PDA

View Full Version : Went for my smear yesterday and wished I hadnt been given a leaflet......

jellybean43
10-07-09, 12:48
Hi
I have suffered HA since late 2007 however the past few months I have felt relatively normal again---thanks to CBT which has had a huge part in my recovery.(obviously not fully recovered though as if i was i wouldnt be freaking out today!!!!)
I went yesterday for my smear----it was due in March but it took til I got the second letter last month for me to book it!!!! Thankfully I have always been ok but for some reason yesterday I was totally freaking about going.(I think cos back in 2006 I hadnt really suffered HA ----although i have always had GAD to some degree!!!).:ohmy: The nurse was lovely and at the end she went through the leaflet which they give you.
Cos my fear has always been my glands and lymphoma(as some of you may remember) there is a mention in the leaflet of border line glandular:ohmy: -------so as soon as I got home i looked it up on the nhs website and it says that in very rare cases they can detect something wrong with your glands and that could be indicative that it has spread to other organs!!!!! OMG I have nearly freaked out!!!!! I had really put the "gland" worry to rest but something as small as this triggers it off!!! I told OH today who just smiled and said "what ARE you talking about" and then goes on his merry way LOL!!!!! I am now panicking every time the phone rings in case it is the drs with bad news.
Please can someone tell me to stop this. I need to nip this in the bud before i drive myself loony again!!!!
Thanks everyone xxx

june
10-07-09, 14:33
:hugs: :hugs: Reading that leaflet is like reading the 'side effects' of new meds..... we should not read these things:blush: BUT what is the first thing we look for????? yup! problems:weep:
There is NO easy answer because unless it is the Doc saying you are OK you will not believe:ohmy: I know because I am the same.
It is all the "if's" "ands" and "buts" that are the problem.
A friend of mine had a smear test and she felt Ok and the nurse said "that was really good, you relaxed really well and we were able to"" - and started to describe the procedure - my friend fainted and scared the wits out of the nurse. The first hint of anything medical she freaks.
All I can say is I hope you get good news very soon.
Best wishes
June
:hugs:

anxious
11-07-09, 00:21
Hi Jelly,

good on you for going for your smear :) but STOP those thoughts now. No excuses, no what ifs just Stop. I know where you live and i'll come round and give you a good slap:D

love anx xx

drchic
11-07-09, 02:17
Try not to freak about the leaflet... like the previous poster said, it's just a list of side effects, to protect the manufacturer of the medication. If one person out of a million gains a pound, they have to list weight gain as a possible side effect... if one person has a seizure, they have to list it as a possible side effect. It's just a liability thing...

Take care of yourself,
drchic

june
11-07-09, 11:32
Try not to freak about the leaflet... like the previous poster said, it's just a list of side effects, to protect the manufacturer of the medication. If one person out of a million gains a pound, they have to list weight gain as a possible side effect... if one person has a seizure, they have to list it as a possible side effect. It's just a liability thing...

Take care of yourself,
drchic
I have hi -lited and underlined this part of drchic's post because I think it is sooo important for us to be reminded that even the smallest risk ((it could be 1 in a million )) has to be noted.............Unfortunately that is usualy the ONLY bit WE notice.
Hence our fears and panics.:blush:
best wishes
June

drchic
01-08-09, 18:24
I have hi -lited and underlined this part of drchic's post because I think it is sooo important for us to be reminded that even the smallest risk ((it could be 1 in a million )) has to be noted.............Unfortunately that is usualy the ONLY bit WE notice.
Hence our fears and panics.:blush:
best wishes
June

Yep! I agree. That's why if one person (and it could be one of US!) has a side effect, they have to list it! I try not to fixate on the "list" because of this. This doesn't mean that if we are the ONE that experience that rare side effect that it's not a problem!!