PDA

View Full Version : Weeing off venlafaxine this time

dylankayaroberts
13-07-09, 11:16
Numerous times I have tried to come off permantly venlafaxine 150 mg daily by eliminating 75 mg, of it and going down to one capsule of 75 mg a day but it didnt work, because anxiety was rocketed, felt so edgy jittery felt like was going to snap, so went back to 150 mg daily.
Aggression was quite severe and mood swings.
Have been taking venlafaxine since 03 late 03 so its quite hindered to the body, if miss a dose one day feel like been knocked out by a train, so have to be careful.

Have also tried 225 mg which really didnt do anything other then make me feel very drowsy and even more sedated.
Wanted to do a ten or twenty per cent reduction from 150 mg but they dont do capsules like that only pills that arent serotone inhibitors, so it has to be capsules.
The other way that havent tried yet is eliminating the beads out of the capsule one at a time but dont have a plan, for this or withdrawal programme, so should go to GP.
The thing is will this work, has anyone done this, how long will it take as want to be off these pills because they arent doing anything now.
If so would like some help regarding this thanks.
Dylan Roberts 28

Mich1111
14-07-09, 12:13
I would definately go to your doctor and let him/her wean you off it gradually.

I was on this medicine for years and found it a god send but its definately something that should just not be stopped especially from 75mg from my experience. There is a 37.5g tablet - the doctors will tell you how to come off them to reduce any withdrawal effects.

I do wonder that the fact you feel so jittery/anxious when you miss a dose means they are working.

nicros
14-07-09, 13:18
Hi I have GAD and have been on 75mg venlafaxine slow release capsules for 3 years and they are doing nothing now so went to see my Dr. He helped me do a withdrawal plan, I take 75mg and 37.5mg tablets alternate days for 3 weeks which I've done and it was ok. I'm now on the 3 weeks of 37.5mg tablets once a day. It is getting a little harder as my energy levels are slipping a bit and I keep getting stomach cramps in the afternoon, but its not too bad to bare. I then stop but I'm not sure about this as I've heard breaking the tablet in half for a further week eases the symptoms. I have tried 3 times to come off these in different ways but this seems to be the easiest and I hope to make it this time, good luck and go and see your Dr for help. My OH also made me a spreadsheet chart so I can just tick off the med as I take it so I remember where i am with it this is really helpfull too. Nic :hugs:

jo61
14-07-09, 14:57
After 3/4 unsuccessful attempts I got off Effexor Spring 2008 and have never looked back. What my shrink did when I got to 1 capsule every other day (the tablets - non XR made me nauseous) was replace it gradually with Prozac and that's easy to get off as it has a long half life. Deffo go to doc for advice - you should not have to do this on your own.:hugs:

dylankayaroberts
16-07-09, 12:18
What about eliminating the beads out of the capsule is that not something that should work.
The tablets surely cannot do as they are not XR or inhibitors.
In any case will be going to GP

tj0121
18-07-09, 12:46
I would def see a doctor about getting help coming off it, I took my last venlafaxine today, a 37.5mg pill, so glad to be free of it. It is a nasty drug, but you can get off it with help :)