PDA

View Full Version : Different sized pupils

cassy1989
11-07-09, 20:09
Anyone ever get one pupil bigger then the other??
I have noticed it a few times, the first time I noticed it was a few years ago. Tonight I looked at my pupils and noticed one was slightly bigger then the other.

Tink
11-07-09, 20:26
I have one pupil than other. I didn't really notice till I was referred to a neurologist and he mentioned it. He said was nothing to worry about

cassy1989
11-07-09, 20:46
Thanks. It's not all the time, just notice it occasionally. I normally notice it when I am in my bathroom and the bigger pupil is always on the same side as my bathroom window so that pupil is getting more light so I'm wondering if that is something to do with it.

moore
11-07-09, 21:51
Thanks. It's not all the time, just notice it occasionally. I normally notice it when I am in my bathroom and the bigger pupil is always on the same side as my bathroom window so that pupil is getting more light so I'm wondering if that is something to do with it.

I have one pupil somewhat bigger than the other too.
you can workaround this issue by shining a light into the bigger one lol.

seriously - if one is dilated completely even in bright light, as in no iris visible, that would indicate time to call 999. But one being a bit bigger than the other seems normal. I know I went through a phase of freaking out about it but now its cool :)

IllegallyBlond
13-07-09, 05:08
Hi! I have different sized pupils. My anxiety made me notice it believe it or not. I went to the doctor who told me to go see an eye doctor, and I did, and come to find out, I have had this for awhile. He told me to look at older photos I had at home, and sure enough it was there. The oldest photo I seen it in was about 11 years ago. Look at your pictures, and see if it's been that way. It's called anisocoria. If you haven't had it for awhile, a migraine can also cause it. Hope I helped.
:hugs:

vtguy
13-07-09, 05:33
I also have pupils that differ in size i think the lighting had the same effect on mine 2.

JohnBliss
13-07-09, 22:31
I too have pupils which are a different size and have been told by the experts that it's just the way it is and nothing to worry about
Regards
John

pd
13-07-09, 23:18
It's pretty common to have one slighty bigger. :)

I spent most of last summer sat in front of a mirror obsessively checking mine. :S

2 eye tests and a doctors appointment later, I'm finally convinced there's nothing wrong!

clarebear
14-07-09, 09:41
Hi I used to work for an optician,and my husband had one pupil bigger than other (very noticible sometimes).I got optician to have a look and it was nothing to worry about.He said it was tiredness and stress in his case.:hugs:

Alabasterlyn
14-07-09, 09:49
I have one pupil somewhat bigger than the other too.
you can workaround this issue by shining a light into the bigger one lol.

seriously - if one is dilated completely even in bright light, as in no iris visible, that would indicate time to call 999. But one being a bit bigger than the other seems normal. I know I went through a phase of freaking out about it but now its cool :)

I think it's a bit scary to say someone should call 999 if one pupil is completely dilated as it can have quite a simple cause. Obviously someone should go see their GP if they have this, but it's rare for it to be anything serious.

I have one pupil that doesn't react to light and all day long it's huge, while the other one is normal. At night time when you would expect both pupils to be large, the one that has been large all day goes small! The only time my pupil acts properly is if I try to focus on something close to me in the daylight and then it does get small. I went to see a neurologist about 20yrs ago and was diagnosed with Tonic Pupil which apparently is harmless and something that mainly women get and can be caused by a virus or stress.