PDA

View Full Version : Derealization & Depersonalization

johnboyd
07-07-09, 04:19
today I was searching the medhelp forum and I was reading about DP/DR and I saw this post

“Dont worry, it's not something life threatening, however, it isnt' very treatable because it's not that well known, most people live with it forever.”

This kind of freaked me out and made me believe that Im gonna have this feeling forever. Does anyone else feel like that? Its believed that I have anxiety. But my only symptoms that I experience every day is DP. If I have anxiety then why do I feel detached and don’t have any other symptoms all the time. I’m starting to believe what I have is not DP, mainly because I cant relate to many of people in here. A lot of people say that their DP/DR stops them from tasting and smelling things. Some people claim that fluorescent light makes it worse. Well with me its not even like that. The best way I can describe it is, lets say im typing this and looking at the monitor and I hear a sound from the back of the room and I look back to see what the noise is, when I turn back its like I just switched from looking at a picture/painting to another one. It just feels frozen. It kind of feels like my eyes are taking pictures of everything I look at. This is worse when I go outside, lets say to walk my dog. It seems to be better when im at home. Also during the day wearing a sun glass helps a lot. When I don’t have sunglasses I feel more DP. I just feel like I don’t have DP because I cant relate to anyone in here. I also trip out when im driving and i look at the other cars. Everything just feels unreal and feels like a painting or a picture. Also some people claim that they feel unreal well i dont feel unreal i just feel like everything around me in unreal...

I don’t know I just feel like I wont feel normal again. I don’t want to go on medications and im seeing a psychiatrist in a month which I know is not going to help. And im not sure if a physiologist will. Even if it does work here in Canada, insurance doesn’t cover a physiologist or a therapist.

Do you think what I have is DP/DR? Do you guys ever feel like your going to have DP/DR forever? I have been having constant DP for 8 months now and im believing I will have to live like this forever. Reading the posts like there is no cure for it, makes it even worse.

The funny thing is its believed that I got my anxiety from doing drugs and having few panic attacks after doing ecstasy and pot. My DP/DR went away after few days. But 8 months ago I woke up one day ( after being drug-free for a year) and got this panic attack for no reason. And from then I never felt normal. Man sometimes my health anxiety kicks in too and makes me think I have some other problems like neurological problems or some other form of illness. I heard somewhere that DP/DR is sometimes caused by neurological problems.

Sometimes i find my self hugging my girlfriend or having sex with her and feeling so detached that it ruins the moment and i feel like i have no emotions and i dont love her even i know i really do love her. But sometimes i just cant even get my damn thing up because i feel so detached.

Blooregard
08-07-09, 06:53
'Also during the day wearing a sun glass helps a lot. When I don’t have sunglasses I feel more DP.'

Oh gosh, I've found the same thing to be true for me! It's really weird...

And, yeah... I've heard of it going away though, a few cases.

johnboyd
08-07-09, 19:16
'Also during the day wearing a sun glass helps a lot. When I don’t have sunglasses I feel more DP.'

Oh gosh, I've found the same thing to be true for me! It's really weird...

And, yeah... I've heard of it going away though, a few cases.
that is why im getting hopeless.."few cases"

miss c brightside
08-07-09, 20:58
im sorry,what is dp standing for? im curious when i read about the sunglasses, i live in myne but i dont follow your conversation! sorry carli

johnboyd
08-07-09, 21:17
im sorry,what is dp standing for? im curious when i read about the sunglasses, i live in myne but i dont follow your conversation! sorry carli

DP= Depersonalization
DR= Derealization

http://www.anxietynomore.co.uk/depersonalisation_and_derealisation.html