PDA

View Full Version : I feel like I am going mad!!

lollypop75
13-07-09, 22:10
Hi all

I just had to try and put my thoughts into words to see if anyone else can offer any advise to me ...

I think I am having panic attacks/anxiety attacks but am not really sure! They seem to have started just over 2 years ago now when I had what can only be classed as an "episode" during a weekend away at the seaside. I had been up late the night before, had a few glasses of wine, been out for a meal etc. The next day, we didn't eat until late but I was feeling absolutely fine. We like to play shoot um up computer games and had been playing them for a couple of years so thought nothing of it but part way through playing I started to lose the vision in one eye and my head felt "funny" ... I kept looking away from the screen and back but it wouldn't go away. I told my boyfriend that I had to go and sit down and asked if he would go and get me something sugary to drink as my first thought was maybe my blood sugar was a little low. To cut a long story short, I apparently had a seizure and woke up in the back of an ambulance on my way to hospital. Various tests were carried out there and later an MRI scan on my head but all came back normal. I have had 2 smiliar episodes in the last 13 years but again, after blood tests, EEG etc. all reported as normal. Unfortunately, the doctor still wouldn't allow me to drive for a year which was very annoying!

Well, since the last attack this is when my symptoms have started, that awful dizzy/light headed feeling that comes and goes or stays with my for days at a time ... I've occassionally had a tight chest and felt my breathing wasn't quite normal and during a recent flight back from Canada thought I was going to die as the air didn't feel right and got the real shakes/shivers and tried to calm myself down with a glass of wine and trying to think about absolutely anything else that I could!

Some of the things that make the feelings worse are when I haven't had enough sleep and I get scared that might bring on an attack or when I have had some wine in the evening or if I haven't eaten regular meals. I feel my heart beating and find myself checking my pulse and trying to calm down. The bright lights in supermarkets or WHSmith sometimes make me feel funny and I have to get out of the shop as quick as I can and the sunlight that sometimes flashes through trees when I am driving.

I have even had to stop driving on the way home from work as I felt "funny" and thought I might have an attack on the way home and colleagues have had to drive me home!

I also had the stress of my ex-husband cheating on me 5 years ago, which he admitted to as he felt so guilty and me consequently leaving him. We are now divorced. I have also been in a relationship for 4 years now which is going well but I start to panic if he makes plans to go out or stop away, bringing back all my thoughts about the past even though I tell myself that this is a different person and that he won't cheat on me, I worry so much about other people around him or when he makes plans really last minute which totally upskittles me!

I have an appointment at the doctors tomorrow afternoon and I need to somehow explain all this stuff to him and try and get advice but I was wondering if anyone else is feeling or has ever felt like this??

I mentioned to my boyfriend this evening that I am going to the doctors and believe that I am suffering from stress as when I start feeling "funny" I get so scared and think that I am going to die!!! He didn't really know what to say I think which I guess is pretty understandable but equally didn't help me too much! I sometimes don't like to be in the house on my own when my head feels funny as I think what if I have an attack in the house and nobody knows and I die! I ask my boyfriend now to make sure that his mobile is switched on so that I can contact him, should I start to feel strange!

If anyone can offer any sort of advice it would really be gratefully appreciated! :blush:

Best wishes
Lou

kenboon
13-07-09, 22:20
Hi,

Definatly the best bet to get to the DRs and have a chat about it. But it does all sound like its anxiety related. Stress is a major factor with this illness, lack of rest seems to be another trigger. This page http://www.nomorepanic.co.uk/NMPcms.php?nmppage=symptoms is very informative about the symptoms you get with anxiety and panic attacks. It may well be something that rings a few bells with you.

Hope your feeling better soon

Ken

14-07-09, 03:11
"I feel like I am going mad" ?

Is that really true?

Do you know what it feels like to go mad, or are you just projecting what you think it feels like? I would bet the later...one of the most basic things you can learn about anxiety/panic, is that you aren't "going mad"

The second thing is...your heightened alertness is all part of the symptoms of anxiety/panic, but nothing to worry about, in and of themselves...

3rd...figure out, whats the worst thing that can happen to you if you had a panic attack...and there lies the answer to getting over it...what I can tell you, is that whatever you are telling yourself, is to be taken with a grain of salt