PDA

View Full Version : Dangerous sports...

Matt
08-01-04, 22:58
I really really really dont understand myself!! lol

Why do I worry about going on a train when I dont feel funny at all if I'm abseiling or climbing up a climbing wall?

Meg
08-01-04, 23:01
Matt,

Because you're in total control with the ones you choose to do. If you could drive the train you'd be fine.

Meg

Matt
08-01-04, 23:04
Yeah thats what I thought... mmm I wonder how much you can buy a train for?:D

Whats the best way to ease meself into someone elses control then? I've started by letting other people drive places etc and am 99.9% comfortable with that. Should I just go for it and do stuff and see how I cope?

kate
08-01-04, 23:40
Matt,

My hubby is a train driver. Shall I ask him if you can borrow one?????

Kate x

Meg
08-01-04, 23:51
Take one fear and go at it gently , with small steps until it's comfortable. Then take the next one.

The secret is time and repetition without incident .

If you have trouble thinking of small steps for any of them - post and we'll help - maybe creatively

Good luck

Meg

Watch your thoughts, they become your words...
Watch your words, they become your actions... Watch your actions, they become your habits... Watch your habits, they become your character... Watch your character, it becomes your destiny...

Matt
08-01-04, 23:54
Ello again kate;)

Yeah find out if I can borrow one for a week or so hehe

Matt
09-01-04, 00:16
Well if anyones got any ideas then feel free to post!!:)

I know about the getting on the train and doing one stop then two etc etc and doing it every week but it gets a bit expensive just for a test when the nearest station is 20 miles away and then its 5 quid return to the next stop!:o We are talking a serious amount of time and cash and I have very limited free time due to work:(

Any suggestions?

nomorepanic
09-01-04, 00:36
Matt

You know me and trains - no go!! You are braver than me to go on one. I need to know that I get off after 5 mins if I need to.

One day-maybe .....

Nicola

nomorepanic
09-01-04, 00:38
Oh and one more thing. I said to Alex the other day that I think if I flew the plane I would be ok. I dont mean a 737 or bigger, I mean a light-aircraft. But dare I try it - ummmmmmmmmmmmmm no!!

Lol

Nicola

Matt
09-01-04, 00:42
yeah I like to know there is quite a small gap between stops as a safety net... lol Hey perhaps we could go halfs on the hire from kates blokey! heheh

funny you should say that about planes nic;) the local airfield is closer than a train station!! I have enquired about the price of a 1 hour lesson hehe I mean how hard can it be??? heheh

Laurie28
09-01-04, 12:03
Hiya Matt,

I have to agree with meg on this one. Keep on doing it and it will get easier. It's when you start to avoid doing things they become a very BIG problem

Lucky

Matt
09-01-04, 19:59
Yeah I've been though the cycle a bit lucky... from virtuallly not being able to go out to doing pretty much everything I need and want to do! Avoidance is deffo a no no

Its just these last few things train plane etc that I'm having a problem with and I have no real need to use either! I'm not avoiding them as such other than not getting round to setting up a test for myself I suppose...

nomorepanic
10-01-04, 15:07
Matt

Have you flown before or will this be the first time?

Nicola

Matt
10-01-04, 16:30
Never been up close to a plane let alone got in one!:o I'm still tempted by a lesson in flying a lil 2 seater jobster...

Matt

nomorepanic
10-01-04, 17:44
Matt

You could try the flying with confidence course - I did that to get me back on a plane after 5 years of not flying.

Nicola

Matt
10-01-04, 17:50
I've looked at those nic! I dunno I just feel like I'm less likely to get wierd if I an see the dude controlling the plane or actually controll it myself!

How many people are there on one of those courses?? are there eneough people on here that would like to do it?? Maybe we could take over a course or something...

Just an idea!!

Matt

nomorepanic
10-01-04, 19:07
Matt

I get it cheap cos I work for an airline. It costs about £150 I think!

There are more helpers than pancikers so you will be ok - oh and a doctor too!

Something to think about anyway!

Nicola

bananarbabe
10-01-04, 19:52
I have a fear of flying too. Although I would rather not get on the airplane, I force myself to because of the fact that I'll get to enjoy my trip a little more and see my family. I just flew yesterday and made it (with the help of medication). Do any of you have some suggestions for fear of flying resources?

Thanks,

Chris

Matt
10-01-04, 19:58
Something I'm looking into at the mo Chris.. The one nic was on about sounds good! I personally dont want something telling me how it stays up in the air etc as I know already!! Its the bein lockin in bit I'm more frightened of!:D

Do you know if there are any web links to your one nic?

nomorepanic
10-01-04, 20:53
There are links on my site - look at this page

http://www.nomorepanic.co.uk/aviophobia.htm

Nicola

Matt
10-01-04, 20:55
oops [:I] should have checked there![:0]

nomorepanic
10-01-04, 22:18
No-one ever looks on the site Matt so you are not the only one - lol

Nicola