PDA

View Full Version : alcahol & propranolol ?

willz88
10-07-09, 17:25
hey i started taking 40mg propranolo today i had 1 at 8am not had 1 since im supposed to have 2 a day 1 morn n 1 eve but i plan on having a little drink tonight (not getting drunk) just a couple beers to relax with.

is this okay to do? dont wana get my self wound up over something stupid.

thank you.

pollyanna
10-07-09, 17:52
Hi

I take propranolol too, 40 mg up to 3 times a day, when needed, and have done for many years.
Strictly speaking you shouldnt mix the two, the reason being it can make you drowsy, and you could fall etc. it usually takes a month or so to get used to it, after a couple of months if you have a small drink and dont feel drowsy, then it would probably be fine to have a few small drinks, but since this is only your first day taking them i would say give yourself at least a couple of weeks to get used to them, but everyone must decide for themselves, and this is only my view.

Good luck whatever you decide,

P x

willz88
11-07-09, 09:48
ahh thanks took me a while to find this post forgot where i posted it hehe

i didnt drink lst night, n dont think i will tonight, just gunna keep taking me propranolol. i got a concert comin up on thursday to see de la soul, but im feelin dead nervous about goin i really want to but i know i will end up panicing on the way in the car and in the concert with out any alcahol to take my mind off of it. i really wanna take my meds also but i duno if they will work and if it is worth it. ahhh wot a dilema!

pollyanna
11-07-09, 10:06
Hi Will

Glad you found my reply,

hope you enjoy your concert, i think you will find that although propranolol doesnt take anxiety away, it will take the edge of it, so you will be able to cope better with your anxiety going to the concert, try and time taking it to work in with the build up of going, i have found a bit of forward planning always helps in these situations... good luck

P x

willz88
11-07-09, 10:34
ill try but im not sure weather to go or not :/