PDA

View Full Version : introduction

tiredOfOcd
06-07-09, 17:10
Hi folks

I've been suffering from HA for the last 2 years. I'm already obsessive compulsive, which may have arisen as an attempt to soothe myself.

Here's what started me off 2 years ago. I had pneumonia and the dr said "we're going to take a closer look at it because it doesn't look like most pneumonia infections"

Dr. Google said lung cancer (despite the fact I've never smoked actively or passively). Lots of anxiety and a CAT scan later - it was confirmed to be pneumonia.

Then my physical therapist found a lump in my groin (I was being treated for tendonitits). Her reaction scared the daylights out of me. The dr wasn't much better "I don't know. Go see this surgeon."

Lots of reading about lymphoma later, I had it taken out and it turned out to be - "a thick patch of skin, like someone had been rubbing the spot real hard for a while"

Ooops. I guess poking and prodding your body isn't a good idea.

Then I turned 40.

Now I get scared witless by any bump that doesn't "belong"

I've sought help. My psychiatrist recommended a psychologist who helped me get a handle on this earlier this year. I'm much better.

But 4 months ago I found what I think is a cyst at the area where my chin meets my neck. I was in a good place anxiety wise, and the rule (according to a book about taking care of your health is) "most skin lumps and bumps are harmless. Mention them to your dr at your next visit. But there's no need to run right out and get it checked"

So that's what I did. Now my yearly physical is about 6 weeks away and my anxiety (that always increases before my physical) is increasing that I've done the wrong thing by waiting and I've actually got a bad problem I'VE MADE WORSE. Yesterday Dr. Google said things like "larynx cancer" and "go get lumps checked out" which has made me worry more.

Isn't this just great?