PDA

View Full Version : Me lol!

desperate
14-09-05, 13:06
Hello all,

Am looking for some support.

I have experienced problems for 2 years now and feel it has overtaken my life.

It started at Uni and coninsided with the start of a relationship which caused me tremendous stress over the two years. I started off getting anxious...which therapy has helped me understand....this then escalated into panic attacks everyday from Feb-September, beta blockers stopped this and i was on them spiradically for a month. Now it is more GAD and pretty severe depression and has been for a year. My head feels in a constant muddle and often I am not really *there*.

Treatment, I have tried citalopram which i had to stop as i had a fit when combined with risperdal, more recently i have tried prozac which made my anxiety terrible and has resulted in my being in bed for over a week and has made me heavily ruminate too.

I feel at a loss to know what to do now, I seem very stuck, I know the only way to get better is to carry on but then my brain doesn't seem to want to let me, i am terrified of pretty much everything and cannot seem to do anything at the moment.

I would like to try St Johns Wort, 5HTP and maybe something like rescue remedy but i may get a prescription of xanax or something. But i am worried it won't be enough, i don't know how to have fun anymore.

Any input appreciated, this seems like a great place.

First Anxiety...then panic attacks...now GAD and depression

suzuki
14-09-05, 13:36
" Brain doesn't seem to let me want to carry on " thats so me as well. I can really relate to u and i don't know which way to turn either. Them drugs u tried are called SSRI'S and like you and as i've already told you had horrendous side effects

jill
14-09-05, 13:37
Hi D

Just want to say
WELCOME TO THE SITE :D
There are lots of nice people here who will
help and support you.

TAKE CARE

LOVE JLLXXX

When you fear something,
learn as much about it as you can.
Knowledge conquers fear.

desperate
14-09-05, 13:49
Thanks for those replies, I am beginning to think that the only option for me is tranquilisers in the hope that the depression lifts with a clearer and calmer head.[Sigh...]

clickaway
14-09-05, 14:04
Hi, and welcome to the site

Has your doctor mentioned CBT to you - a kind of therapy that disciplines you to change your thought processes to being more positive?

May be worth asking about, and see what the waiting list is like in your area. The charity No Panic run such courses on the phone too.

Take Care,

Ray

And when you get the choice to sit it out or dance, I hope you dance.
~Mark Sanders and Tia Sillers

desperate
14-09-05, 14:09
I had CBT for about 6 sessions, but that was mainly about getting me through the last ten weeks of Uni and my relationship.

Thank you I will investigate the phone thing.

I am having therapy.

Meg
14-09-05, 14:23
Hi Desperate

Are you still taking Risperdal and are you under the care of a psychiatrist for the medication alterations ?

Meg
www.anxietymanagementltd.com

Your anxiety is the human representation of the pictures that you paint using your many vivid colours of revolving and reoccurring thoughts.
How big is your gallery ?

desperate
14-09-05, 14:28
Hi Meg,

No I took the risperdal for one day, everyone i speak to can't seem to fathom why i was even given it.

I see the CMHT but don't see a psychiatrist regularly. I have an appt with a consultant on Thursday though.

Meg
14-09-05, 14:47
I agree with 'everyone'. Its not a primary treatment for anxiety/panic.

First Steps to overcoming Panic and Anxiety (http://www.nomorepanic.co.uk/showthread.php?t=942)

*I know the only way to get better is to carry on but then my brain doesn't seem to want to let me, i am terrified of pretty much everything and cannot seem to do anything at the moment.*

Yes you're right but sometimes it is just too hard to keep pushing all at once - perhaps choose one aspect to concentrate on first that may help you feel distracted, such as seeing friends.

Are you going back to uni soon or is that now finished ?

