PDA

View Full Version : Support from work?

mike339
08-07-09, 10:40
Was wondering if anyone else has had issues with work and their perception of you because you suffer from panic attacks/anxiety? I was recently off for a while dealing with the re-emergence of my panic attacks. When I returned to work my personnel manager said that I "have a lot to prove" and that I should think seriously about my future there. I have recently been promoted and was told my panic disorder could make signing me off as a team leader "a risk" in case I "have another episode". I honestly feel that he and the majority of management there have no understanding of what is happening. While they have to think about the business I feel that their reaction is hindering rather than helping me and I'm considering looking for a new job. I feel that people talk down to me or change their tact in case I "have an episode".

Has anyone else experienced such problems and what did they do or say to try and sort it out?

den68
08-07-09, 11:23
hi
I wrote something about work problems yesterday. I t was a bit different but i understand what you mean. 1st difference i am the manager and still have found that my staff speak down to me as if im a lunatic or something. There has to be a stress policy at work which your manager should be following. Basically your manager telling you to pull your socks up is totally unaceptable and i would go higher than her to express your opions on this if i was you. Keep a diary of any negative things your manager or collegues say to you as its dicrimination. It makes me feel bad when people like that give the impression all managers are the same. Honestly we are not. Also ask why your condition could make you a risk thats nonsence. I would ask politley or write a nice letter asking these questions. I have had enough of being treated like a lepar at work because of my illnes and when i go back on monday intend to speak to my bosses about it. Keep your chin up there are alot of ignorant people in this world but atleast your not and you dont deserve this
Denise

mike339
08-07-09, 13:29
Thanks for the reply.

I think when they call me a risk they mean a risk to the business if I'm underperforming (waste, customer service etc) but implying that to me doesn't fill me with confidence that they can help me if I do panic. No number of "the door is always open"s and "if you feel panicky take ten minutes out"s can make up for pretty much a lack of faith in me and (perhaps I'm taking it too personally) a loss of respect. I am thinking of requesting they put my team leader training on hold (an option they offered) and request reduced hours so I can concentrate on getting well and perhaps even finding something closer to home

nanny
08-07-09, 13:42
Sounds to me like your boss has not a shred of understanding or sympathy in him.
he is (in my opinion) totally out of order in what he has said to you.

den68
08-07-09, 14:04
you are not in my opion not being over sensitive. You have had a tough time and managed to get yourself back to work that takes alot of guts and strength in a person. Have a good think what is best for you over the leadership training. You feel you have lost respect but what has your manager lost by being so uncaring. I bet your collegues dont respect him now.
You are doing well just getting back to work
denise

Paul1975
16-07-09, 09:25
I'm having the exact same problems at work with panic attacks and my bosses not understanding and freezing me out because of them. They know about the panic attacks and said if I have them to take time to chill before going back to work. My job is very stressful but normally can cope with it but certain situations arise then they start. However I had a serious attack last weekend and ended up going to A&E and taking the rest of the day off. When I was in work the next day they didnt speak to me at all and this made me feel like I'd done something wrong even tough I hadnt. I'm off work this week as I had a holiday booked to relax and destress myself and its working. If it continues I will be taking action against them especially as I'm performing above and beyond expectaions and not letting the attacks slow me down no matter how worrying they are. I have a family member that is a Health & Safety officer so I can get all the H&S advice I need.

mandie
18-07-09, 10:38
Hi

I had my first pa at work last year.

I work for gp's so u think they would be sympathetic.

I got so bad that my own gp signed me off work.

While i was off my employers rang asking if i could go in and cover as they were short staffed!!

Iv had no support since iv been off. None of the staff have contacted to ask how i am and on the few times i went in to collect my wages none of them speak to me.

I believe my practice manager is responsible for alot of my panic and anxiety and i wrote a greivance letter last year to my boss.

Iv been in for several meetings but they say they just dont believe any of my allegations.

i wont go on as its to long lol but they have made it impossible for me to return there.

They made me go to occ health a few weeks ago and it is suggested that i go for mediation with the manager to see if we can resolve the situation

I have not seen him for a year and i am dreading it.

it must be on my mind cause i had my first panic attack yesterday after doing so well for the past few months.

mandie x

Meltdown
18-07-09, 13:59
Mike, your manager sounds a complete plank! I agree that you should talk to your HR dept, or someone more senior.

The last thing anyone with stress needs is to be told to "pull your socks up"!

My manager contributed to my stress/panic by taking for granted and under-valuing what I did, and then piling on too much work (I ended up trying to do the jobs of 3 people!)

However, to his credit, he has dealt with my panic very well. He has encouraged me to "get up and go for a walk" if I feel stressed, and talked to our occupational health department, who arranged CBT for me. He has now also reduced my workload back down to what it used to be.

Overall, it has helped me, and the company, as I am much improved, and have managed to get through (just!) without having to take any time off work.

Marina
19-07-09, 17:14
Hi Mike,

Your boss is out of order. I had that problem too, I had 2 women reporting me every other day to my manager for not being able to do part of my job, which involved public speaking, I had quite bad panic attacks, their argument was they could do the job and I couldnt and they got paid the same as me etc. He took me in his office and said he had to take action as it was an office consensus that I needed "sorting out". I left his office in tears and found out that he was going to report me to occupational health to see a psychologist, he even rang personnel to see what he could do about me not doing the duties in my job description.

In the end I rang my union and started counselling, my boss became more sympathetic and admitted he shouldnt have discussed me with other staff, he said there was nothing more he could do as I was proving I was trying to sort myself out and he wasnt going to put pressure on and make me worse.

The women there are still disgruntled but I have said to my manager if they put pressure on it makes me worse and will end up not being at work at all.

I must say my manager has had a complete turnaround now and has monthly meetings with me to see how I am, he says he will not put any pressure on me at all now until I feel better

I hope things get sorted for you, best wishes

Marina

mike339
19-07-09, 18:40
Hi guys,

Thanks for the words of support and other people's stories. It's a shame that people have to deal with such stuff. I think some people have misunderstood that it is in fact my HR manager who spoke to me in such a way rather than my store manager. You'd think someone in HR would be a bit more understanding!

I'm currently looking elsewhere for somewhere to work. In any kind of performance review or conversation my panic disorder is brought up. I was told to take five minutes whenever I need it but when I do I get snide comments like "Nice of you to join us!" etc. At least I don't feel like I'm inadequate at my job despite the fact I'm treated as much.

Prue89
19-07-09, 19:59
Hi, I hope you find somewhere better to work, where they treat you properly. I've been looking for work for 3 years now, and have found it completly impossible. Even the slightest mention off anxiety problems and they aren't interested in me. Hopefully one day someone will take a chance on me :)

Good Luck

Prue xx