PDA

View Full Version : Can't swallow

T89
08-07-09, 18:16
I know that there are quite a few threads going about this but my lump in the throat feeling has steadily got worse to the point where I've been living on slimfast and soup. The problem is I'm now choking every time I try to eat and sometimes when I drink-how on earth can I not swallow soup? I'm worried sick because I can't eat and it's making me miserable because I'm so hungry.I cough all the time as well now:weep:

Would I be right in thinking this is one for my doctor? Globus shouldn't stop you eating soup or shakes...the thing is I don't want to bug her (AGAIN!) so just wanted to know if this is anxiety or if I should get checked out.

Thanks.

L1SA
08-07-09, 18:33
Hi

You need to check with the GP that theres no bugs/infections going on.

If all is clear then yes it can well be an anxiety symptom

The muscles can tense around the neck/throat & chest causing this swallowing problem, i have had this symptom in anxiety.

A mouthguard/massage can help keep symptoms away :hugs:

agnes
08-07-09, 21:03
I know that there are quite a few threads going about this but my lump in the throat feeling has steadily got worse to the point where I've been living on slimfast and soup. The problem is I'm now choking every time I try to eat and sometimes when I drink-how on earth can I not swallow soup? I'm worried sick because I can't eat and it's making me miserable because I'm so hungry.I cough all the time as well now:weep:

Would I be right in thinking this is one for my doctor? Globus shouldn't stop you eating soup or shakes...the thing is I don't want to bug her (AGAIN!) so just wanted to know if this is anxiety or if I should get checked out.

Thanks.

This sounds so similar to what I've experienced on and off over the past year. I could hardly eat and I lost weight. I was hyper-anxious and all my attention was on swallowing, and trying to clear my throat. The more I focused on it, the worse it became.

Do go along and see your GP. S/he will check your throat and will offer you the reassurance you need. Mine prescribed citalopram last year and more recently advised me to up the dosage by 10 mg. Whilst medicatiojn may not be for everyone, it has proved to me that my symptoms were anxiety related because they have disappeared again since the increase.

T89
08-07-09, 23:22
Thanks for replying so quickly :) I'll go and get it checked out and then hopefully start to get back to normal again. As usual always nice to know you're not alone x

T89
05-08-09, 12:30
Bit of an update because things haven't got better at all :weep:

To top it all off my doctor insists I don't need a scope-which I don't really want anyway but my cpn says I have to make sure I get one done to rule out anything medical. Went to the doctor today and my gp is on holiday and I had to push for the scope because of my cpn. I feel like no-one has a clue what to do with me and it's so frustrating! I'm just getting passed from one to the other and my dad is totally pushing me for the scope as well but I'm dreading it. Neither doctor has even looked at my throat-just said it was all in my head.