PDA

View Full Version : I've just lost a tooth....& the dentist is my enemy!

Butterfly09
10-07-09, 09:00
Hi!
Really don't know what to do. I haven't been to the dentist for years apart from ages ago when a filling came out & I had to see one because I was in agony. He put a temporary one in & said I must get root canal asap. Never went back. Now it has fallen out & I have 3/4 of a tooth and a massive hole in mouth. The mere thought of seeing a dentist fills me with dread I don't think I'm even going to be able to walk in the surgery without passing out. Part of me thinks that as the tooth is out of sight maybe I should just leave it but I know that's the worst thing to do. I'm suffering with anxiety anyway & this tooth is the last thing I need. I know it sounds so trivial but I'm terrified. Any one else scared of the dentist??

P.S I'm also scared of stairs but I'll save that for another day. OMG! Imagine a dentist on the 3rd floor!!

Dee01
10-07-09, 10:33
Go to the dentist. The longer you leave it, the worse the pain will be and the more work you will have to get done.
I didn't go to the dentist for 8 years. I kept putting it off and off and off. I eventually went because I was in so much pain. I had to get 3 root canal's 6 fillings and 2 crowns. The dentist said if I had kept my appontments, none of the root canals or crowns would have had to be done. The fillings would have been so much smaller too.
I go every year now. It's an ordeal and I panic about it for weeks before the appt is due, but its usually over in a half hour now - much less traumatic!! Pick a dentist with no stairs to lessen the ardeal. lol xxxx

nomorepanic
10-07-09, 10:35
Have a read of the Dental phobia page on the left that may help with some ideas.

doodah
10-07-09, 12:37
Sorry to hear about your tooth:wacko: I do know how you feel. I too had a fear of the dentist (and mine was on the 3rd floor believe it or not!!). The way I got around it was when I saw a new dentist some years ago. I was able to tell him how petrified I was and he suggested they give me something that gets rid of your short term memory - you're still awake so to speak, but you don't have a clue what's going on - actually, that sounds a bit like me WITHOUT tablets lol! Anyway, I had to have tons of dental work done and apparently I was chatting and laughing throughout!

I hope you find a way to get yourself some treatment - the Dental Phobia links should help too.

Take care and will be thinking of you!

Wendy xxxx

moore
12-07-09, 00:38
I'm not actually scared of the dentist, I'm mostly just scared of the injections, with a hint of being scared of what they'll find wrong with me (although tbh, with 20+ fillings, one crown, 2 root canals...theres not much left TO find lol..)

One thing I've learned is dont miss the dentist. If I go to the dentist every 6 months, I need the odd filling here and there. If I miss 2 years, I need a crown or a root canal lol. Dont ask me how that works, but it does.

I have a lot of my treatment nowadays without anaesthetic, including some pretty deep fillings. Sure, it hurts, but keeping it in perspective, it's only a short brief moment of tooth pain.

Trust me on this one - you need to see the dentist about that tooth pronto. By the sounds of it, its nerve is probably dead, and it wont hurt much anyway. If you dont go see the dentist then you're risking an abscess. Don't risk an abscess, they are unpleasant little things that eat into your jaw bone. If you're quick enough about getting to a dentist, he might be able to save the tooth. They can do a LOT to save teeth these days.

Contrary to popular belief, root canals do not hurt. I have had 2, neither hurt at all. Why would they hurt? The root's nerve is dead or dying! I almost fell asleep during the first root canal. Boring, yes. Painful, no.

Tell the dentist you have anxiety and fear. Find a dentist you feel comfortable with. I've been to many dentists, some have caused me more fear than others. My latest one I'm totally comfortable with. Remember that in the UK you dont have to see a dentist in your own town, and you can be registered with more than one.

Butterfly09
12-07-09, 19:32
Hi guys!
Thank you for your advice sooo much. I''ve gone from a state of mad panic to now going through the Yellow Pages with the mind to getting an appointment this week. To be on the safe side I'm going to pick a dentist that offers sedation just in case. I'm trying to keep my mind focused on the new smile rather than the process of getting it & it may sound weird but while I'm dreading it I'm looking forward to the outcome at the same time.

Thanks again for all your advice, it really has helped. xx
P.S I will let you know how I get on & whether the dentist is still my enemy after all!!
P.P.S Moore, my tooth feels numb so by saying the root is dead & I won't feel much you've really made me think it won't be as bad as I was blowing it up to be. Thank you. x