PDA

View Full Version : On Mirtazapine now!

tom1
02-07-09, 14:01
Ok, so I'm on Mirtazapine now, previously I was on Venlafaxine at 75mg.

So far, good news, I'm feeling much, much better. I don't know if this is because I have been coming off Venlafaxine, but I just have a lot more energy and most of all my interests have started to come back again. It's hard to say whether Venlafaxine was the culprit of making me feel tired and apathetic all the time, or whether I was just depressed. Certainly though, the switch has made me feel happiest I have felt in a long time.

The other day, some of you may recall I had a down period. I suspect this was an adverse reaction to coming off Venlafaxine and going on Mirtazapine, who knows. But, in that regard I am over that little hiccup, and I am ok.

The withdrawals yes of Venlafaxine are really annoying. I am getting constant electric shocks and brain zaps (As some like to call it) from head to toe, and I have very bad dizzy spells. But, I've got through withdrawal before, (I mean heck I got through coming off Paroxetine before, need I say anymore?) so I'm sure I can do it, no wait, I KNOW I can do it. Yeah the past week or so has been really tough, but I can't let it put me down, it WILL go away.

Thumbelina
02-07-09, 15:50
i have been on mirtazipine 3,5 yers ago for 7 months.
It was good as well. Its a dgug recommended for a young aduldhood

Good luck

Vanilla Sky
02-07-09, 18:25
Mirtazipine was certainly what i needed when i had depression a few years ago, it picked me up big time Good luck with it , glad your feeling better Paige x

lonely
02-07-09, 20:43
i on venlafaxine still and promazine, just been given this mortazapine for at night times, hope i dont get taken off the venlafaxine:ohmy:

tom1
03-07-09, 16:36
Ok, I've noticed something with Mirtazapine, and I'm not sure if this is working right. Basically, for the first couple of days it would knock me out at night, which is good because I tend to get bad insomnia, however more recently it's not been working so well. I am currently taking 15mg as prescribed and I literally only sleep for 5 hrs and don't have a problem getting up, but shouldn't this be the opposite? On SSRIs sure I wasn't sleeping very well, but when I did, I slept for ages and found it difficult to get up. Whereas now I get very little sleep but don't feel tired. Hmm. Maybe the quality of sleep has changed? I don't know. I just was kinda expecting a lot worse in the sedating effect - to be fair I don't really even feel sedated at all.

tom1
04-07-09, 13:03
Anyway, the withdrawals have actually just vanished. No idea where they have gone lol. But I do feel quite angry for no reason at all today, might be a new symptom of the withdrawal replacing the zaps etc, or it could be the Mirtazapine. I've heard that it can make some people aggressive.

jo61
04-07-09, 16:50
I've been on it for 8 years. Came off it once but depression was still there. I had a nightmare getting off Effexor too.

With regard to the sedative, I have found that if I am ultra-anxoius then it doesn't have much effect. However, when I am stable it just helps with that getting off to sleep at night. Interestingly, higher doses are no more sedative. I'm on 45mg at night and doesn't knock me out any more than the lower doses did. That's a bonus in the morning when I'm not groggy.

Keep in touch and PM if you need any more help - I've been on so many medications, Mirtazapine has worked best for me. I'm also on Lithium now which is to stabilise my mood and help keep relapse at bay.

Rachel_123
04-07-09, 17:45
hey, i was on mirtazapine for 6 months and it really helped me with my anxiety. Hopefully it will do for you what it did for me :)

xox

tom1
06-07-09, 00:00
Hi all, thanks for the replies, it's nice to know other people have experiences of this med.

Ok, so I will admit I am literally shoving food in my mouth at the moment, because I am always hungry on this med, but I wasn't really eating very much on Venlafaxine so it's a good thing.

Another thing, I can't really explain, but I just feel so darn good. I just have so much energy and so many ideas about what I want to do. I want to do a hundred things at once, and feel like I can do so much. Everything seems and feels achievable and I can think more clearly. On SSRI/SNRI's I always felt like half my brain was switched off, and I felt lethargic, apathetic, and like I just couldn't be bothered with anything. Now this puts me back to what I was like before I went on SSRI/SNRI's where I have the energy to do things again, but without the anxiety and depression.

I don't really get knocked out by this med for some reason at 15mg, so in that regard it doesn't work - it did on the first 2 days though. Also I don't need much sleep either 4 hours feels enough, plus I don't feel tired.

Go me!!!

tom1
17-07-09, 02:10
Thought I'd post an update.

For a while, I have been feeling incredibly depressed and actually suicidal. I tried contacting my doc, but they were busy, and I asked the office if they could get my doc to call me. But guess what, my doc hasn't called me. I've been trying literally daily, and I am always told I will get a call back, but I Don't.

Anyway enough of that, yeah for a while after feeling good since starting Mirtazapine my mind has now been going astray into dark corners of my mind. So without permission I decided to stop taking them and I haven't been for a while now. I am actually starting to feel better now I am off those, so there you are. I was only on them for 2 weeks but the dramatic change in moods was really not good and since I've had no help I took matters into my own hand, so yeah whatever.