PDA

View Full Version : Fear of Taking Medication

SocialTool
01-07-09, 03:17
I am truly afraid of taking any medicine that is prescribed to me. I only take my anti-depressant and the occasional Advil. I'm wondering if any of you guys have the same fears? It would be nice to see some responses to let me know that I am not alone with this. Also, if you have any tips with how you have dealt with this that would be great as well. :)

Cococj
01-07-09, 03:32
Hi,

Yes I've suffered with this in the past, it got to the point that even a simple aspirin would make me feel awful, not because it was doing something but because I was worried it would.

I got over this somewhat last year when I was given a course of antibiotics for an ear infection, a different type to the normal one I had been given in the past cos they had started playing with my bowls in a nasty way, but the new ones did what they needed without makig me feel bad, it was becuase I needed to take them I guess I felt not so bad on them.

The only tip I can give you is NEVER read the side effects part of the leaflet included in the pack, make sure you're not taking anything else that might interact with it or that it's not advised for specific people but don't read the side effects.

Now I'm not so bad, I AM more careful with what I take but I can deal with most drugs okay.

Chris

IllegallyBlond
01-07-09, 05:19
Hi. I have always had anxiety about taking medications. My doctor gave me Klonopin to help with my attacks, and they are still sitting in my purse untouched. I tend to read the little pamphlet that comes with them, and when I get to the side effects it freaks me out, so I don't take them. Here I may have this little pill that may be a miracle sitting in my purse, and I'm to afraid to take it. Silly I know, but just me. So you are not alone on this one.

Trixie
01-07-09, 05:51
The only medication that gives me the 'shivers' is Paracetamol.

The information leaflet that is given along with the tablets has to list all side effects that have been reported to the GP/consultant (the drug companies wouldn't want to be sued). But this doesn't mean that you will get them as well.

SocialTool
01-07-09, 22:51
Thanks guys. A friend put it this way for me last night.... EVERYTHING has a warning on it nowadays, so the drug companies are just protecting themselves like everyone else. It's nice to know I'm not alone on this. :hugs:

aurora
01-07-09, 23:02
I am exactly the same way. I've had to stop taking vitamin pills because I imagined they were making me more anxious, though I doubt that they really were! You're definitely not alone in this.

nomorepanic
01-07-09, 23:54
I replied to another thread.

Scroll down and read similar threads and you will find it