PDA

View Full Version : Anxiety and Alchohol

ewan.valentine
15-07-09, 01:30
Over the past 2 years i've slowly grown into the habbit of drinking as an escape from my General Anxiety Disorder, just wondered if anyone became dependant on alcohol from anxiety problems?

Oceanblue
15-07-09, 02:11
Yes I've been dependant in the past, things had become so out of control, I became physically addicted not just emotionally, and therefore had to spend sometime in rehab to detox, this was round about 4years ago.

I believe I also have an addictive personality and have recently started to go back down the same old road ( thinking I could drink sensibly ), but I have a problem with alcohol and that is once I start, I can't stop - until I pass out.

I'm currently in hospital for Bipolar, but beforehand I was attending AA meetings, although I know I'm not physically addicted, I know I am emotionally and think it'll always be that way. I seem to think a quick fix won't hurt, but then that quick fix becomes lots of quick fixes and I end up drinking and drinking, but of course those problems, like Anxiety etc don't ever go away for good and so it's never any solution to anything.

I'm going to carry on with the AA when I'm well.

These people are the only people that really understand, most have ended up becoming an alcoholic because of exactly the same reasons, so please careful.

ITGuy101
27-07-09, 04:51
it has always given me a quick fix but more and more is required to make it last a little longer each time.

Now i worry about any abdominal pain that i get is my liver or pancreas failing due to alcohol abuse. :(

Keeway
28-07-09, 12:10
Hi
I became dependant on alcohol over a number of years because of anxiety. I used the alcohol as a coping mechanism, until I got taken into hospital at the beginning of January with liver and kidney failure - not recommended. I can't have alcohol at all now, so am having to find an alternative way to cope.

I've made this brief here, but feel free to pm me if you want to ask any questions

Teresa