PDA

View Full Version : water ovderose?

daisycake
15-07-09, 21:13
stupid I know and up until 6ish I've been pretty good today but there you go.. Tonight since like 7ish I've had to drink one pint glass of water (apparently only half a pint but meh), then a smaller glass, then half a smaller glass - and I went for a wee in between that (sorry!) - my question, is that enough to cause a water overdose or should I be fine? lol I've worried about this one a few times before but not in quite a while :S think the anticipation of going on hols is making me more anxious than ever! thanks xx

daisycake
15-07-09, 21:35
just worked out I've only had like 600 ml or something, that shouldn't be a problem :) glad that's over quickly!

nomorepanic
15-07-09, 21:42
Why did you have to drink the water - I am confused?

daisycake
15-07-09, 21:48
ah no I've worded it wrongly; meaning I wanted to drink that much cos I was thirsty; does that make sense? :)

nomorepanic
15-07-09, 21:51
Ok those that have died from too much water were drinking something like 5 litres a day.

You probably didn't even have the recommended 2 litres a day

moore
15-07-09, 22:22
it's actually surprisingly hard to kill yourself with water, which is why very few people manage!

You might get a headache and need to go to the toilet about 5 times tho. lol.

k9love
15-07-09, 23:25
I took the advice of drinking 2 litres a day and ended up having swollen stomach and frightening symptoms! ended up having all sorts of tests! so decided to stop the water and symptoms went away! I still drink water tho but just a couple of glasses a day.

nomorepanic
15-07-09, 23:28
Are you sure this was water related - did they tell you it was?

moore
15-07-09, 23:28
I took the advice of drinking 2 litres a day and ended up having swollen stomach and frightening symptoms! ended up having all sorts of tests! so decided to stop the water and symptoms went away! I still drink water tho but just a couple of glasses a day.

"they" have now decided that you shouldnt aim to drink any fixed amount of water in a day, but in fact you should ...get this....drink when you are thirsty.
Funny, that.

nomorepanic
15-07-09, 23:30
Where did you read that?

Stressed32
15-07-09, 23:34
sometimes you can feel hungry when in fact it is water your body needs...so drinking only when thirsty deprives your body of needed water. I feel better when I drink water...about 8 bottles a day usually. You should not chug it all at once....of course you would get sick then. Water is good for you and you need to drink plenty of it for your body to function properly.....would u allow ur car to run on low oil...nope. Your body is the same.

moore
16-07-09, 13:01
Where did you read that?

saw it on tv, but here's one article..

http://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=89323934

clsmith9
16-07-09, 22:58
hey just thought id let u know, im a biomedical scientist (which is prob why my health anxiety is so bad, i know too much but too little). the only way to kill urself with water is if the electrolytes eg salt n stuff go out of your cells (due to excessive exercise and i mean excessive) and u then consume like 5L OF WATER within a short space of time. please dont think in future if u think u have drank too much though " oh ill have some salt to balance it out lol" it doesnt work that way. i just wanted u to know its difficult and its in exercise etc this hppens not just by rinking lots when ur thirsty. hope this makes anyone worried feel a bit better xx