PDA

View Full Version : Lipoma on leg

MandySlade
15-07-09, 06:36
So, I have this lump on my leg, under the stick, about an inch in diameter. It's more notable when my leg is flexed or I'm wearing heels.. then it tends to stick out more. The first time I noticed it was when I was about 16 (which was 14 years ago). I've never asked a doctor about it, but randomly became obsessed with it a few months back when I "felt like" it "might be" getting bigger. I asked my doctor about it and he said it was a lipoma.. a benign fatty tumor. I was mostly happy to hear it, but recently I've been obsessing about it again. I googled it (I know I know) and read that they are rare on the legs, rare in people under middle age, and are more common in over weight people. Well, I'm very thin and I've had it since (at least) my teen years. So, now I keep saying to myself "WHY do you have it?" "What does this MEAN?". I keep wondering if it makes me more likely to develop other tumors, or worse, if it IS something "else" because it doesn't fit the typical scenerio. I feel defective and at risk. I know that sounds silly... *sigh*.

and another "silly" thing... I don't particularly like having anything with a name that ends in "oma" on/in my body.

randomworry
15-07-09, 11:21
hiya remember we are all different all the statistics show about lipoma's are the common trend ....maybe they are more common in older people but it did not say ONLY older people get them.

all the best

moore
16-07-09, 13:42
I have one behind my ear, and the doctor told me it might get bigger or it might not. So far it hasnt.

PUGLETMUM
16-07-09, 14:29
i currently have 4 lipomas - 3 in my legs one in my arm - 2 in my legs are big and painful at times. i have a large one on my inner thigh which hurts ALOT at times - one on the outside of my other leg which i feel sometimes, and one on my shin bone which has caused me pain and my gp told me if it gets bigger or causes me any more pain i will have to see as sugeon. i also have a small one in one of my forearms. they first started after i had my daughter when i was 25 - and i read you can have up to 20!!! so dont worry about them they are very rarely serious - beleive me ive had bad HA, but i dont worry about these, i belive what they say about them and i just forget about them unless they hurt!

tiredOfOcd
16-07-09, 15:14
Bumps and lumps on the body have been particularly difficult for me to deal with. They cause me an HUGE amount of anxiety - but in my entire life I've only had to have one removed. It was at my request and was as a result of ME POKING AROUND AT MY OWN BODY.

The surgeon said "I got in and found a pouch of thickened skin. I took it out" and that was the end of it.

How absolutely humiliating - I caused my own problem by rubbing this particular spot on my leg for several months. It resulted in my being scared out of my wits and ultimately having outpatient surgery.

On top of that - I now freak out whenever I find something that MAY EVEN LOOK LIKE a bump or lump.

miss diagnosis
16-07-09, 20:54
hi.

my son had one of these on his knee when he was 6! went in to the hospital for a scan and it just disappered after a while.

try not to worry about it. i know about the "oma" thing though..

try to think of good things that end in oma

diploma eh roma,paploma!

beabea
08-09-09, 20:29
Hey all,

I love this website! Just read all the above comments as I have a couple on my rib cage I have had them checked but at those certain times when you're a bit low, you suddenly obsess about them again! I always seem to find comments on here that make me feel better. A big thank you to you all! xx

amu
09-09-09, 11:40
Hi Mandy

my husband is 24 and he is very skinny. Despite this he has had lipomas since he was about 17 or 18. He has three or four on his forearm, one on his back and at least two on his legs. So don't believe everything you read :)

Amu