PDA

View Full Version : Leg cramps???? Help me not to google

happyone
11-07-09, 23:41
Hoping someone with some knowledge might be able to help me.

I went away for a week. We normally do a bit of walking. I am unfit at the moment, but I can still walk. We went for a walk round a town, pretty flat, and I got the most god awful cramps in my calves. I couldn't walk, or at least not properly. Eventually, after walking for about 1/2 hour like someone on calipers, did they relax.

The next day we walked uphill. My legs were fine. I stopped to take a photo and then they seized. It took me forever to get up the hill and it was really painful. I had to sit for a while before they calmed down. I was ok on way down.

We went for a walk the next day. I felt a bit stupid as it was only a tiny walk but I made sure I stretched first. It didn't matter, they still pulled like elastic.

Yesterday, we went walking along a completely flat place and they spasmed again. I had to keep stopping like someone twice my age.

In between times, they are completely fine.

It makes me feel like I am incredibly unfit, but I walk on a daily basis.
Any ideas? Of course, I am thinking really negative stuff and am trying really hard not to google.......

Happyone
x

Wee-Mee
11-07-09, 23:43
Please don't google.. I am trying hard not to at the moment though I caved.. :weep:

I really could be just that you haven't strained your leg mucles in a while so they are aching a bit.. I went walking yesterday in the park with my boyfriend and my shins are sore today!

xx

tashbarnes87
12-07-09, 18:59
leg cramps are normally the first sign of a magneisum deficiency. try some vitamins but im sure your fine :) xx

happyone
12-07-09, 23:29
Thanks for that. A recent test from a medical survey I took part in showed I was deficient in vitamin D so I started taking a multi vitamin but minertals were't mentioned.

Ok.....yesterday I was scared, today I am freaked. I have massive water retention. I cannot see my ankles as my ankles and lower leg are so swollen. I cannot wear any of my shoes except an adjustable velcro pair of walking sandals and they are at their loosest.
My dad died of secondary liver cancer and I watched his legs blow up. I am scared I have problems with my liver due to the meds I take for bipolar.
I am going to make an appt for doc on tues but it seems so far away.

Happyone
x

wewantfun
13-07-09, 00:00
hey there, let me tell you what happened to me,
5 weeks ago, me and my husband went to a music festival for 3 days. now im used to walking but maybe not so much standing around which is what we did for most of the time in the heat.
so anyway, when we gets home and the next day i look down at my feet and my ankles were so swollen i nearly cried! then i started getting quite bad pain in my right leg, mainly calf and shin. i let it go but the next few days it got worse to the point it was waking me up at night, so the next day i went to the doctors and they told me that it was muscle strain due to lots of walking and not enough drinking of water and that it should go off soon.
so i left it and a week went by and still no better, if anything it seemed to get worse, with pain in my instep of my foot so i went to the hospital in the end as i was worried about DVT and Cellulitis. i had a complete check, circulation was fine, no signs of dvt, or anything else, actually the doc siad i had the best set of legs!
it was just muscle strain and to just take it easy but it can take up to 8 weeks to get better. its now coming up for 6 weeks and my legs are now starting to feel normal.
i hope this may make you feel better, but make sure you do ask your doctor that you would like it investigated further if you are concerned. xx