PDA

View Full Version : Swine flu in the family

kath135
08-07-09, 18:42
If anyone is worrying about swine Flu
My neice has got swine Flu, The hospital has started her on tamiflu today, She's at home resting and other then feeling abit off she is ok. She lives in a house with 5 other people and all of them are ok and they dont even have to go to the doctors to get checked out. four of the people work full time and have all been told to continue going to work and the 5th person is at school, she has been sent home however, the school has said she can return next week.
I told my boss today about my neice, who said we cant control it so what the hell!

No one has made a fuss, including the doctors Its all been very matter of fact.
So if you are worrying about it dont, because if it happens to you or your freinds and family its business as usual and we just been given the same advice as you would do with chicken pox or measles. Hope this helps.:)

sandy35
08-07-09, 18:49
I hope your niece gets better soon. That has reassured me as i felt very drained yesterday and very rough when i got up this morning and i thought it might have been the start of swine flu. I think i jumped to that conclusion because i had heard that the children got sent home from a local school as somene contracted swine flu and felt very panicky and anxious after hearing that so may explain why i felt so rough as the symptoms were probably all to do with anxiety for thinking about contracting it too much. I knew i would be like this once i heard about a case that is local to me.

Meewah
09-07-09, 22:21
Thanks Kath

That has made me feel a lot better. I just wonder, how do they know its swine flu without blood tests. I was told they have stopped taking bloods for swine flu and that a doctor just checks your symptoms and if you have a fever etc they treat you for swine flu. In my eyes it could just be seasonal flu.

My main worry is the list of vunerable people. My eldest son gets Virus induced asthma. He was given steroids about a month ago for his breathing, this makes him one of the people on the high risk list.

Now that scares me. I just want to get my family and go to the outer hebredes for 12 months until it all goes away.

Mee

Raceworx
10-07-09, 10:03
meewah.. you son is more at risk contracting normal influenza.. my sister works an an OT and there hospital has just had an outbreak 2 confirmed cases via blood tests in very old people.. and there making a great recovery..

she has bad astma and is currently on steroids for a chest infection because of hay fever.. and she has been fine. if you just wash your hands abit more and dont drink from containers that have been in the open then you will be fine!

the meida have blown this way out of prportion as usual!

phil06
10-07-09, 12:33
I'm really worried about this at the moment..as I suffer bad anxiety it's started to suffer as one of these "lingering" thoughts at the back of my head..you hear about the deaths and how it can spread so it's worrying.

And it could get worse..:blush:

yorkylover
10-07-09, 13:01
I work at a surgery and they have had lots of cases this week.The flu symptoms are very mild.There concern is people over 65,children and pregnant women,and people with other medical problem's.

The paper's and tv have made thing's sound alot worse than they are,and for us anxiety suffer's that's a nightmare.:ohmy:

If we are going to get then we will.

bluesparkle
10-07-09, 14:05
my sister has it... !
and yes like the others say it is not bad... she has to stay at home for 5 days... but the symptoms are not bad at all...well no worse than normal flu.
i hate it when the papers and news make such a big thing of it...i know the public need to be aware of it and of coarse especially the vulnerable...but if people with it are sensible and keep away from others hopefully all this will pass soon.
please try not to worry(easy to say i know)...try to concentrate on something else and i know its hard as it is all over papers and tv but if it makes you scared try not to listen to it or read about it...
rach
x

sandy35
10-07-09, 14:13
my sister has it... !
and yes like the others say it is not bad... she has to stay at home for 5 days... but the symptoms are not bad at all...well no worse than normal flu.
i hate it when the papers and news make such a big thing of it...i know the public need to be aware of it and of coarse especially the vulnerable...but if people with it are sensible and keep away from others hopefully all this will pass soon.
please try not to worry(easy to say i know)...try to concentrate on something else and i know its hard as it is all over papers and tv but if it makes you scared try not to listen to it or read about it...
rach
x
Unfortunately i heard that someone contracted swine flu at a local school through facebook and I found out that it was the school down the road from me so was a little bit frightened at first but i am ok now as this thread has put my mind at rest. Hope your sister gets better soon x

phil06
10-07-09, 15:21
My worry is the symptoms are worse or deadly come the autumn.

phil06
11-07-09, 00:30
I'm really worried after seeing the news a normal person with no under lying health problems has died in the UK.

valleybear
11-07-09, 12:54
When did you hear that phil? They are usually pretty cagey about underlying health probs ( to protect the patient/family ) and one wonders if this was really a healthy, active patient?? Just wondering lol.

t0rt01se36
11-07-09, 13:24
My Aunt has been diagnosed with having Swine Flu. She's had the symptoms for atleast a week now and I'm pleased to say that she's feeling a bit better now. Her husband has shown no symptoms but has been told to stay off work. He works in a School.

