PDA

View Full Version : Starting CBT

Elaine1
15-09-05, 20:33
Well, got phone call today and have managed to arrange my first CBT session for tomorrow at 5pm.

I'm glad that the date in the diary now, but am anxious over what I will find or indeed what will happen.

My gp and psychriatrist feel it is right for me, although I am not sure, but I will do anything that helps me get to grips with my anxiety and panic attacks.

I have read some of the posts on the forum and information on site, so have a little understanding, but my stomach is doing somersaults big time!

Any pointers of what to expect would be really appreciated.

Elaine

rozza
15-09-05, 21:19
Hi Elaine,

I would imagine your first session will just be an assessment of your current mental health and the CBT therapist will explain more about what they can do to help and give you chance to ask any questions you may have.

Don't worry about it, use the time constructively and hopefully you'll come away feeling much more positive. You're taking the next step to getting right!

Good luck,
Roz x

'All I want is to be normally insane' Marlon Brando

Meg
15-09-05, 22:24
CBT Questions (http://www.nomorepanic.co.uk/showthread.php?t=222)
Maxine's cbt progress. (http://www.nomorepanic.co.uk/showthread.php?t=2308)

Meg
www.anxietymanagementltd.com

Your anxiety is the human representation of the pictures that you paint using your many vivid colours of revolving and reoccurring thoughts.
How big is your gallery ?

seh1980
16-09-05, 11:50
Good luck with it Elaine - do let us know how you get on :D

"Life is too important to take seriously" Corky Siegal

Karen
16-09-05, 12:14
Hope the session goes well for you Elaine.

Karen

It is not easy to find happiness in ourselves, and it is not possible to find it elsewhere.

tammyg
16-09-05, 20:02
How did you get on? Hope it went ok for you.

Tam x

Elaine1
17-09-05, 19:00
Thank you all for messages of support.

I have to admit to being nervous beforehand, but once through the door and met guy doing session, felt very much at ease!

As you said Rozza, it was getting to know me, lots of questions and pleased to say lol!

He was great, asked me to talk him through the lead up to a typical panic attack etc. How I feel most of the time, a little about me and my family then about CBT and how he works with each person. A couple of my responses he jumped on and said that was interesting and 'we will revisit this' - things like talking yourself into a panic attack and my low imagine of myself - people pleaser, etc.

So I left feeling positive, with big smile on my face and with HOMEWORK.

A daily diary of moods, triggers and events.

A list of goals - what I would like to achieve and overcome.

Two sheets to judge my mood on the day of my next appt (Thurs or Fri next week!)

Something I did realise whilst there is that I believe I have been suffering with HA (if you knew my medical history you would understand why I am more anxious than most over my health!) and GA far longer than I realised. It has been the panic attacks of recent that have caused it all to come to a head, so that realisation must be progress!

I have to say, he was great, very good relaxed manner, I feel he will really be able to help!

Elaine

tammyg
17-09-05, 21:43
I'm glad it went well. It sounds great! Who would have thought homework could make you so happy lol. I am sure this thread will help others considering CBT so keep posting on how it's going.

Tam x

Elaine1
23-09-05, 16:50
Well second session of CBT was yesterday.

I went armed with my diary, list of issues/goals and sheets gauging how I was feeling.

We went through my diary and overall felt the week had been generally positive. My sleep patterns have improved.

The sheets came out reasonably well - interestingly within the range he expected for me.

We agreed that I was to reduce the diazepam tablet by half for several days and then to stop it, just leaving the citalopram.

One of my tasks was to list issues/goals.

As everyone gives so freely here, I don't feel too embarassed to list them, so here goes:

- over anxious about own health

- always see a situation in the worst possible light - looking for negative - will I cope? Always thinking about things that are weeks in advance.

- anxious over children - schooling - missing out - What emotional baggage am I giving them?

- people don't/won't like me - not good enough - not interesting enough - real need to be liked. Do people really like me?

We spent alot of time discussing this list, much of which we will revisit over coming weeks. He had some very interesting comments about the various headings and slants on them I couldn't see - food for thought and all that.

Once again we ran out of time, but I feel he has the real measure of me now - probably scared the hell out of him LOL - We did laugh alot over what was being said though!!

Next week apparently its getting down to the nitty gritty so that will be interesting!!!

