PDA

View Full Version : Finally admitted I have an anxiety issue!

tygwyn
16-09-05, 09:42
Hello guys

Well here is my story (apologies if you fall asleep!).

2 weeks ago I had what I now believe to be a mild panic attack (my first). I was at home alone with my 5 year old daughter and had the typical palpitations, shaking etc. Luckily I managed to get my husband home from work and so the pressure was off. I'm pretty sure that had I not been on my own then it wouldn't have escalated the way it did.

We are currently in the process of emigrating and so stress was a very feasible cause of this. I decided to take a back seat with regards to all the immigration paperwork etc and try to relax. I cut out caffiene and alcohol and bought a job lot of Kalms! This seemed to be working fine for me and I was relaxed and sleeping well.

Two days later I went to the docs to explain what had happened and after her realising that I had been under a great deal of stress lately she advised I try 20mg Citalopram. I was really unsure about this as I was in effect feeling fine and hadn't really experienced any other problems. As it was prescribed though I had total faith in the doctor and decided she wouldnt have prescribed it if I didn't need it!

Well after taking two of the tablets I went into acute anxiety. I was absolutely terrified. This went on for a couple of days whereby in the end I was given diazapem to calm me down. I am now not taking any prescription drugs but have a constant anxious feeling in my stomach. For the first couple of days I did feel slightly agraphobic but I had no intension of letting that take a grip of me and so I made sure I went out to places where I knew there would be a lot of people. It was difficult at first but thankfully now I seem to have overcome that side of things.

Now I seem to be up and down like a yo yo! I got extremely down yesterday and because of this I had a really anxious night. My anxiety seems to be solely about anxiety (if you know what I mean?). I am constantly anxious that I may become anxioua - it a viscious flamin circle isn't it and one that is really frustrating me and getting me down.

I was trying to get through this without taking any sort of medication after the problem with the Citalopram but last night I took kalms again and I've decided to continue with them for the time being. Is anyone else taking them?

I have been looking for different reasons for me feeling this way (early menopause etc!) but I've finally admitted to myself that I have a problem with anxiety - whether it was brought on by the Citalopram or not (which I believe it was after reading some experiences of others - I know it works for some though!).

Hopefully it will pass as quickly as it arrived but its hard to believe that isn't it. At night time the anxiety seems overwhelming. I've lost weight (not as much as I need to admittedly!) and just dont feel myself. I seem to be constantly arguing with myself telling myself to shape up!

Right I think that will do for now - WAKE UP EVERYONE!! LOL

Take care all

seh1980
16-09-05, 11:39
Hello and welcome aboard!! :)

It is quite normal to feel worse for the first week or two when going on meds. I had the same when I started Cipralex (the new Citalopran). After a couple of weeks, it will start to have an effect and you should start to feel the benefits..

Hope we can offer you some good support here :D

"Life is too important to take seriously" Corky Siegal

Karen
16-09-05, 11:49
Hi tygwn

Welcome to the forum. It does sound like the Citalopram exacerbated your anxiety and this is a common side effect that can occur in the first couple of weeks. Medication is not the right route for everyone and I can see why you made the decision not to continue with it.

You have done well to continue getting on with life and getting out and about despite the anxiety. It is true that giving in to the scary thoughts and staying home could lead to agoraphobia and you have managed to avoid this.

The general anxiety is something that most of us can relate to, as well as the fear of fear cycle. You worry about feeling anxious, which causes anxiety and fuels the fear and, as you have said, it becomes a vicious circle.

The ups and downs of your mood are also normal for anyone experiencing anxiety and this will settle as you progress in managing the anxiety.

Have a read of the First Steps (http://www.nomorepanic.co.uk/default.asp?t=cms&c=firststeps) and see how you can implement some of the suggestions made here.

Regular relaxation would also be beneficial, as well as some exercise and ensuring you eat a healthy diet.

You are already doing well and making good progress and can get through this.

Karen

It is not easy to find happiness in ourselves, and it is not possible to find it elsewhere.

skibba
16-09-05, 12:17
Hiya you,
I was prescribed citalopram and for the first few weeks it made things a whole lot worse but things are now so much better. Maybe 20mg was quite a high starting dose for you. I started on 10mg but that was still tough. I hope you are ok and you find this site helpful...

