PDA

View Full Version : sex headaches?

justbananas
03-07-09, 04:39
ARGGGGGGG. as if i need one more thing to worry about.

anyone else get headaches post-sex or at orgasm? i decided to go and have sex in a pool this past weekend and was met with a pretty strong post-orgasm headache that came on and then hit me in waves of pain, until subsiding after 20 minutes or so. i should mention i seem prone to migraines. not a diagnosed migraine sufferer but have been having classic migraines for quite awhile now.

i looked it up via google (oops) and largely it seems to be benign and common, but i'm going to get checked out anyway to be safe. anyone else experience this ever? i'm so not happy with it. was fun otherwise tho. :shades:

justbananas
03-07-09, 04:40
oh & i should mention - i'm 27, female .. and these headaches are more common in males but .. there we go

girlrock
03-07-09, 05:15
Hi There,

I can't say that this has ever happened to me...although I have gotten light-headed after sex. But I just wanted to post to say that I DO remember reading about this several times in magazines over the years. From what I understand it IS OK. But you are doing the best thing by getting it checked out. Reassurance always makes us feel better :)

I also remember reading something somewhere about having sex to cure a migraine because of the chemicals our brain releases after orgasm. Interesting...

justbananas
03-07-09, 07:14
yes it can go both ways apparently. eek.

cassy1989
03-07-09, 11:15
Orgasm raises the blood pressure so I guess it seems right that you could get a headache after.
I would say something to the doctor though but I'm sure its nothing to worry about as I have read about it in a magazine before.

justbananas
04-07-09, 04:00
anyone else have this happen before?

CJH86
05-07-09, 12:29
I had the same thing a couple of months ago- it hapened a few times then it just went away! Scared the life out of me at the time tho!:blush:

justbananas
05-07-09, 14:38
can you describe what the pain was like? did u get it checked out?

NoPoet
05-07-09, 17:07
Once or twice in the past I would get a stabbing pain behind one eye which wore off shortly afterwards. I understand it's something to do with tension and blood pressure.

eeyorelover
05-07-09, 18:12
I get a headache after sometimes. A pressure headache at the top of my head, if that makes sense to ya.
Just think ...
must have been pretty good to cause your blood pressure to go up like that ;)
Not anything to worry about.
I read somewhere that when you climax you're heartrate jumps to around 140 a min too.
Just physiological.
Nothing to be worried about.
xxx
Sandy

CJH86
05-07-09, 19:34
Hi, it was a sharp type pain in the sides of my head (quite unpleasant!)....not really a pressure pain as such, although i felt a kinda pressure at the back of my head a bit before it moved to the sides. Lasted about 20 minutes too.

....I didnt get it checked out, of course having HA i googled then worried that it might be sinister:doh:! I decided to abstain for a couple of weeks (annoying! plus i was scared it would keep happening) then see if it returned after that - and touch wood it hasnt come back yet!

I was under a lot of stress at the time and my anxiety was bad, so i think for me it may have been part of the cause....i am also an 'ex' migrane sufferer (havent had one for 2 or 3 years) having migranes causes a predisposition to certain headaches, including sex and exertion headaches during exercise. Some theories say its due to blood vessel dilation and exertion, others say its muscular, others say its irritation of the nerves...there is no proper answer really! very rarely anything to worry about:)

justbananas
06-07-09, 04:44
ugh, thanks guys! mine was one-sided which scared me. i can't believe how common this is .. it scared the crap out of me! i am abstaining for sure right now. maybe even becoming a nun.

i swear it was the universe telling me it's BAD to sleep with your ex. bad bad bad.

anyone else want to chime in and describe their sex headaches, feel free. i mean where else can we have this conversation, REALLY?

Raceworx
06-07-09, 07:48
my brother had a case of this.. the doctor called it a thunder clap headache.. he had an orgasm once then had a really bad headache for a week! doctor said it was quite common and not to worry. its somthing to do with blood pressure..

Acable12
07-07-09, 11:46
First of all may I just say that there does not seem to be enough information about this topic. Therefore I would like to put myself forward for research and can join you in the pool by this evening lol .

tiredOfOcd
07-07-09, 12:18
justbananas

Maybe you're on to something with your thought that its the universe telling you that sleeping with your ex is a really bad idea ;-)

An ex is an ex for a reason....

The headaches are nothing. You know you've got HA and these kinds of worries crop up from time to time.

justbananas
07-07-09, 15:46
lol, yeah totally. so update:

i went to the neuro to get this checked out. i'd also been experiencing migraine with aura as well as silent migraines in addition to this sex nonsense so i wanted to discuss with the doctor. my clinical exam was normal and i told him all my history - he said it's all normal. he said he would know from my description of the post-sex headache whether it was anything to worry about, ie bleeding, and it wasn't. he said it's actually quite common to get sex headaches and they're often nothing to worry about but that it's good to get them checked out anyway. i was also diagnosed as a full classic migraine sufferer and have been instructed to obstain (for the next few weeks to months) from chocolate, diet coke, red wine, and sex. so basically stop doing everything i do. that leaves reading and water. awesome.

hehe feel better though that i went ;) thanks all