PDA

View Full Version : You can get better

smudga
28-06-03, 06:40
Howdy! I'd thought I'd write to say that I am so so so much better than I used to be from when I first got Panic Disorder in Aug 2001. I was diagnosed with severe panic disorder and OCD on top. I used to have really really really really tough days.

But these days I'm a happy chappy. I'm not recovered 100%. I still get the little panic attacks which come and go pretty quick, but I don't get the major panic attacks that I used to every day. I realise I've still got some work to do to get rid of these little pesky panic attacks, but I know in time they'll go.

I take cipramil and Tegretol for medication. I have seen a psychiatrist once every 6 weeks or so. I have used him as someone who keeps an eye on my medication. I feel people who write books or share stories on the internet probably know more about panic disorder than he does so I use them as more my counsellors.

So in finishing I hope people will now see that u can get better no matter how bad your situation is.

tate
20-07-03, 18:01
that is so nice to hear. it really gives me hope that one day i will be free from all this. i am yet to see a counceller but feel its time to. but it is such a vicous circle. i feel panicky about going to see one if you know what i mean.

Jo
21-07-03, 15:09
Thanks for your words Smudga. It proves that we can all beat or control our panic/anxiety/phobias/OCD etc, in the end.

Keep it up matey

Jo xx

Joanne
22-07-03, 12:43
quote:Originally posted by tate

but it is such a vicous circle. i feel panicky about going to see one if you know what i mean.

Hi tate-
That has always been my problem- no way could I go to a group therapy thing, or a councellor. I would panic then faint. It was in a group/ social setting that I had my first panic attack. I haven't worked since- or been to a doctor. In fact the first person I really spoke to about this was Su (nomates)....almost 10 years later!
I have suppressed it- and dodged around situations so long- I wonder if therapy would help me? Sometimes I think I should see a doctor- as there might be a medication that suits me. but other times i think ' you've managed so far- don't bother'. Also- I have gradually got better over the years, but only cos I hide at home! :-s
I would really love to get a job and go out for meals etc normally.
ooops, i'm rambling now!
anyway- the point was...you're not alone . [:I]
Joanne x

Shelley
22-07-03, 16:24
Joanne

I think everyone can benefit from therapy - and a visit to the doctors would do you the world of good. I think it's such a shame that you have missed out on so much, dont let this consume your life there's so much out there.

x Shell

Joanne

i think eveyone can ben

Meg
22-07-03, 17:57
Dear Joanne,

There are several ways that you could improve your current situation further but you have to be 100 % committed and up for it and be willing to feel uncomfortable at times whilst travelling that healing path.

Have you ever fainted from being anxious ?- being pregnant doesn't count !:)

Joanne
22-07-03, 18:49
quote:Originally posted by radar

Have you ever fainted from being anxious ?- being pregnant doesn't count !:)

I have never actually fainted. But luckily I have always been able to remove myself physically from the ' situation'. That usually brings my heart rate down!
I have felt the symptoms- dizzy, hot, light headed. And I feel like I want to lie down/ collapse.

Meg
22-07-03, 22:55
.......and it's very unlikely you would ever faint either.

The dizziness is one of the worst symptoms to live with but largely comes from
a) noradrenaline being secreted from the adrenals which raises blood pressure to accomodate the heart rate rising we feel dizzy whilst a new balance is being achieved and
b) rising tension affecting the balance mechanism in the ears.

So although it feels like we need to hold onto something and are going to faint any minute it rarely happens. If you stay in the situation rather than removing yourself, the situation improves and you feel more comfortable in it as your heart settles and blood pressure stabilizes thus also stopping the flushes which are pure adrenaline. It's no fun to start with but as you make progress it gets much better.[:o)]

Joanne
22-07-03, 23:43
I suffer alot from hot flushes and blushing. Have you got any advice??
(no-it's NOT the menopause ;) )

Shelley
24-07-03, 11:38
To be honest Joanne, I think hot flushes are part and parcel of being a woman.

Shell

nomorepanic
13-08-03, 20:25
I get lots of hot flushes too - I hate the heat and I sweat soo much and feel dreadful. I sleep with a fan on in this hot weather and througout the year I sleep with a sheet rather than a duvet cos I am always warm.

It is a joke in our house that we fight over the heating. I turn it off and he turns it on all the time - I save us a fortune on bills.

Not sure there is a cure but I did get a bit better when I lost 2 stone in weight!

Nicola

bishop
17-08-03, 19:45
i also get lots of hot flushes,dizzy,in my house my mate turns the heating down and i turn it up,but i find my mind plays tricks on me,eg have i done that,so i find im always double checking thing .
bish