My Aunt was very achey and had bad headache.

When I found out I was preparing to go to a Party. I felt yucky with anxiety and luckily even though I stll felt anxious, I turned up at the Party late.

Now I feel nervous about going out.

sb001f8994
11-07-09, 13:30
Hi,
Just thought Id let you know my cousin has swine flu and they think his baby has it too, hes only four months old. His children have been told to go to school as normal and his wife is living normally, shopping, visiting friends etc. No restrictions have been made on them.
Fingers crossed all will be well for them but even their doctor doesnt seem unduley concerned.
Take care,
Carol

valleybear
11-07-09, 13:46
Oh...seen the report on the news now about the newest death. Looks like it was right enough that the patient had no underlying illness, but that was just one case where the virus affected the patient severely. I was in one of the hottest spots in the country for the disease last week and people were very calm and going about their business as usual. It was being reported that all those who had contracted it were recovering well and some only ill for a couple of days. We should just take sensible precautions and try not to overthink the situation...may have a vaccine soon anyway. XX

Frenchflower
11-07-09, 20:37
Thank God for the No More Panic website! I've been having a hard time of it anxiety-wise lately and worrying about swine flu, but this place always helps put me at ease :) I'm still worried, but this thread has helped to calm me down and put things in perspective a bit more. I'm trying not to overthink and keep telling myself the media blows things out of proportion!

NoPoet
11-07-09, 23:37
Hi, one person might have died of swine flu, and of course that's a tragedy; I regret every human life that is lost. But what you have got to understand is, people do die of illnesses. This latest swine flu death is not a harbinger of disaster. It is simply what happens in life. What is a mild illness in 999,999 people will be deadly to 1 person. ONE person. Not a million, not a thousand, not even ten. ONE person.

If 1 in every 10 people who got swine flu died then I would be scared. What are the present stats? One out of every 100,000? And of every 1,000 people who die, 995 have complications, and 5 die purely of swine flu... I am not good at maths, but doesn't that mean only one person in 100,000,000 who contract swine flu is likely to die purely of swine flu with no other complications?

Meewah
12-07-09, 04:04
meewah.. you son is more at risk contracting normal influenza.. my sister works an an OT and there hospital has just had an outbreak 2 confirmed cases via blood tests in very old people.. and there making a great recovery..

she has bad astma and is currently on steroids for a chest infection because of hay fever.. and she has been fine. if you just wash your hands abit more and dont drink from containers that have been in the open then you will be fine!

the meida have blown this way out of prportion as usual!

Thanx Raceworx

I just really worry for my family. It scares the hell out of me even thinking about losing someone else. I keep having really scary dreams about my kids getting hurt in different situations. Not the usual where going to be ill thoughts, we are going to die thoughts. It keeps me awake at night as you can tell by this post.

Anyhow Thanks again for the support.

Mee

Wee-Mee
12-07-09, 14:48
I worry about this as with everything else!

I have asthma,my mother diabetes and my father has asthma and emphysema along with stomach troubles and I worry more so actually of my mother or father getting it cos the media always seem to say the people that die had "underlying medical conditions" :weep:

Annabelle
12-07-09, 15:08
sandy1974 - reading your post i thought you meant they caught it through facebook! thats taking social networking to a whole new level! xx

spaced
12-07-09, 18:12
A girl in my street has just had swine flu comfirmed so neighbours are in a bit of a panic I'm not going to get myself worried about it as I've also told the neighbours not to worry.
I would like to wish all those effected by swine flu and their relatives a speedy recovery.

angietomjimandcass
12-07-09, 21:53
Its in our town now, im scared.

phil06
13-07-09, 22:13
I seen on the news it's spreading fast in areas and people getting ill quick so it worries me..it's my biggest health worry right now.

I guess it could be hyped but there's no sign of it improving just getting worse...I hope it doesn't get so bad I don't want to go out.

eeyorelover
14-07-09, 00:29
Just because there has been a spread of the flu doesn't mean that the severity of it has gotten any worse.
It is still rather benign in people who do not have underlying health complications.

I have a better chance of going out tomorrow and getting hit by a car than I do of dying from H1N1!