Skibbs

pips
16-09-05, 12:19
Hi tygwn,

A warm welcome to the site.

Sorry you are having such a battle with the anxiety. I do understand how you feel as i seem to be up and down like a yoyo this is a post i done a while ago about it NO PATTERN TO ME FEELING LIKE A YOYO!!!! (http://www.nomorepanic.co.uk/showthread.php?t=4188)

I like yourself are often searching for reasons but there arn't always reasons why. So the best thing i try to do now is just not fight it and accept how i'm feeling and try to ignore it and get on the best I can.

Good Luck with everything!

Take care,

Love PIP'S X X

Meg
16-09-05, 12:56
Hello tygwyn

Sounds like a pint pot too full scenario.. and the 2nd lot was a direct reaction to the Citalopram. It is a mood altering drug and so does affect what goes on.

Now you are off it, try to tell yourself that it is behind you and not likely to return as you are now looking after yourself better.

Be a bit more gentle on yourself and acept that with all that is going on, its not surprising that you are feeling a bit off kilter.

Meg
www.anxietymanagementltd.com

Your anxiety is the human representation of the pictures that you paint using your many vivid colours of revolving and reoccurring thoughts.
How big is your gallery ?

Elaine1
16-09-05, 14:34
Hi Tygwyn

A huge welcome to the site. I do help you find some friends and support here.

I can't comment on Citalopram, as I have only just started taking it.

I like you am anxious and suffer badly at night, this is still quite new for me, so I can identify with you.

There definately seem to be ups and downs and most of the time it is difficult to explain why. I am beginning to learn to et those feelings go and trying to occupy my mind, but with nothing too diifficult!

It is good that you are still going out and about, something to be proud of.

Try to keep thinking positive

all the best

Elaine

dream
16-09-05, 14:34
hi tygwyn sorry to hear your feeling like this at the mo ive not been on this site long but every one is so helpfull and have lots of good advice you sound as though you are not going to let this get the better of you which is great and after reading so many storys on here i think that is the best way to feel better, be positive and have good thoughts well done and welcome take care xx

denise

clickaway
16-09-05, 15:32
Hi tygwyn

Anxiety can often be bought on by major life changing events, so I guess emmigrating does indeed fit into this category!

Many of us suffer worse at night as we have no distractions going on, so we focus on the anxiety, often out of all proportion.

Accept that your physical symptoms, however unpleasant, are just this and it will help your recovery.

There's a wealth of advice and support here, so stick around!

Take Care,

Ray

And when you get the choice to sit it out or dance, I hope you dance.
~Mark Sanders and Tia Sillers

sueiamnew
16-09-05, 18:01
Welcome to the site Tygwyn.

tammyg
16-09-05, 19:33
Welcome,

sounds like you have been given some good advice already. Don't be too hard on yourself.

Tam x

tygwyn
16-09-05, 20:39
Thanks ever so much for your replies everyone - very much appreciated.

I wasn't having too bad a day today but suddenly came over all emotional and had to have a cry. I've been trying to cope with it without taking the Kalms (hate to admit to myself that I can't deal with this on my own!) but I think I'm gonna have to use them regularly to try and level me out for a while.

Thanks again everyone for a lovely warm welcome and some great advice!

Cinders4
19-09-05, 14:57
your story is so familiar to many of us, glad you found the site, Its brilliant, you will get the support you need here.... promise x

jill
19-09-05, 19:13
Hi Tam

WELCOME TO THE SITE

TAKE CARE

LOVE JILLXX

desperate
19-09-05, 19:22
Hi Tam,

Looks like you are making some progress to help you, well done and welcome!

First Anxiety...then panic attacks...now GAD and depression

tracyp584
19-09-05, 20:06
Hey Tygwyn,

Welcome to the site. You sound like you are having a very stressful time at the moment, but you are definately in the right place for lots of advice and support.

Take care,

tracy x x

Sue K with 5
20-09-05, 00:55
Hi

Well done for fighting the signs of the agoraphobia, thats brilliant, you have made some good steps in overcoming your anxiety.

Deep breaths and relaxtion are a great way to relieve tension and stress

this forum is a great place for help and support so welcome

Take care and good luck with the move

sue with 5

scknight