PDA

View Full Version : I am having a really bad panic attack.

Pinkpoison223
10-07-09, 19:57
I am sweating, have a headache, hyperventilating, and I feel like I am going to pass out. Will I feel better soon? because supposedly panic attacks reach their peak in 10 minutes, but I don't know if that is true.

Help. :scared15:

bottleblond
10-07-09, 20:05
Pink

I don't believe that for a minute hun! I can have a panic attack that lasts only 50 seconds so please don't sit there thinking it will get any worse.
You are doing the right thing by distracting yourself on here. Also if your breathing is quite rapid, you can cup your hands over your mouth for a few minutes and that can help alot.

Don't let it scare you hun, kick ass!

Lisa
xx

Wiggy
10-07-09, 20:37
You have got to distract yourself for making it worse, it will subside......:D

If you focus on the symptoms that you are currently suffering with, it will feel like its getting worse and worse. (i've been there, loads of times..)

It's so easy to let it overwhelm you into a state where you feel unable to cope, and then the imagination runs riot. Especially when you're alone.

There are many posts on dealing with panic attacks and even after reading them, it still may seem hard to cope with. But what helped me was trying to understand what going on and why. (you won't die from it) :yesyes:

If you're not at the lying down and breathing slowly into the bag stage. Try reading/doing something that makes you think (crosswords, etc).

During a mild panic attack i had when driving home on Wednesday (in slow moving town traffic that just wouldn't go faster than 10 miles an hour) i started to sing along to a record that was playing - not in a loud voice, but it settled me down so that when i got home it has mostly subsided.

heh, here i am writing lines and lines of text, which seems to be helping me calm down a little bit. Thinking about what to write has stopped my hands sweating like buckets (which was what they were doing before i came here).

Hope you're feeling better and remeber you're not alone and it does get better... positve thoughts :yahoo:

Andy

drchic
10-07-09, 20:41
Hi, everyone!

I'm new here, but not new to panic attacks. I'm a therapist by profession, so while I suffer from depression and anxiety, I also work with patients who suffer as well...

This is hard. I have panic attacks several times a week. I'm on alprazolam as a rescue medication, and on Lamictal as a preventative. I find that both keep me mostly stable.

Take care, and stay safe.

drchic

drchic
10-07-09, 20:43
Have you considered biofeedback as an option? It's really helped me, it's "portable" and it also helps me manage my migraines when my medications aren't working...

Just a thought.

Take care,
drchic

peoplelikeus
10-07-09, 20:54
Try to remember that the symptoms are harmless but really uncomfortable. They will pass in time. Can take half a minute can also take half an hour...some of mine have lingered....

Breathe slowly....relax.....think positive calm thoughts

Cool down if you can......cool shower? soft music

Pinkpoison223
11-07-09, 01:14
Thanks everyone. I feel better know. I decided to take a nap and I woke up feeling completely refreshed. :)