PDA

View Full Version : Anyone with hypoglycemia that can answer question?

ro44
06-07-09, 23:17
My son has been showing signs of low blood sugar off and on for the last several months. I bought a little test kit to test his sugar. Yesterday, he went to church and had coffee with sugar and 2 chocolate donuts. (bad, i know) Anyway, that was about 9:00 a.m. At 11:30 (2 1/2 hours later) he said he felt shakey and I told him to test his sugar. It was in the 50s. He ate then it went up and he felt okay. Anyway, this kind of thing has been happening off and on. Today, he went for a 3 hour glucose test. He couldn't have anything after 7:00 p.m. last night. They took blood at 9:30 this a.m. and then had him drink the glucose drink. Then they took blood again at 10:00, 10:30. 11:30 and 12:30. Then we went to a restaurant and ordered food. He felt fine but checked his sugar out of curiosity, It was in the 40s. He said, that's weird, I feel fine. Then about 5 minutes later, he got skakey hands, felt weak and had a fast pulse. The food came and he was eating as fast as he could. It took probably 15 minutes for the "spell" to pass. He finally felt better and then took it again and it was 160. He then felt perfectly fine. Well, he said that was the worst "spell" he'd ever had. Well, we went home and the nurse called and said all his test results were normal. I told her how bad he felt. She said the dr. said for him to eat regular meals and also snacks. I am just concerned that the tests were normal and seeing him feel that bad. Does anyone know about this condition? I really thought they would tell him he had a problem. Anyone familiar with this?

Ro

nomorepanic
06-07-09, 23:49
I think you need to change his diet and make sure he eats small meals all day and grazes rather than heavy meals.

But if you gave him coffee and donuts that is not a good diet.

ro44
07-07-09, 00:11
Thanks,

I know he just needs to eat healthier and cut out all the sugar. He's 19 and got the coffee and donuts at church. He's a typical teenager over here in the U.S. (where we eat bad, lol). Drinking all the dr. pepper and junk food.