PDA

View Full Version : Caffeine

matthew
14-07-09, 10:50
Hi all,

Can caffeine make you anxious or bring on Anxiety Attacks?

The reason why I ask is because I am currently training hard at the gym and am taking a supplement called Thermobol which is you can buy in major supplement shops. I am meant to be taking 3 capsules spaced out throughout the day, but each capsule contains the equivalent to 2 cups of coffee and I'm meant to take 3 per day. I never usually drink tea or coffee or anything with stimulents in.

Would be interesting to find out if it is related to anxiety as I am feeling rather weird both physically and mentally at times.

Thanks for your help!

Matt

redballoons
14-07-09, 10:58
yes it does for me anyway - if i drink high caffeine drinks etc I get very shaky and anxious

sophie

Veronica H
14-07-09, 11:10
Absolutely Matt. Get rid of them.

Veronica

lanny_fa
14-07-09, 11:33
Caffeine has the same effect on me too so I avoid it.... it gives me headaches and make me anxious too...:unsure:

Jaco45er
14-07-09, 13:08
I am not convinced caffeine affect everyone the same Mathew.

I dropped caffeine for a while when I was ill, and anxiety was still intense. I drink coffee when not anxious, and it doesn't give me anxiety.

I think if you are in an anxious state, it just adds to the symptoms, but doesn't actually cause anxiety (my own humble opinion ;)).

However mate, check what you are taking. There are lots of supplements on the market and not all are cracked up to what they claim to be.

Caffiene Slows the breakdown of muscle glycogen, so you can have a longer workout. But you only need like 3 or 4 mg for this, and a cup of coffee can have in excess of 80mg plus.

Interesting enough, last week scientists have claimed that 5 cups of coffee a day combat dementia (I think it was that, or could have been alzheimers) and everyone thinks coffee is bad ;)

Jaco