PDA

View Full Version : CBT

tracyp584
13-09-05, 20:37
Hey Guys,

I have been having cbt for the last 3 weeks now, and next week I face my hardest challenge... exposure! I have bad panic which has lead to agoraphobia and the thought of this seems hard. My therapist has said I am being challenged not threatened, but its hard to think of it like that!

Anyway, i am working REALLY hard on challenging my irrational beliefs, but find that i believe it all up top, but my body doesnt seem to believe what i am saying. I don't know if any of this makes sense, but just wondered how others have challenged irrational thinking.
Sorry to ramble, but my hubby away and wanted to get it out!

tracy x x

vernon
13-09-05, 21:01
hi Tracy. what you are feeling is normal for us. I have the same and realy bad when I have to face anything different. Its the waiting thats worst than the vent you will find and you will feel so much better when this is done. Take care, Vernon

Meg
13-09-05, 22:11
Hi Tracy,

Maxine's cbt progress. (http://www.nomorepanic.co.uk/showthread.php?t=2308)

worried to get better!?!? (http://www.nomorepanic.co.uk/showthread.php?t=3419)
home truths (http://www.nomorepanic.co.uk/showthread.php?t=2398)

Strategies for coping (http://www.nomorepanic.co.uk/showthread.php?t=2680)
Some of my symptoms and explinations. (http://www.nomorepanic.co.uk/showthread.php?t=4495)
very strange panic attack symptoms (http://www.nomorepanic.co.uk/showthread.php?t=5071)

Meg
www.anxietymanagementltd.com

Your anxiety is the human representation of the pictures that you paint using your many vivid colours of revolving and reoccurring thoughts.
How big is your gallery ?

Karen
14-09-05, 06:57
Hi Tracy

I know exactly what you mean about rationally knowing there is no danger and nothing to fear and yet still experiencing the anxiety and panic. I feel this way about eating and challenging my anorexia.

With the support of your therapist you will be able to overcome this hurdle. The first step is often the hardest.

We are here for you.

Karen

It is not easy to find happiness in ourselves, and it is not possible to find it elsewhere.

tracyp584
14-09-05, 11:42
Thanks everyone,

I really hope it all goes ok, I have just told my close friends to pick me up when i say certain negative sentences like 'I can't, I'm stupid, useless etc', so maybe this will break the cycle quicker too??!!

Tuesday is the big day though, when I have to take my therapist to Sainsburys! AAAHHHH!!

tracy x x

nomorepanic
14-09-05, 15:18
Tracy

I know it is hard cos they made me do stuff like go on a bus and left me to do it all alone. I was terrified lol.

I hope it goes ok on Tuesday. We look forward to your reply and telling us what happened. I am sure it will be great cos she will be there to support you and help you if you get panicky. Good luck.

Unfortunately unless you push the boundaries you will never do these things so it is great that you are.

Nicola

"Nearly all happiness comes into our lives through doors we don't even remember leaving open"

tammyg
14-09-05, 20:52
Hi Tracy,

good luck with it, you are deifinately doing the right thing.

Asking your friends to tell you when you say these things is a great idea. I have just started a diary for this reason (which I write in just before bed) and am often surprised at some of the things I read the following morning.

All those negative thoughts just feed our worry!

Tam x

tracyp584
17-09-05, 15:53
Wow Nigel!

I am very impressed with that post, have just been rereading over and over, and its havin the same effect as the hypnotherapist!!

Funny enough, thats exactly what my therapist has told me to do before tuesday, so there must be something in it!

I will let you all know what happens Tuesday!

I hope all your confidence, rubs off on to me!!

tracy x x

seh1980
17-09-05, 20:53
Good luck with it Tracy!! :D

"If life were simple, word would have got around"

tracyp584
19-09-05, 19:54
Hi!

I know i need to stop worrying/thinking about it, BUT cannot stop getting myself into a tizz about tomorrows exposure. I am obviously thinking of all the negative things, but it is really putting me off.

I think the fact that i have to go and attempt sainsburys with someone that is a relatively new to me, is making me feel very on edge. I really want to overcome this, but I question myself how mentally ready i am.?

Half of me wants to cancel this as I am such a wuss, and the other half of me is getting upset at myself!

Any suggestions?

tracy x x

henri
19-09-05, 20:08
hey tracy,
please please don't cancel! it is going to be hard but you can do it. what nigel described in his post is pretty much what my cbt therapist told me to do before my initial exposure challenges. if you are good at visualisation (which, sadly, i'm not) then it should really work.
i know you are so freaked out and worried about tomorrow - it's such a horrible feeling. and i know what you mean about knowing rationally that everything is fine, but not being able to physically accept it. i have a set of cards and at the top of each card i've written a negative statement that i'm in the habit of thinking about ('i'm rubbish at my job', 'no-one really likes me', 'i'm a total failure'.) then underneath i've written a whole list of reasons why the statement is a load of rubbish. whenever i'm feeling one of the negative statements i look at the relevant card.
anyway, this is just one of many ways you can challenge irrational thoughts - hope it helps!
good luck tomorrow, let us know how it goes,
henri x

tracyp584
19-09-05, 20:14
Thanks Henri,

I also am not that great at visualisation, I have tried but all the negative things keep creeping into it, and then it spiralls!