So for this week, I have to continue my diary, do the sheets again on the day I see him and a list of things outsdie my comfort zones - things I am avoiding at the moment - that should prove an interesting list!

I will keep posting as Tammy suggested, just in case it helps anyone else.

Thanks for reading - hope I haven't bored the pants off you!

Elaine

Meg
23-09-05, 16:58
**hope I haven't bored the pants off you!**

I'm sure this will come under *always see a situation in the worst possible light - looking for negative * lol

No , you haven't . We like following peoples progress and getting updates.

Thank you..

Meg
www.anxietymanagementltd.com

Your anxiety is the human representation of the pictures that you paint using your many vivid colours of revolving and reoccurring thoughts.
How big is your gallery ?

Karen
23-09-05, 17:02
Glad to hear it is going so well Elaine and you are getting something out of it already. It all sounds very positive.

And no, you haven't bored us! It is great to read how others are progressing.

Karen

It is not easy to find happiness in ourselves, and it is not possible to find it elsewhere.

tammyg
23-09-05, 18:09
Lovely to hear it is going well. It's good to read about what really happens in these sessions, nice to hear you had a bit of a laugh too.

Thanks for the update

Tam x

tracyp584
23-09-05, 18:26
Hey Elaine,

Glad to hear you are getting on well with CBT. I too am having CBT and i'm on my fourth session. I recognize a lot of the things you listed!

I have to say i never thought i would of made as much progress as i have in 4 weeks, but as you must know, it really helps you look at things in a different perspective.

Take care,

tracy x x

pips
24-09-05, 16:56
Glad to see it's going well Elaine,

I can definately empathize with some of your points hun!

Thanks for posting.

Take Care,

Love PIP'S X X

Elaine1
30-09-05, 17:39
Update - 3rd Session Yesterday!

Another great session, went through diary - discussed the 2 interesting entries of the week - how I coped or not!! Looking back on them now - totally ridiculous, but at the time - the world was ending - normality had gone out of the window.

Something that came out of the diary was how much I was doing each week - I think I am currently being lazy, to how I was. He suggested that I was probably not, but perhaps in the past I was expecting too much of myself and may be now my body is calling time out - which is why I could be struggling with things - so one piece of homework (in addition to diary and mood sheets) is to keep a day by day log of what I do hour by hour for us to review next week!

Discussed list of things outside comfort zone - couple of which I had began to tackle on my own - so progress there and he set a couple of small challenges for the week ahead. Try to do food shopping on own and try to go for short walk on own! Things recently I have done with hubby, as I have been so anxious, but in the past have always done on my own! Sounds easy - ha ha Well sounds easy when you type it!

The last bit of homework and by far the most difficult is a 'Thought Record'. This is to tackle a negative situation and improve my thought process in dealing with it, so more paper with columns:

1) Situation
2) Moods (What do you feel - rate each mood 0 - 100%)
3) Automatic Thoughts (Images) and from that a Hot Thought
4) Evidence that supports the Hot Thought
5) Evidence that does not support the Hot Thought
6) Alternative/Balanced Thoughts
7) Rate Moods Now (moods listed in 2 with % now)

1 - 4 is apparently quite straight forward, but the real challenging bit is 5 - 7, but what you hopefully see is a drop in percentage in column 7 compared with column 2. A challenging week ahead.

I have to say that I am really enjoying the sessions and really laughed alot, but felt exhausted when I got home!!

Has anyone else done a 'Thought Record', if so, how did you find it?

Thanks for reading!

Elaine :D:D:D:D

tammyg
30-09-05, 18:15
Hi Elaine,

its lovely to follow your progress through the sessions.

*Something that came out of the diary was how much I was doing each week - I think I am currently being lazy, to how I was. He suggested that I was probably not, but perhaps in the past I was expecting too much of myself *
It is strange how we perceive ourselves and how different this is to how others see us.

The thought record sounds like it could be really useful. Anything that can help change our negative thoughts has to be worth a try. You have explained it so well that I might give it a try myself - thanks!!

Tam x

SB
03-10-05, 21:47
<b id="quote">quote:</b id="quote"><table border="0" id="quote"><tr id="quote"><td class="quote" id="quote">Update - 3rd Session Yesterday!

The last bit of homework and by far the most difficult is a 'Thought Record'. This is to tackle a negative situation and improve my thought process in dealing with it, so more paper with columns:

Has anyone else done a 'Thought Record', if so, how did you find it?

Thanks for reading!

Elaine :D:D:D:D

Hi Elaine,
It sounds like you are doing great work on yourself. Cbt changed my life and it sounds like you are on the same road I'm on. We did a thing like your thought record in my group but it was called a TEA form from the book by Sam Obitz which only had three columns -Thought-Error-Analysis- it was tough to do at first but it helped me a great deal and continues to help me. It does get easier and easier to use with practice. Keep up the good work!

<div align="right">Originally posted by Elaine1 - 30 September 2005 : 16:39:40</div id="right">
</td id="quote"></tr id="quote"></table id="quote">

Elaine1
08-10-05, 08:00
4th Session on Thursday.

By far the most difficult session so far!!

Reviewed my diary, mood sheets, lists out of the comfort zone - all good stuff.

Discussed the Thought Record sheet I had done - got it right, so gold star for me, but all joking apart, the exercise worked and it was easier than I thought! So will repeat when I have a crisis.

My diary of what I do, hour by hour, was fine. We discussed various bits about it and moderation etc. I have to leave it for a week, but will repeat it again when I've gone back to work.

This is another positive thing, I am going back to work next week, but on slightly reduced hours. We discussed this and felt that it was the next logical move!

Then it got difficult!

I was asked what my core belief was!

Went very quiet and talked far more softly - he had got me - the crunch!

All the laughing and joking, set aside - the nitty gritty.

So out come the words, 'I'm not good enough' We both already knew what I would say, but knowing and saying, two different things!

Then relevant childhood data, followed by conditional assumptions/beliefs/rules and compensatory strageries and from this, how it applies to difficult situations.

It was all there - it is so easy when you put it on paper, you can see how you got there and really, why behaviour like this happens time and again.

So, I now know what there is to chip away at, to change my core belief.

I will do this and I have total faith in these sessions, but 'core beliefs' was always going to be so very difficult.

At the end of the day, as I see it, no matter what anybody family, friends or indeed strangers say to you, about how they perceive you, unless you see yourself in a different light, there the problem remains.

I may have known my core belief for a very long time, but I have now discussed it, and it is out in the open for everyone! So again, major step in the right direction.

I wouldn't want what I have said here today to put anyone off, as I truely feel this is doing me the world of good. Sometimes you have to visit uncomfortable feelings to move forward.

On a positive note, we discussed my progress so far and my therapist felt it was huge. I am challenging my thought process all the time, my depression and symptom scores and now well in the realms of normal (what ever normal is LOL) and my symptoms of anxiety are getting less, so it is definately worth it!

and for most of the session, it was very relaxed with laughter - I like laughter!! :D:D

Here's looking forward to next week!

Thanks for reading! :D

Elaine

Karen
08-10-05, 10:12
Hi Elaine

Sounds like the therapy is going really well and you are making excellent progress. Even though parts of it are difficult and challenging, you are getting there.

Great that you are feeling reading to return to work too. This is excellent and I hope all goes well for you next week.

<b id="quote">quote:</b id="quote"><table border="0" id="quote"><tr id="quote"><td class="quote" id="quote">At the end of the day, as I see it, no matter what anybody family, friends or indeed strangers say to you, about how they perceive you, unless you see yourself in a different light, there the problem remains.<div align="right">Originally posted by Elaine1 - 08 October 2005 : 08:00:51</div id="right">
This is so true and is a problem I have too. One of my core beliefs too is that I am not good enough and it doesn't matter what anyone says to challenge this, as I'm not able to believe it.

It sounds like you are ready to face up to this challenge though and I am sure you will get there.

Well done Elaine!

Karen

tammyg
08-10-05, 11:25
Hi Elaine,

Lovely to catch up with how the sessions are going. The thought record really does work... and it's so simple, who would have thought it!

Talking about beliefs and issues can be very difficult, but you are right - it is definately the way forward. Now you know exactly what you are dealing with you can work on it in a more focused way. Well done on knowing exactly what your core belief was and being so positive in looking to dealing with it.

Keep challenging those thoughts and good luck at work this week.

Take care.

Tammy x

Elaine1
14-10-05, 10:32
5th session yesterday.

I was not looking forward to it because my sleep had not been particulary good for the best part of the week!

So went along a little apprehensive, but I amazed myself.

