PDA

View Full Version : Kentones in urine - I'm sick and scared

dragonfly
04-07-09, 16:47
I finally caved and went to the drs yesterday after having lower right abdominal pain (all ready had appendix out) and a low fever. She suspected UTI although it doesn't feel like the ones I've had before. Urine test didn't show bacteria but some grew in the culture. She said I had ketones in my urine and I have to go back on Monday so she can check them. She said it could be becasue I hadn't eaten or drunk much but I actually had drunk 3quarts of water and I'd eaten a sandwich. Now I'm afraid that I have diabetes and I'm going to go into some dort of diabetic coma or something. My urine has always smelt kind of sweet so maybe I've had these ketones for a long time and that is bad right? Also she gave me antibiotic tablets and now my left arm hurts and I'm afraid that is a side effect or something. I hate being sick, I hate going to the drs and I hate it when they don't seem to know what is wrong with you. I'm sitting here shaking and scared - taking my temperature every 30 mins and freaking out about everything. Please help me.

cassy1989
04-07-09, 17:14
Hey Dragonfly.

Sorry to hear you're having such a bad time right now.

I just thought I would say though that if the doctor was really worried she would have suggested you got checked out at the weekend at the hospital or something. She wouldn't have just let you go if she thought there was a serious risk to you.

I'm suspecting the reason she gave you anti-b's and told you to go back on monday is cos she wants to see if the anti-b's will work and then if you still have ketones on monday she will probably want to take some blood/urine from you but you won't be able to eat for 24 hours before and those samples she takes will tell her whether or not you have diabetes.

It probably won't even come down to that, I bet on monday there won't be ketones and this will all be over.
And just remember people live without knowing they have diabetes for a long time and they are normally fine!

Have you been thirstier lately, weed more or been more tired then usual? x

dragonfly
04-07-09, 17:41
Cassy - thank you so much for answering me. I have been more a lot more tired lately but I thought it was becasue I have been extra stressed and I drink a lot of water anyway but notice that if I don't drink as much I start to not feel well. At the time I was pretty happy that she didn't sent me to the hospital but you know what happens when you go home and start worrying - I just end up thinking maybe she was too busy to think about sending me there or maybe she missed how bad my symptoms were. At least I know I only have to wait until Monday but the waiting is almost worse in a way! I'm trying to distract myself until then but its so hard when you don't feel well and your worried about not feeling well so then you feel worse - I hate the vicious cycle.

cassy1989
04-07-09, 17:47
I know it's easy for me to say but even if you have diabetes its not the end of the world and you can live life normally with it.

That saying I doubt you do have it. Your tiredness is probably just general anxiety and the need to drink alot may just be because your body is used to that anyway and the weather has got alot warmer x