PDA

View Full Version : What needs to be done?

GregorS
12-07-09, 03:50
Hey there

First post here: although I've been looking for a community that shares my problems for quite awhile, it has taken something drastic for me to feel it necessary to actually go and find one.

I first suffered a panic attack a couple of months before my 16th birthday, and have since suffered them more frequently and violently until now, 1 month before my 18th. They began as uncomfortable feelings that I couldn't explain, but could handle until my first "proper" exams (highers). The attacks basically made it impossible for me to focus during these exams, and so I was given a room by myself. While I didn't exactly revel in getting "special treatment", I still thought at the time it would be a stopgap til I was "cured".

Following some months of counseling since then, I realised that I can ever be 'cured', but the attacks can become much more manageable. This was until my last set of exams in High School, two months ago. During my first, I had to leave early, leaving the paper barely started (automatic fail) because I was hit with such a strong attack. I could barely read it, I was panicking so much. Obviously this was cause for great concern, so I returned to my GP, and this brings me to the real point of my post: he prescribed me medication, propranolol to be precise.

At the time I thought it was a marvelous, easy solution. I took one pill every day of the subsequent exams and didn't feel any feelings of anxiety or panic. I have since been given a larger prescription for my adventures into University in September, but the more I think about it, the more I feel I have 'given it'. Do you think that taking medication is the easy way out? That I'm just too weak-willed to beat this myself? I'm incredibly torn about the subject at the moment.

Apologies for the wall of text, but if you did read it through, it is appreciated greatly

Parfait757
12-07-09, 13:54
I agree it is not the easy way out...I don't believe there is any easy way to beat anxiety. If taking meds makes you uncomfortable just take them when you absolutely have (on the especially hard days) on the other days try to work through your anxiety and learn techniques that can help and eventually lead to a med free recovery.

Annabelle
12-07-09, 15:05
your post sounds like something i could have written - i had to take me exams in a seperate room at school as well and i thought taking meds was me being a faliure but then my mum said something to me that made sense.... diabetics take insulin - are they a faliure for not being able to cure it on there own? are asthmatics faliures for not getting over asthma attacks without inhalers? you have a condition that needs treating, one way of treating your condition is with medication which with other methods, you take until you get better.

its just one of the steps on the road to recovery.

xx

june
12-07-09, 15:24
First - i agree with every thing that has just been said.
I have just replied to a post from annebelle who is panicking over tomorrows exam (good luck)
GregorS if medicaation is helping you then continue with it - you will be in regular contact with your doctor who will know when to reduce your dosage.
University is a VERY big step - if you can relax and enjoy the experience so much the better.
Tetley recommends - left of screen for panic attacks - very very good info there - i would also recommend (at your leisure, because there is a lot to read) ""symptoms"" just below panic.
And Claire Weeks - well now there is an author well known to ""us"" on this site - Written a while ago BUT totally relevant for us today.
If you are offered more counselling - accept it anything that will reduce your anxiety (except booze - not ever a good idea:weep: )
Eat well - sleep well and stop "beating yourself up"":yesyes:
Best wishes
June

GregorS
12-07-09, 15:46
Really appreciate the replies, thanks :blush:

Really see what you're saying Annabell, I've got a quite indepth knowledge of the biology of a panic attack (Biology being what I'm gonna study at University :D) so meds are clearly the obvious choice, but that doesn't change the feelings of guilt or shame that come when I have to do something drastic to avoid panic (usually escaping a classroom, exam etc).

I still do a lot of the exercises my counselor taught me, breathing, muscle relaxation, distraction, all that jazz. Maybe I've not really recognised just how far they got me without needing to turn to meds.

Another thing in the meds defense is that the few days I was trialling it over my exams, I did feel more "normal" than I had for years, without even the slightest twinge of anxiety.

Sorry for rambling, just great to have it all fall on like-minded ears, thank you :)