PDA

View Full Version : Useless Imagination

Mudskipper
14-07-09, 15:50
That's where my problems began, with an over-active imagination when I was only 6 years old and someone told me there was an ice-age on the way. In my mind that meant back to the caves, no modern conveniences and fighting off the mammoths. It freaked me out seriously and I've had the same thing ever since; somebody says something, or I read something in a paper or see it on the news and wham! My imagination hits the accelerator and almost immediately I'm contemplating the absolute worst-case scenario. Sometimes it's almost comical, like when I went to see the stage version of Jeff Waynes' War of the Worlds a couple of weeks ago. Next morning there was a news item on the television about potentially good conditions for life on one of Saturns' moons. Yes I freaked. What if the little green men were sat there all along just waiting their chance? Got a handle on that one and managed to smile about it later.

But then there's the more distressing ones. In my mind the flu virus mutates and kills my kids, the most important things in my life. Worse still, it kills me and my wife and maybe everyone we know, leaving my kids alone with no-one. Sometimes I just sit somewhere quiet and weep at the thoughts in my head. One of my past counsellors suggested I put my imagination to good use and write a book, so I've written 7 to date, but no-one wants to publish them and the negative thoughts keep coming.

So how do you smother the imagination? Valium did it for a while, but the doc won't prescribe it long-term. Hypnotherapy didn't work long-term, CBT too much hard work. Alcohol's a no-no but tempting. I can well understand people hitting the bottle just to forget.

I'm not even sure why I'm writing this, except for a need to vent and the certain knowledge that my wife won't want to know when I get home...:unsure: