PDA

View Full Version : Holiday Friday! Panicking!

MOJO
13-07-09, 09:39
I go on holiday Friday. Travelling all the way from Scotland down to Eastbourne on public transport (train) with hubbie. He's so looking forward to it and I'm dreading it. So scared how I'm going to cope and how I will be for two weeks away from everything I know (I am almost constantly anxious at home as well). Can anybody reassure me or give me advice on how to cope with journey and holiday. I really want to enjoy it but fear that may not be possible.:weep:

tracy12
13-07-09, 10:27
Oh i can relate, im going away for 4 days and trying to stay calm i keep telling myself its ok as i can stay in motel room.:blush:

valleybear
13-07-09, 10:55
Hi hun, firstly Eastbourne is beautiful and I'm sure you will love it. You will have your hubby to support you and I always try to tell myself that I don't have to do anything that I feel that I can't. This very often results in me finding out that I can do it after all....if that makes sense!!! as I don't know exactly what triggers your anxiety it is difficult to suggest anything. What works for some may not work for others. Anyway, I hope you do enjoy your holiday and will think of you. Hugs. XXXXX

speedey
13-07-09, 13:53
Hi,

You will be fine. I know what you mean though but you know why it is? Its because you "think" you won't be in your "safe zone" but thats not the case! Imagine you are in a giant bubble - hear me out on this one. Imagine the bubble you are in is just a bit bigger in diameter than if you outstretched your arms in all directions. In this bubble is your safe zone and you carry your safe zone around with you where ever you go, no matter where you are. Your brain automatically recongnises this "safe zone" or "your space" because when people get too close to you or "step into your zone", you generally wise up and your brain tells you that someone is invading your space and you react accordingly whether you step back, move away, turn away or what ever. It works for me, try it out you will be fine and enjoy your break. Once you are there you will think "what was the problem".

Hope this helps

MOJO
13-07-09, 20:05
Thank you all so much for replying! My anxiety is triggered by almost everything and nothing!:blush: The thought of doing anything sets me off, I just wake anxious. Silly thing is the evening is almost always better and I can then imagine myself doing lots of things without feeling anxious about it! I don't understand why this is. I will try the "bubble" exercise, thank you for suggesting it. I am determined to go and enjoy myself as best I can...I'm hoping I will be pleasantly surprised and things will go well. xxx

kestral
13-07-09, 20:36
your as safe in eastbourne as you are at home. i suffer from what your feeling and my wife always tells me if things are going to happen they will no matter where we are. as a result of this advice its somehow settled my thinking and ive enjoyed many holidays. she says live for the day and thats all we can do.

MOJO
15-07-09, 09:05
Anxiety is getting out of control now. Yesterday and now today anxiety awful all time. Have terrible churning, tightness in stomch. Pain in chest and keep feeling faint. It's not even Friday yet. Will I be able to go at all? Can't cancel now, Oh what can I do to calm down a bit. Every minute feels like an hour.:weep: :weep: :weep:

Diane O'Brien
15-07-09, 10:01
Hello Mojo

I just wonna reply and say I,m havin the same symptoms today and I don't know why. However I always feel the constant panic when I go on holiday. Its 4 me the feelin of change and lack of control I think. When u actually set off u may be able to relax more and I hope u have a fantastic holiday and a well deserved break. On the train I find the movement and the noise of a train quite relaxin.

MOJO
15-07-09, 10:08
Thanks for the reply Diane. I just so wish I could go away and live my life without a second thought like I used to. I know everyone here must feel the same. I would give almost anything to be well. Sorry, but am feeling desperate at the moment.:weep:

Diane O'Brien
15-07-09, 10:13
:hugs: :hugs: Big hugs 4 u. :shades: :shades: Can't u look at photographs of past holidays, maybe that will help.:D I hope so.

MOJO
15-07-09, 14:25
Thank you for your support and suggestions Diane. It's good to know someone is there listening that understands how I feel.:hugs: xx

kestral
16-07-09, 10:41
feel what you feel but know thats all it is, a bloody horrible feeling. you know thats how you will be because thats how you react in these circumstances. you also know youll feel tremendous relief when you get back from your holiday. hang in there and enjoy being healthy and able to experience time out from the housework. youll see some superb scenery on the train trip. i look forward to your post saying how much youve enjoyed yourself. by the way, visit the ice cream parlor opposite the theatres, thats worth the trip alone.

starlady
16-07-09, 11:56
Hi, Im travelling monday by train from lpool to hastings and also feel nervy. I havent had a panic attack for a couple of weeks now and have felt great. For the last couple of days though i have felt a sort of dissociated feeling....as though things are not real and had to push myself to do everyday tasks. Feel like i just want to get home safe. Evening time is gr8 for me where i know i can relax. Ang. x

sb001f8994
16-07-09, 12:11
Hi Mojo,
Sometimes I think the waiting for the holiday is actually more stressful than the holiday itself! We imagine all the worse senarios and the 'what ifs'! More often than not the holiday is brilliant and we wonder why we made such a fuss. Then what happens? We book another holiday and go through the same anxiety again. I hope you have a great holiday. My parents were in Eastbourne last week and she said it was like being abroad! Enjoy yourself and take care,
Carol x

MOJO
16-07-09, 19:23
Thank you all for the replies. I know anticipation is my biggest problem. Today has been an absolute nightmare. It's 7.15 and I still havn't calmed down. Slightly better than this morning but not much. I guess the evening calming isn't going to happen today. Plane from here to Glasgow is at 2 tomorrow afternoon. Goodness knows what I'll be like by then! I could probably fly to Glagow myself without the aid of a plane I will be so high!!:ohmy:

I'm sure I will calm down when I arrive, and I know I will be proud of myself once I have done it. I could just kick myself as I can't believe how many times in the past I travelled and went on holiday and it never put me up nor down. The only thing that has changed is my stupid brain!!!!

Thanks again to all of you for your good wishes. I will post a report when I get back (if I'm not on here tomorrow morning before I go looking for more reassurance!!). Good luck too to anyone else feeling this way and about to go off on holiday.xxx