PDA

View Full Version : Best Meds for Anxiety

MikeyT
14-09-05, 09:36
After my couple of posts over the last few weeks, my anxiety has decreased to some degree.
This has been helped by formulating a financial plan to get back on track etc and talking to a friend who also suffers.
He works with people who have been drug or alcolhol dependant and one of the withdrawl symptons is anxiety, so he can put his experiences to use to help others.
I went to talk to him about going to see my GP about using prescribed medication for a short time, which he though may be an idea to break the cycle.
But I don't want Betas, or tranqs, so probably a anti-depressant, that works well for anxiety.
Any thoughts on this anyone.
Mick

vernon
14-09-05, 09:54
I didn’t really want to take any meds as I took lots years ago and lots of tranx too. But after giving up drink after 40 years of heavy daily drinking my anxiety became so unbearable. I suffered anxiety/ phobias most of my life but this was so horrible. After asking around and gathering information. I decided to ask doctor for Cipralex antidepressant. I read this drug was quite good for anxiety where lots of others are more for depression. I started taking these about 5 months ago and feel much better now. But don’t know if it’s the meds that are making me feel better or has the anxiety just lessoned because I stopped drink. I still suffer anxiety but much less than for at least 12 months after I gave up drink. I know a few on here who have had had Cipralex for anxiety and said same as me they did feel much better. But at the end of the day it’s your decision and hope whatever you chose you feel better soon. Take care. Vernon

AK47
14-09-05, 11:54
I have found Citalopram (which I think is the same as Cipralex) to be the only medication which has helped my anxiety, besides diazepan which I only use when the panic is beyond my coping limits. I also find that alcohol intensifies my anxiety, particularly during the hangover. Thus I plan to quit drinking but I have to say that it is difficult because I'm a student and there is a constant pressure to drink because it seems to be the 'normal' way to socialize these days, particularly in student life. However I'm going to give it my determined efforts anyway.
I wouldn't recommend beta-blockers, they made me feel like crap.

Check to see that nobody is escaping
To Desolation Row.
(Bob Dylan)

~AK47~

seh1980
14-09-05, 12:44
In one word: Cipralex :D

"Life is too important to take seriously" Corky Siegal

trac67
14-09-05, 13:10
Hi Mikey,
I take citalopram, and they turned me around, my panic attacks completely went, i used to take 20mg, but now take just 10mg a day, to keep me 'bobbing along' lol. Its worth a try.
Take care
Trac xx

its "just a thought"

nomorepanic
14-09-05, 13:45
Just to add my thoughts on this ...

Prozac doesn't tend to help the anxiety - it is better at treating the depression so that one is probably not a good one for you to have.

Nicola

"Nearly all happiness comes into our lives through doors we don't even remember leaving open"

Sue K with 5
15-09-05, 00:26
it's always best to talk to your Gp about your symptoms and she can then give you an idea of the options that you can have with medication. I take cipramil and have been on it now for three years, I cant say it has been that effective for me because my anxiety levels get quite high and the agoraphobia is hard to deal with without the beta blockers, but I would never say never with medication and it can be used to just get your over the initial symptoms to help eliviate them for you.

Write your feelings down and take them with you to the GP she will know the answer

Take care for now and well done for not drinking! you should be proud of yourself! thats a huge step for anyone

Sue with 5

scknight

ljp3010
15-09-05, 17:02
Hi
I've been on Citalopram since November 04 now and it has been one of the best things I've done. It took my GP a while to convince me because I didn't want to admit that I needed antidepressants. But I did it and whilst I still get anxious from time to time and am trying to overcome my agoraphobia they have definitely helped take the edge off things.

I've also tried Beta Blockers but they left my head feeling really 'foggy' all the time and didn't really help me.

A word of warning though, it might not be the case for everyone but for the first two weeks the citalopram left me feeling worse and really anxious but it is definitely worth sticking at it.

Good Luck

xLaurax

nauseax
15-09-05, 22:21
i take Lorzepam/ Mylan. its great to take at night. it really helps me slee. love that stuff...

LisaD
17-09-05, 16:01
Hi Mikey,

Citalopram was a god-send for me, and worked wonders!! Will have to agree with a previous post that the first 2 weeks were rough, but well worth riding out!!!

Lisa

~Life shrinks or expands in proportion to one's courage~ Anais Nin

Antipodes
20-09-05, 08:37
Hi Mikey,

I'd have to add one more - Moclobemide also known as Aurorix. I was on Citalopram a few years ago. I found it okay but it gave me very tense muscles as a side effect and I had to stop using it. The moclobemide (offered much later) completely overcame my anxiety. It didn't do anything for mood though (I'm a PTSD-er). I found I could do things I was otherwise totally unable to do (like make a telephone call). I think it is great for anxiety and worth a look if Citalopram doesn't work for you. Hey, I don't even know if Moclobemide is available in UK (it isn't in the USA) but is in Canada. Odd really.

Good luck on your journey to wellness.

Antipodes

Meg
20-09-05, 13:35
Yes it is available in the UK.

Its a reversible MAOI class of antidepressant not often used now due to all the dietary restrictions and potential interactions with other meds - but still has its place.

Meg
www.anxietymanagementltd.com

Your anxiety is the human representation of the pictures that you paint using your many vivid colours of revolving and reoccurring thoughts.
How big is your gallery ?

Antipodes
22-09-05, 13:09
There are no dietary restrictions for this med (according to New Ethicals) If the dose is more than 900 or 1200mg/day there may be some sensitivity. This class of drug is ordinarily famous for dietary restrictions (mostly aged and fermented foods/drinks) but Moclobemide seems to be free of that lable. Also, it is great for males as it has none of the side effects such as what fluoxetine does :- ) also no weight gain.

It was really brilliant for anxiety for me. I just wished it had domne something for mood too.

Antipodes