seem to be an issue with my third pregnancy but I have carried on telling anyone medical who would listen that I have one.

The only difference this had made to me over the last 16 years is that I have to have antibiotics if I have any dental treatment and a different sort of injection.

I know at least 3 other people ranging in allsorts of ages with heart murmurs whom it makes no other difference to either - unless perhaps you wanted to join the army which would rank along with flat feet and short sightedness and hopefully yours will be this sort too.

Love Piglet:)

seh1980
09-09-05, 18:37
hi Paul,

I had a heart murmur when I was little and it has since disappeared. As far as I know, it's not a life threatening condition and doesn't affect the lives of those that have it. All the best!!

Sarah :D

"Life is too important to take seriously" Corky Siegal

hunny
09-09-05, 19:48
Hi Paul

I have a heart murmur.
I had been feeling,weak,tired,spaced out,had palpitations,chest pain which was sometimes really painful and a host of other things.I was constantly being sent home from work because i was feeling "unwell".
To cut a very long story short,i was taken to hospital one day as i had this chest pain and was panicing about it.They discovered i had a heart murmur and organised tests etc spanning over 6 weeks.I had several ecgs an echo and had to wear a 24hr monitor.
During this time i was terrified that i was going to drop dead,was terrified to fly(although i did because we were going on a family holiday,during which i had massive panic attacks constantly).
When i got back from holiday my test results were back.
I had a "functional" or what they call an "innocent" heart murmur.They told me all of my problems were due to my anxiety/panic disorder.
I didnt believe them at first and still have to keep telling myself now that,no,i dont have a heart defect.
A heart murmur is actually just the noise.If you tell them you are tired/have palpitations.pain etc then of course they are going to do further tests,its common sense!

Im sorry i have gone on for so long.Just wanted to tell you my story because i know exactly how you are feeling.
Please pm me if you want to talk further

Hugs, Hunny x

linjane
10-09-05, 07:42
Hi Paul,

I don't know much about heart murmurs but I hope you can find reassurance in the other replies you've had.

I do get the missed heartbeats/flutterings/palpitations usually on a daily basis and like you can't get past being scared of them. I've had the usual tests which just picked up an isolated ectopic heartbeat, but the hospital didn't want to see me again nor did they give me any medication. It still totally freaks me out and I can't understand why I still get them after over three years, sometimes when I don't even feel anxious and when I have tried not to think about them?

Take care,
Love, Linda.x

Meg
10-09-05, 10:01
Its true that having a heart murmur can predispose you to having ectopics as heart murmurs are often related to the valve between the atrium and ventricle where also the electrical impulses run across.

However a couple of tests such as an echo will determine whetehr this needs any intervention.

Most murmurs that need intervention are easily heard through the stethoscope by a GP.

Meg
www.anxietymanagementltd.com

Your anxiety is the human representation of the pictures that you paint using your many vivid colours of revolving and reoccurring thoughts.
How big is your gallery ?

pablo
12-09-05, 15:15
Thanks so much for your replies. I feel alot better now. Guess I'll just have to wait to see what doc has to say when test results come back. I'll let you know what happens! Thanks again :)

BrandyS
12-09-05, 16:01
I do not have a murmur, but I do suffer from the palpitations, missed beats pretty regularly. They are very very scary! I have had numerous EKG's and even an echocardiogram--all good. Tech even said that I would probably never have a heart attack unless my kids give me one! Must have looked pretty good---why is it though, that I can't quit worrying?
Brandy

Cinders4
19-09-05, 14:00
Brandy.... Its because you are like many of us, who are just born to worry, and despite reassurances will go on doubting and start thinking what if they missed something. well it may have been ok then but what about all the sstress Ive put on it since with all my worrying etc etc etc...

Docs cant win with folk like us x

pablo
27-09-05, 23:53
Hi Guys,

Just thought I'd follow up on this. Have received my results and they say the ECG shows an "Electrical Disturbance", but that it is a "Normal Variant". I followed this up with a GP who said it's equivalent to having different coloured eyes..i.e. it exists, but is not that serious.

I feel a lot better now. On top of that, I'm facing my other fear..flying and going to Crete next Tuesday. A few beers and a bottle of Rescue remedy should do it!! Bring it on!

I'm feeling rather confident at the mo, I just hope I can keep it up next time the dodgy beats come, or when I get on that plane.....

Wish me luck!!

Paul x

seh1980
28-09-05, 10:34
[Wow!] good for you Paul!! You are brave!! Hope you have a terrific time. Do tell us all about it when you get back..:D

"If life were simple, word would have got around"

Piglet
28-09-05, 12:13
Aha, that's reassuring news for you Paul - now you can go and enjoy your hols without thinking about it.

Have a super time!!!!

Love Piglet :)

"Supposing a tree fell down, Pooh, when we were underneath it?" said Piglet.
"Supposing it didn't," said Pooh after careful thought.

Gilly Bean
28-09-05, 12:26
Aw brilliant news Paul. You go and enjoy your holiday now. Really chuffed for you. Don't drink too many beers!!!!! Have a good time.
Gilly xxx [8D]

Meg
28-09-05, 12:48
Have a great holiday

Karen
28-09-05, 16:16
Have a great holiday Paul.

Karen

It is not easy to find happiness in ourselves, and it is not possible to find it elsewhere.

linjane
28-09-05, 18:34
Hi Paul,

Thats really good news.

Enjoy your holiday and good luck with the flight, I can sympathise with you on that one as well. I went to Majorca in June and handled the flight - I took a portable cd player, a relaxation cd and a bottle of rescue remedy on the plane - and got through the flight. I was more scared coming back, having loads of missed beats at the airport, but I made it home to tell the tale! I'm envious of you, going off to the sun, with us stuck here with this wind and rain!!!

Take care,
Love, Linda.x

Cinders4
28-09-05, 20:00
good for you paul