GAD is progress from sheer panic and the depression may be due to constantly feel fed up/despondant with it all rather than a clinical depression so as you manage to make some progress it may lift accordingly

Meg
www.anxietymanagementltd.com

Your anxiety is the human representation of the pictures that you paint using your many vivid colours of revolving and reoccurring thoughts.
How big is your gallery ?

pips
14-09-05, 14:52
Hi Desperate,

A BIG warm welcome to the site i hope it helps you.

Take care,

Love PIP'S X X

pinkscrumpy
14-09-05, 14:55
Hiya D

A warm welcome to you. :D:D

MANDIE XX

Will I ever escape this?
Will I ever be free?
Wake me up from this nightmare.
Please just give me the key!

desperate
14-09-05, 14:57
Hi Meg,

Thanks for that reply, I told my doctor about constant worrying and he said risperdal would help with my thoughts?!

People always tell me I try too hard and keep pushing through things, which is i suppose why things got this bad, my inability to step back and evaluate the situation. It is difficult to do this though when your head feels so muddled and on edge.

I have always felt that the depression stemmed from being anxious, and the anxiety was never really treated, the first time I went to a doctor in March 2004 I was offered prozac which frightened me even more.

I have graduated now with a 2:1 although that feels pretty worthless now as my mental health is so bad.

I do not know how to break this cycle, if i see friends then I am stressed out anyway!

desperate
14-09-05, 15:15
Thanks for all those welcomes!!

nomorepanic
14-09-05, 16:06
Hi Desperate

Just wanted to welcome you aboard the forum.

I hope we can offer you some support and I see Meg has made a start in some suggestions already so let's hope some help.

Nicola

"Nearly all happiness comes into our lives through doors we don't even remember leaving open"

Elaine1
14-09-05, 16:17
Hi Desparate

Firstly, I big welcome to the site - I am sure you will find it invaluable.

I found the site in the early hours last Friday and have found it so very helpful. Everyone is friendly and truely wants to support each other.

In one of your replies you said you graduated with a 2:1. Congratulations, you still managed to achieve such a fantastic result when you were suffering, a real achievement, something to be proud of, keep this thought with you. You may not feel ready to use it yet, but the time will come and its there ready for you!

I wish you well. Keep talking to your GP

Elaine

Karen
14-09-05, 16:52
Hi Desperate

Welcome to the forum. I see you've had some good suggestions already and I hope you find these helpful. You will get a lot of help and support here.

Karen

It is not easy to find happiness in ourselves, and it is not possible to find it elsewhere.

Peru83
14-09-05, 17:04
<center>WELCOME</center>

Hi Desperate,

Sorry to hear your having a bad time finding the right meds for you. Can I just ask how long you were on Citalopram? Cause that is what I am on for GAD and Depression, I was started on 20mg and at first (say about the first 7-8weeks) I wasn't noticing a difference but since being put up to 30mg I am now going out on my own! that is a big thing for me at the moment.

Listen to meg she really does know exactly what she is talking about, if you have a question she will have the answer :D

Take Carexx

Claire

"Of all the things I've lost I miss my mind the most!"

desperate
14-09-05, 17:22
Hi Claire,

I was on them from April - July without any improvement really.

It was a VERY stressful time though.

I was put upto 40mg and felt out of it, didn't like it then down to 20mg again and then taken off due to my fit, phew!!

Peru83
14-09-05, 18:36
goodness me hun, sounds like you had a right time of it. well sorry that I couldn't be of any help.

but hello and welcome anyhoo, lol.

Take Carexx

Claire

"Of all the things I've lost I miss my mind the most!"

desperate
14-09-05, 18:42
Yes ive had a tough 2 years now!

hunny
14-09-05, 18:52
Hiya

Just wanted to say theres lots of people similar to you on this site.
Hopefully we can all help and support each other.
Also,getting your degree is fantastic,even though it may not feel like it now.Its there ready for you to use when you are ready,congrats!!
Hunny:D

desperate
14-09-05, 19:09
Thanks for that!

It'll be interesting to see what is suggested to me 2moro now.

I will keep you guys posted!