I know deep down I need to get on and deal with it. Roll on tomorrow at 11, when it will all be over!!

Thanks again, and will let you all know how it goes.

tracy x x

tracyp584
20-09-05, 11:13
Hey Everyone,

Just to update, I have just finished my cbt, and although we didn't push it to Sainsbury's, we did go round 3 roundabouts and over the bridge, and then round the big one way system................................... 5 TIMES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!.

Which to be honest was probably higher on my challenge list than Sainsbury's!!

So, I have now got two weeks to keep it going, until we try the next tasks.

I am so happy, its unreal!! I am now going to have practice accepting the uncomfortable sensations, and realise that hey, just because my legs feel like jelly - SO WHAT!, I can cope with it!!

tracy x x

Meg
20-09-05, 13:43
Thats excellent Tracey - keep it going these next 2 weeks

Meg

Your anxiety is the human representation of the pictures that you paint using your many vivid colours of revolving and reoccurring thoughts.

tracyp584
21-09-05, 15:51
Hi!

Only me again, just had to blow my own trumpet!:D.

I have just been in Sainsburys (with a friend), queued up and BOUGHT something!![Wow!].

Just had to share!! [:I]

tracy x x

Karen
21-09-05, 15:55
Excellent Tracy! Well done!

Karen

It is not easy to find happiness in ourselves, and it is not possible to find it elsewhere.

Meg
21-09-05, 16:33
Fantastic news Tracey

You're doing so well

Meg

Wannabeloved85
11-10-05, 18:53
Hey, bit of a late addition, but my god!
I was anxious for u tracy lol and proberbly for myself. see, im beig refered to a cpn for cbt as im totally housebound and my nannans sister also had this, she told me her cpn used to take her in the car to places, i thought 'no cant be right!' my picture of cbt would be steady little walks further and further each time.
But now im actually anxious thinking bout it!
But i am soooo pleased you did it!
Well done!
Becci x x x

rhowes2000
11-10-05, 20:15
Well done Tracey, nice to see some progress!

wannabeloved85 - good luck with your cbt hope it manages to get you out and about.

tracyp584
12-10-05, 17:08
Hey Becci,

It is scary, but my word, it will be the best thing you've ever done - in terms of helping yourself. It is hard, and it is facing up to your fears, but with the help of a therapist you can get there.

I hope yours comes through soon, let me know when, and i'll be ready with lots of positive vibes!!

tracy x x

Every time you avoid your fears they become stronger,every time you face your fears they become weaker.

Meg
12-10-05, 17:18
Becci

*im totally housebound *

Really ?? I thought we had a post that you went out for a walk the other day.

Meg

Wannabeloved85
13-10-05, 22:36
i did go for a walk yes, does that mean i can remove the tag, totally? lol

tracyp584
14-10-05, 16:59
Howdy,

I've been for a drive today to Asda's today! Didn't go RIGHT in, but went to the front to the halloween costumes, and then managed Matalan (well the bit near the door!!). I am starting to feel confidence returning, but this is when i am with people. I still havent done anything totally ALONE yet, but thats next on the to do list?!! (scared!!)

tracy x x

Every time you avoid your fears they become stronger,every time you face your fears they become weaker.

Wannabeloved85
14-10-05, 20:20
tracy,
im happy for you! can i ask how long uve been agoraphobic? and were u housebound?
becci x x x

Meg
14-10-05, 22:59
Well done Tracy

Another great session and a motivated and sucessful you.

Brilliant

Meg

Karen
15-10-05, 06:14
Excellent progress Tracy.

Karen

tracyp584
15-10-05, 11:34
Thanks everyone!

Becci - I have been agoraphobic for just over a year, but not really housebound. I have been able to get out to friends houses (those that live nearby), and have had days where i feel housebound, and then other days where i feel a bit more relaxed.

It is really amazing how CBT has turned me around in a relatively short space of time. I would definately recommend it to everyone!

tracy x x

Wannabeloved85
16-10-05, 20:44
thanks tracy,
My problem is actually doing it!! i know im not in harm etc put i cant seemn to push myself to my sister, was offered to go round again today, its so easy to say no! but guilty too :(
I made a n resolution though, do one big challenge atleast once a week. and carry onb woith my self cbt.
Thanks and well done!!
Becci x x x