PDA

View Full Version : why wont my panic attacks go

hayley3
01-07-09, 22:23
Im having another bad day today,
I couldn't take my children down the park,
It was so hot and i must of panicked on the fact it was so hot, (that's my first symptom when getting an attack) then the fact that i might get stopped in traffic, and there is no way at the mo ill walk just in case i need to hide or get out the sight of people cause i get embarresed,

I think its all down to my self-esteem, i don't like people thinking badly of me, when i get an attack i feel that people are judging me like is she drunk or on drugs and she have the children how bad is that,
well im not on either i wouldn't have the mentality even if i did want to drink,
I feel like i cant even have fun anymore and people see me as boring, i wish i could feel normally again, its nearly been 2 years now and im so xxxxxx off with the hole consept of it, so xxxxxx, anyone else feel like this

Zotamis
02-07-09, 04:36
It was so hot and i must of panicked on the fact it was so hot, (that's my first symptom when getting an attack) then the fact that i might get stopped in traffic, and there is no way at the mo ill walk just in case i need to hide or get out the sight of people cause i get embarresed,

I think its all down to my self-esteem, i don't like people thinking badly of me, when i get an attack i feel that people are judging me like is she drunk or on drugs and she have the children how bad is that,
well im not on either i wouldn't have the mentality even if i did want to drink,
I feel like i cant even have fun anymore and people see me as boring, i wish i could feel normally again, its nearly been 2 years now and im so xxxxxx off with the hole consept of it, so xxxxxx, anyone else feel like this

Hello Hayley3!

I'm sorry that you are feeling kinda crappy :(
Ive had Panic Attacks for ~8 years now and I cant say i feel normal, but my attacks have dropped drastically, i have one every 2-3 weeks now (was at 10 a day)

I still try to have fun and go socialize.
well, cant think of anymore to type.

hope this helps

Veronica H
02-07-09, 09:30
:bighug1: Hi Hayley.

Sorry that you are having such a bad time with your anxiety. Thoughts become feelings with this illnesss and I notice many negative thoughts about yourself in your post, together with assumptions about what other people must be thinking of you. There is a brilliant book by Dr Claire Weekes called 'self help for your nerves', published by Thorsons. This is available from the NMP Shop. Her work can also be downloaded free to your MP3 from the shop. I can not recommend this enough as it really explains what is happening to us, and how we can recover. It is really difficult to accept that we are doing this to ourselves. This will get better.
I would not be too hard on yourself about not making it to the park in the car as it has been exceptionally hot and I bet many mums have given up on that one just now.

Veronica

tasia
02-07-09, 10:05
Hay hayley..

Sorry to hear that you are feeling so bad with your panic attacks..ive suffered with them for many years but like veronica above i got the brilliant Dr. Claire Weekes book..its a brilliant read very easy to understand just like she is there with you..this book is my salvation i was advised to buy it when i had depression and anxiety by my nurse..ive never taken tablets or anything if i feel something coming on i pick my book up and read it and it makes me understand everything that is happening...please try to buy it...your panic attacks will get better believe me...good luck xx

lorac
02-07-09, 10:22
Hi Hayley

I certainly do understand how you feel I have been there myself but am now on the road to recovery. Hayley don't worry about what others think they may see, it doesn't matter, just be yourself and don't hide away from the world because you feel strange. I did this for a long time and it didn't help. Worrying about what others think will just put more pressure on you.

I see already that people have recommended the Claire Weekes books and I agree with their choice, it wasn't until I discovered her books that I began to recognise what was going on with me and I learned how to deal with panic and anxiety and not to be affraid of it. You can buy her books online or you can borrow them from the library.

Don't worry about not going to the park, I wouldn't even attempt it in the heat, the heat always makes my panic worse.

Carol

peoplelikeus
02-07-09, 19:10
heat has messed me up recently too...waking up short of breath and then panicking

dweener
02-07-09, 20:37
hiya Hayley thank you for your reply to my earlyer post about desperatly needing help. sorry to hear you are having such a bad time like you i am still struggling i read your post about not taking your children to the park dont beat yourself up, today i havent even managed to look after my daughter she was shipped off yet again to a family member cause i dont feel i can cope with her if i get panicky. so at least hard as it is you r looking after your children. im forcing myself to try and stay positive about looking after my daughter alone tomorrow but struggling big time it would be nice to as you say to try getting through this with someone in the same sort of cicumstances so hope to hear from you soon see how your getting on once it calls down.

hayley3
02-07-09, 20:42
Thankyou to all the kind words that have been said, i was so pleased of myself the night before last cause i managed to control my panic attack, but then last night i woke up having one, by god they are the worst of all and very frightening especially were i am on my own at the mo, i got so scared and couldnt control it, i feel like a failure, i feel so spaced out today, that i dont feel real and that im going to collapse at anytime, why did i take 1 step forward and 2 steps back

dweener
02-07-09, 20:50
i find that happens you acheive something and get a high from it, then the next thing you no a new symptom appears or the panic gets more severe to knock you bk on your behind. i tell myself everytime i get a new symptom that it is just my body testing me as i have overcome the last syptom and that my body will give up soon as i overcome each thing and i will live a normal life again. its the most positive thing i have told myself in ages just got to start beliving it now. have you read the claire weeks book that was recommended?

mega
02-07-09, 21:44

I having more panic now the hot weather here, and you feel like eveyone can tell, you are like way out there, i had panic attack for over 30 year now and for me it as bad as it allway been but some poeple I spoke to that had attacks keep saying you grow out of them so there some hope for me :yesyes: Just remember they are other like you that you walk by evey day without knowing so you are not alone and if you get a panic out just remember it will pass and enjoy life with your children:yahoo:

purplehaze
03-07-09, 02:45
I am sure like many people we have all wished for our panic attacks to go. Maybe we have even begged in our darkest moments for just one moment of peace of mind.

We can only but wonder what it would be like to go to the shops without fear, or on a bus without wondering if we will have to jump off it, or for the really brave a plane journey. Yet at the moment most of these things cause us some about of fear.

If we could but split ourselves from ourselves and watch how we act, I can bet the logical side of us would think " man chill out there is nothing to fear" and we know there is nothing to fear.

Keep telling yourself that you can do it
Believe what you are saying
Reward yourself when you do something

You will slowly get better and I use the word slowly because there is no fast fix here but we all will move forward so believe it

love
kev

hayley3
03-07-09, 19:33
thank you for you comment meg, you are right there are loads of people out there that have panic attacks, i just wish i could see someone else having one, not that i wish it on anyone, but i think if i saw someone having one i could help, and be reassured at the same time that i am not the only one that gets them, i hope that this makes sense and that i really dont wish panic attacks on anyone

hayley3
03-07-09, 19:38
you are so right kev, my brother just to get panic attacks when he was younger and when he had one i used to think CHILL OUT MAN your only having a panic attack its not like your dying, but now its happening to me i can understand how scared he must of been and i feel terrible that i wasnt caring or understanding when they was happening to him, if only i can convince myself that they are really JUST a panic attack maybe then ill be able to get over it, thank you for your words kev, you are so right