PDA

View Full Version : Paul Mckenna Cds and anxiety.

CH2005
14-09-05, 13:32
Hi all,
This is my first post on this forum, so please bear with me.

I suffer from long standing general anxiety and associated insomnia which I thought I'd more or less overcome until a recent event caused it to recur. Visits to the doctor have resulted in me being prescribed SSRI antidepressants, which thus far haven't had much effect. I have now come to the realisation that I can no longer rely on doctors and medication alone and have to also help myself. There's plenty of good advice on this and similar forums and I'm on with putting these into practice.

My question here is regarding a Paul Mckenna "Sleep like a log" self help CD that was bought for me. On the CD cover is a warning to the effect "Do not listen to this product if you suffer from Clinical Depression or any other nervous or psychiatric condition. If in doubt consult your doctor". I did consult my doctor and she didn't seem unduly concerned, but, as I have always been wary of hypnosis, I wonder if anyone on this site has any opinions as to whether this and similar CD pose any problem for anxiety sufferers.

Any advice would be much appreciated

Many thanks.

dizzydruid
14-09-05, 13:50
Hi,
I havent tried that particular Paul McKenna CD but i did recently buy and use his Change your life in 7 days one. It also said not to use in the case of clinical depression, not sure why, I suppose i could be classed as that but I thought I would give it a go and it was fantastic. I didnt 'feel' hypnotised at any point really, just incredibly relaxed and blissful and it was wonderful as I soo needed to feel relaxed at that time as I was suffering from a lot of genreal anxiety.
The Cd I listened to is a little bit cheesy sounding and parts of it made me smile but I really found it a great help and it is fasinating as to how it worked, i really dont have much idea but all I know is it did. After listening to it a couple of times a day , I wouldnt say I amazingly happy but i feel a lot more in control and optimistic.
Before that I hadnt tried hypnosis and i was a bit wary but it doesnt feel like you imagine hypnosis to be, you still feel very consious while you listen I promise!
Give it a try once even if you are sceptical just relax and listen and let him do his work. I would recommend Paul McKenna to anyone he certainly knows what he is doing and seems really professional.

lucy x

nomorepanic
14-09-05, 13:51
Hi

Welcome aboard. Lovely to see you here.

We had a post about this before - let me see if I can find it for you.

Basically he puts these warnings on all his CD's to cover him!

You will be fine to listen to it so try not to worry.

Nicola

"Nearly all happiness comes into our lives through doors we don't even remember leaving open"

nomorepanic
14-09-05, 14:06
Here you go ...

Paul McKenna hypnosis CD's (http://www.nomorepanic.co.uk/showthread.php?t=717)

Nicola

"Nearly all happiness comes into our lives through doors we don't even remember leaving open"

desperate
14-09-05, 14:12
I did the Change your life one too and suffer from depression.

No problems!!

I think he prob just doesn't want to be sued!

First Anxiety...then panic attacks...now GAD and depression

Karen
14-09-05, 17:08
Hi

Welcome to the forum.

I suffer from depression and anxiety and have been having hypnotherapy for a while, as well as using hypnosis CDs with no problems whatsoever.

As others have said, the warning is there merely to cover himself in today's litigious society.

Karen

It is not easy to find happiness in ourselves, and it is not possible to find it elsewhere.

CH2005
14-09-05, 22:27
Wow!! Many thanks everyone. Didn't think I'd get so much advice so fast!!

Makes sense, what you all say, that Mr Mckenna and all concerned are simply covering their backs by including this warning. I now feel much happier about using these CDs, so I'm off to get my headphones and I'll let you know how I get on.

Thanks again to everyone.

Carl