PDA

View Full Version : Head Pain

tt
14-09-05, 12:54
Has anyone ever had a lot of tension in their neck that one side of your scalp aches. I have had for three days now, not a lot of neck pain but when I move my neck from side to side. When I chew it actually hurts that side of my head, just above my left ear and up to the top. Last night I had a straight stabbing pain in the top left, like a pick jabbing in and out. That has left but now I am avoiding eating to avoid the pain feeling. The worst is should I get this looked at? Is it muscular?Is it serious? I am going to make an appointment with the Chiropractisioner this morning and have my neck aligned and see if this helps. I will ask her opinion but not sure if they would be as qualified as a Doctor is something were to be serious.

TT:)

JonParr
14-09-05, 13:21
Hi TT

Sounds very similar to what I am going through at the moment. Have been to Chiro twice recently to sort the physical aspects out, but I certainly have the "scalp ache".

Along with this my eyes feel very tired seem to move at a different speed to the rest of my body - making me feel uneasy on my feet sometimes. Also the feeling of have brain wrapped in cotton wool and head gets hot.

Do you have it all the time, or do you find it "goes" if you are distracted and not thinking about it? The latter is true for me so am sure it's to do with anxiety.

Good luck with the Chiro. Let us know what she thinks...

Hope that helps?

Jon.

tt
14-09-05, 19:39
Well, my neck was out of line and made three crackles. She said it was out and the nerves agitated have to go somewhere. When I told her that it even hurt to chew and about the sharp pain she did not flinch. I did not tell her that I suffer from being a worry wort and think the worst.
All I said was do you think that is what is causing the pain, and she said yes. I have been to the doctor before about pain in the side of my temple and around my ear and he said it was muscular. The only thing different is it is higher up on my head and the ice-pick feeling is not pleasant. I think I am doing better with not worrying so much, but I must still be somewhat or I wouldn't be the way I am right now worrying about a tumor etc. I will continue to try and relax and accept that she did not think anything by it.

thanks for your reply,

kt
14-09-05, 20:02
Hi tt,
I can relate to your symptoms, i have had the same headaches on and off for about 3 years now! I'm not suggesting that you will have them for this long!
I find that i am very right sided. I do everything from my right side, and this is the side of my headaches.
I carry a heavy handbag on my left shoulder and so this pulls this side down and makes my right side go up. So when i put my bag down the muscles on my right side stay tense. Sorry if i haven't explained this properly, my chiropractor knew straight away what was causing my headaches. I also slouch a lot on the sofa which makes it worse.
Try to be aware of your posture and do some neck stretching exercises, i find these always help.
Take care and try not to worry too much, kt xx

Be gentle and you will need no strength, be patient and you will achieve all things.

JonParr
14-09-05, 20:39
Hi ya

You've obviously got the same sort of thing - physical problems that are bound to cause discomfort/pain and then with the way the head works, turns that into something more terrible in our minds.

What kt said is excellent advice - stretching neck and spine. I found some good stretching exercises based on yoga and they certainly help. Also pressing acupressure points seems to take the tension away very quickly.

Just keep telling yourself "There is nothing seriously wrong" when you do get anxious and relax.

Hope you feel better soon

Jon.

PS. Kt - have you tried a bag that goes over both shoulders. I know it's different, but I play golf, and have recently changed to a double shoulder bag and that has helped no end - pulls evenly on both sides so I don't actually notice I'm carrying at all. Just a thought...

kt
14-09-05, 21:16
Hi Jon,
thanx for advice. Could you describe exactly where the acupressure points are so i can give that a go?
I also find that yoga really helps.
take care, kt x

Be gentle and you will need no strength, be patient and you will achieve all things.

JonParr
14-09-05, 21:37
Right - here we go...found these on a really good website - holistic-online.com
Text copied straight from their site, so all rights etc. belong to them...
http://www.holistic-online.com/stress/stress_acupressure.htm
(that should cover it) ;)

Head
Yintang, also called the Third Eye Point, is helpful in alleviating tension headaches and eyestrain. It is located between your eyebrows, in the indentation between the bridge of your nose and forehead. Use your middle finger to apply gentle steady pressure on the point for one minute. As you apply the pressure, focus on slow, deep breathing. Release the pressure after one minute, let your face muscles relax, and repeat the exercise.

Neck
Points located on both sides of the body, spaced a couple of inches apart, at the base of the skull between the two vertical neck muscles are effective for relieving tension in the neck. Sit comfortably and drop your head slightly. Holding the back of your head with both hands, use your thumbs to apply firm pressure to the two spots. Gently drop your head back into the pressure. When you feel a pulse on both sides, slowly release the pressure.

Shoulders
To release tension in your shoulders, press a point located in the highest point of your shoulder muscle. Sit in a comfortable chair and allow your body to relax. Let your head drop forward, breathe deeply, and curving your fingers, apply firm pressure to the point referred to as CB 21 for one minute. (Caution: Pregnant women should not use this point.)

Hope it helps you like it has me

Cheers

Jon.

kt
14-09-05, 21:51
Wow, thanx Jon, i will certainly try this and take time to read the site!!
take care, kt xx:D

JonParr
14-09-05, 21:57
There's another one 4 finger widths below the bottom of the kneecap and about an inch towards the outside of the let - between the big shin bone and the muscle. That helps to to relieve "general tension". When I press them on my legs - it hurts like hell, but soon reduces.

Let me know how you get on with it.

Take care

Jon.

meatybuddy
14-09-05, 21:58
hi i also get the neck aches that also goes up one side of my head mainly my left side but it goes to the to of my scalp and is really tender to touch i went the docs with it and she just said its nothing 2worry about

There is light at the end of the tunnel its just fiding it thats the hard part

tt
14-09-05, 22:05
Thanks everyone,
We generated a lot of useful info. I will read the site, it looks like a great tool to start back exercising.

Thanks,