PDA

View Full Version : hiv fear

med
04-07-09, 19:50
hi all ,
this is my first post on here....so please don't be too rough !!!
I am 40 years old and guess i have always been a worrier since i was a small child. I have in the past been diagnosed with depression after the death of my parents and was given cipralex for a couple of years.
I have recently split from my wife and child , guess she couldnt take the worrying anymore.
I recently kissed a lady and felt her tongue in my mouth...nothing more. A week later a friend told me that she was promiscuous and that was it !!!! as soon as I heard those words...BANG! I could see the fears racing into my head.
Now , a week on , I am utterly convinced that I have HIV. Trawled through all the sites , only focussing on the news my brain wants to 'see'. The articles about 'Small risk' and 'cases found'. I havent slept in a couples of days , can't see a way out of this and havent the energy to fight...i know people will say that there is no risk and i know i won't believe them.

bottleblond
04-07-09, 20:20
Hi Med

Welcome along to NMP!!

I'm not 100% clued up on HIV but i am pretty sure than you will definately NOT be infected by this.

If you are worried then you can call NHS 24 for some advice or chat to your GP but to be infected this way would be highly unlikely.

I hope you feel better soon!!

Lisa
x

med
04-07-09, 23:45
thanks Lisa ,

may phone nhs 24....just so scared. cant seem to shake it. just weeping at the thought....

Oceanblue
05-07-09, 00:11
hi all ,
this is my first post on here....so please don't be too rough !!!
I am 40 years old and guess i have always been a worrier since i was a small child. I have in the past been diagnosed with depression after the death of my parents and was given cipralex for a couple of years.
I have recently split from my wife and child , guess she couldnt take the worrying anymore.
I recently kissed a lady and felt her tongue in my mouth...nothing more. A week later a friend told me that she was promiscuous and that was it !!!! as soon as I heard those words...BANG! I could see the fears racing into my head.
Now , a week on , I am utterly convinced that I have HIV. Trawled through all the sites , only focussing on the news my brain wants to 'see'. The articles about 'Small risk' and 'cases found'. I havent slept in a couples of days , can't see a way out of this and havent the energy to fight...i know people will say that there is no risk and i know i won't believe them.

First of all, I wanted to say how sorry i am to hear that both of your parents have passed away. I too understand similar trauma's and it's tough to get through.

I'm sorry to sound harsh about this,.. but what exactly do you want to hear if you're not going to believe peoples replies ?

Straight evidence; HIV cannot be contracted by kissing.

The HIV virus can be spread through the exchange of bodily fluids, such as blood, semen and vaginal fluids. The most common way that HIV is spread is through sexual intercourse, including oral and anal sex.
The virus can also be spread through sharing needles, and from a pregnant woman to her unborn baby. However, due to advances in treatment, steps can be taken to help reduce the likelihood of passing the infection to the baby. These steps include the use of antiretroviral medication for the mother and her newborn baby, giving birth by Caesarean section, and avoiding breastfeeding.
You can't catch HIV from kissing, from being sneezed on by someone with HIV, from sharing baths, towels or cutlery with an HIV-infected person, from swimming in a pool or sitting on the same toilet seat that someone with HIV has sat on.

It's up to you whether to believe this or not.

I do hope,.. this can put your mind at rest. If not, please contact your gp and then he/she can explain to you.

Much love xx

Oceanblue
05-07-09, 00:15
Hey ?? You're ok. Honest !!! :hugs:

jill
05-07-09, 01:40
Hi hun :D:hugs:

:welcome: to the site.

I am soo sorry to hear about the loss of your parents and splitting up with your partner all This must have been soo hard for you, my heart goes out to you.

You have had some great advice already.

Hunny, the hardest thing when anxiety strikes is we put 2 and 2 together and come up with 5 (worse case scenario) It can be sooo dame hard to shake these fears off, are levels of anxiety are very high, in this mode are flight, fight response has kicked in, from what I know, you do not have to be in full blown panic for this mode to kick in, so we go in search for danger, hence YOU coming up with the worse case scenario.

I know when in this mode, you will find it dame hard to believe that you DO NOT have hiv, your thought pattens are sooo negative and all over the place, please hun, take time to read through this great site, YOUR NOT alone with the hiv thoughts. Read the info on the left hand side, (self help) first steps, how to cope.

There is lots of great info behind the site as well as great advice on the forums.

You are NOT alone with these types of thoughts, there are lots of nice people here who will help and support you.

Please talk to some one hun, as been sujested, GP, NHS KEEP venting on here, we are all hear to help and support as much as we can.

I know you are scared but thats how anxiety is, it can have you frightend for you life, so to speak, BUT, these thoughts are just thoughts, there is NO FACT AT ALL in your thinking, please hun, try and see this, TAKE A GOOD look around the site.

YOU TAKE CARE

LOVE JILL XXX

sotheysaid
05-07-09, 01:49
hey man,
I've had these worries before. the only thing to put your mind at ease 100% is to get tested.
I mean, I'm pretty sure you cant contract HIV by kissing someone, but if you are that concerned, a blood test is the only option.
waiting for the results can be a killer, but when you know its all clear it most certainly puts your mind at ease!

med
05-07-09, 10:58
Thankyou all for your time replying and the kindness in your answers.

well....today is a new day...i will try to take on board what you have all said , especially you katie 76 xxxx

phoned the aids helpline ....pretty good , listened and put my mind at ease to some extent. Read the first steps part......god thats me !!!
been drinking every night....last night was the first night ihadnt had a bottle of wine. I am sorry if my tone on the post was dismissive to any one....was my general mood.