As I was discussing the week with my therapist - my attitude to the sleep problems weas far more accepting than before. My words were all positive and that, this is a blip and I'm not going to work myself into a frenzy, but go with it!

We discussed my return to work and again, I was positive about this, even when I had to deal with a couple of difficult issues. Again very accepting of where I was!

Reflecting on my core belief - again, I found myself saying that I was beginning to accept how others perceive me and seeing myself in a more positive light!

Taking this into account, my therapist feels that I am instinctively beginning to question thoughts and how I see myself - he feels that I am doing this, without much prompting from him and all this on a week where sleep hasn't been good!

So, I feel I have turned a corner - probably it's more to do with how I'm beginning to see myself than anything else. There is no doubt in my mind that the therapy is opening the doors, what has surprised me was the positiveness in my manner - it was all natural - I was just coming out with it! LOL :D

There is not much more he feels I need in the way of strageries at the moment, so am continuing with daily diary and thought records as they are needed.

I have a review appt with the pyschatrist next Monday - but this does not worry me - it is just to see how things are.

So all in all, I have learnt things do not always have to be going as you would wish (for me - sleep), to still have a cracking week!!

Hope this helps anyone reading - I am very amazed and nearly speechless - now that's something - Elaine speechless - LOL :D

Elaine XX :D:D

Meg
14-10-05, 16:03
Hurrah !!

Well done Elaine

Meg xx

Karen
15-10-05, 06:12
Fantastic progress Elaine. You are doing extremely well.

Karen

3faces
16-10-05, 15:20
Keep up the good work Elaine!:D:D:D

Jem xxx

tracyp584
16-10-05, 15:28
Well done Elaine,

Keep it going! I am on my 6th session of CBT, and it is so important to keep the momentum going!

tracy x x

Every time you avoid your fears they become stronger,every time you face your fears they become weaker.

Elaine1
25-10-05, 12:51
Thanks to everyone for your continuing support.

6th session was last week - nothing much to report!

The good thing was that I also saw my psychatrist on Monday last week and he discharged me! :D He felt that I had come a long way and probably needed only a few more sessions with my therapist, but really further progress is now down to me! I have the tools!

We discussed how long I needed to stay on medication and how I would handle coming off and all that. So I left feeling very positive.

My therapist agreed with what had been said and was delighted once again with my week.

He hasn't given too much more homework, just the diary. He feels it is now the time to change the frequency of our sessions - Every other week, then a month and hopefully discharge before Christmas.

I really do feel that my life has been turned around!

Would strongly urge anyone to give CBT a whirl!!

Nigel,

As always, such wisdom! Once again I am in awe of you!! :D

'There should only be one person that we compare ourselves to, and that’s ourself yesterday.'

How right you are - I have written this down and put it in my purse!

Reflecting on my core belief - again, I found myself saying that I was beginning to accept how others perceive me and seeing myself in a more positive light!

That was very apt wording Elaine. Sounds like you've been practicing that little trick with the mirror ;)

This made me roar with laughter - You got me again!!!

Thank you all once again - You are truely supportive and good friends!

I will keep posting until I'm signed off by therapist in the hope that it might help others!

A very happy and laughing again,

Elaine!!!!! :D:D:D:D

tammyg
25-10-05, 14:03
Hi Elaine,

What FANTASTIC news!! [^]I am so glad you are feeling more positive, about everything!

You are very right, you have all the tools now so hopefully you can continue to make such good progress.

Congratulations on being discharged as well, you really have come a long way. I have been following this post with great interest (as you know!) so do keep posting to the end!

Well done:D:D:D

Tammy x

SB
25-10-05, 21:20
Great work to both of you and keeping taht momentum building :)

3faces
25-10-05, 22:17
It's been really great reading these messages Elaine and you sound like your doing brilliantly!!:D

I'm hopefully going to be starting a CBT based group session in early November and I can only hope I'll gain as much as you have.

Take care

Jem xxx

SB
09-11-05, 22:44
<b id="quote">quote:</b id="quote"><table border="0" id="quote"><tr id="quote"><td class="quote" id="quote">It's been really great reading these messages Elaine and you sound like your doing brilliantly!!:D

I'm hopefully going to be starting a CBT based group session in early November and I can only hope I'll gain as much as you have.

Take care

Jem xxx

<div align="right">Originally posted by Jem - 25 October 2005 : 22:17:34</div id="right">

Let us know how cbt works for you. I think you will really like it:D